Menu

I'm still needing help choosing Geometry for my to-be 11th grader, for next year.  Any opinions on Teaching Textbook v2? My son found the first version to be not very helpful when he took the ACT.  Is the 2nd version better? Jacobs Geometry?

I'm not a maths person, nor is my daughter, and we can't do videos unless they're on disc, because our rural internet is on satellite, so  we can only download videos between midnight and 5 a.m., when they won't negatively impact our monthly bandwidth allowance(yes, this really is as much of a pain as it sounds like it would be).

Thank you!

Desiree

My dd is on the last two chapters of Holt Geometry 2007, and she gives it a big thumbs up. The student and teacher editions are readily available on Amazon, and so are the teaching videos. We have the videos (teacher is Burger, the Thinkwell guy), but she didn't use them very often. She found the text clear enough most of the time, and felt like watching the videos just added time. 

If you are wanting help for the ACT test, I suggest using  http://www.chalkdust.com/satrev.html ACT-SAT Math Review by Chalkdust.  

http://www.curriculumservices.com/sinterests/algebra%201%20cd%20sample.htm - This is the only place I see that still has the cd-roms listed, but if you can find these old packages from Classmate Math (now called YourTeacher.com), I suggest using them for a struggling student.  It's definitely NOT a rigorous program, but if you have a struggling student, they will help raise the ACT score a bit.  It's available now as a streaming program, but I know it used to be available as a set of cd-roms, but you will probably have to search a bit.

HTH

We have the same problem w/our internet. Derek Owens.com which uses Harold Jacobs text sent all the lessons/videos on a disk for us and it has worked great! He has been great and I love the format he uses!

This is very interesting.  Did you have to make a special request to Mr Owens or is that option on his site, and I just missed it?  Do you mind sharing the cost?  You can PM me if you would like. Thanks!

Yes....I had to ask once we enrolled and told him our situation and he sent it to us for free!

What I love: the detailed notebooks for taking notes and lectures, quick feedback, and the fact my sons SAT scores and standardized test scores this year were so strong....and he is only in 8th grade this year.

So glad I heard about him through this forum!