Menu

How far do you go in encouraging a young child's "passion"?

a27mom

Ok, at least you guys all have kids who are obsessed with *real* stuff.  My kid is obsessed with Harry Potter.  She has discovered Hogwarts is Here and is now taking classes, reading textbooks, writing essays . . . in Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts.  :glare:   How far do you go in encouraging *that* kind of passion?

I encourage it in the sense that I just sent my girls and their BFF the link to this  :lol:

Other than that, it's something they would do in their free time, at no charge, and I have no problem with it at all (and my kids are older than yours). 

BUT IT'S NOT REAL!!!!!!!!!  and part of me just keeps getting stuck on that - so much time and energy, learning all this stuff when there are so many interesting - and REAL - things to learn!!!!!  

If it's done in her free time, what does it matter? I have no problems with fandom myself - I think it's fun, and it can be very positive by encouraging people to express their creativity (fan fiction, fan art, games, and more). The site you referenced is run by fans; they had to figure out how to start and operate a web site, how to organize an online community, and create all that content. That's impressive, imo. 

I was completely obsessed with the tv show "Emergency!" when I was 11. There were many Tiger Beat posters involved, but no essays, lol. I grew up and became a fairly well functioning member of society (who is now obsessed with Firefly and The Avengers, thank you very much). 

When you're on these boards, you see and hear about so many amazing kids who have adult-level interests and abilities. That's awesome, but it's not most kids, and that's okay! Was in it Parenthood that the one family goes on and on about their toddler's academic achievements, while Steve Martin looks despairingly at his own son, who is slamming into the wall with a bucket on his head, lol? 

Can you insist the essays meet your standards. It is probably just as good practice as anything else I guess.

But it's not real.

Mind you if there had been a MOOC in the 70's on studying such things as heraldry and hawk training I would have been keen. Maybe the problem in my family isn't so much lack of enthusiasm as lack of encouragement.

I personally try to avoid taking charge of or controlling my kid's interests, or trying to make them more acceptable or educational. If she wants her Hogwarts' essay to count for her weekly writing assignment, then sure, it has to meet standards. But if she's doing it in addition to school? Let her roll. Besides, Hogwarts has its own teachers to grade the essay  :laugh:

I encourage it in the sense that I just sent my girls and their BFF the link to this  :lol:

Other than that, it's something they would do in their free time, at no charge, and I have no problem with it at all (and my kids are older than yours). 

If it's done in her free time, what does it matter? I have no problems with fandom myself - I think it's fun, and it can be very positive by encouraging people to express their creativity (fan fiction, fan art, games, and more). The site you referenced is run by fans; they had to figure out how to start and operate a web site, how to organize an online community, and create all that content. That's impressive, imo. 

I was completely obsessed with the tv show "Emergency!" when I was 11. There were many Tiger Beat posters involved, but no essays, lol. I grew up and became a fairly well functioning member of society (who is now obsessed with Firefly and The Avengers, thank you very much). 

When you're on these boards, you see and hear about so many amazing kids who have adult-level interests and abilities. That's awesome, but it's not most kids, and that's okay! Was in it Parenthood that the one family goes on and on about their toddler's academic achievements, while Steve Martin looks despairingly at his own son, who is slamming into the wall with a bucket on his head, lol? 

I personally try to avoid taking charge of or controlling my kid's interests, or trying to make them more acceptable or educational. If she wants her Hogwarts' essay to count for her weekly writing assignment, then sure, it has to meet standards. But if she's doing it in addition to school? Let her roll. Besides, Hogwarts has its own teachers to grade the essay  :laugh:

I love this whole post!  :laugh:

Ok, at least you guys all have kids who are obsessed with *real* stuff.  My kid is obsessed with Harry Potter.  She has discovered Hogwarts is Here and is now taking classes, reading textbooks, writing essays . . . in Transfiguration and Defense Against the Dark Arts.  :glare:   How far do you go in encouraging *that* kind of passion?

I don't know where you live but Geeks Who Drink does themed quizzes regularly in major cities across the US. I've been to the Harry Potter one all 3 times they've done it so far (almost yearly but staggered a bit so more than 12 months apart.) Sounds right up her alley and she could actually win some money! In my city the pot is usually around $750 but the popularity varies a lot by location so it just depends how many people show up.

Here's a list of their past themed quizzes: http://www.geekswhodrink.com/244/Previous%20Themed%20Quizzes/

What is real? I spend a good deal of time thinking about characters in situations that aren't real. It affects my daily life. I agonize and lose sleep over what should be done in imaginary situations involving people that don't exist. Does the fact that the people live in classics somehow make it OK that they aren't real?

Please say yes. :lol:

Wait, Atticus Finch isn't real?

My passion (among others) was imitating MJ's moonwalking and singing in the bathroom. :D

Getting the sneaky feeling that I am hijacking/ off-topic-ing the thread and will stealthily slither away now. :leaving:

I suspect that as parents and educators we should try to be open minded and accepting of our kids' genuine passions (genuine as opposed to peer pressure-fueled fads or harmful addictions). There's nothing wrong with having an interest that won't ever turn into a career (as long as it doesn't completely crowd out other activities). Also, there are numerous stories of famous people whose parents and teachers thought they were wasting time with pointless interests. Maybe something really important will come of the Harry Potter mania in the future, but we just can't see it yet.

I just think a lot of the important parts of learning, especially at this age (roughly 5-10 or so), are skills, not content.  The content will come, but if a kid is motivated to practice and improve certain skills through a content area that we consider relatively unuseful - oh well.  Violin is not any more useful, or hockey, or Tball, or art, or (for the most part) classic lit.  None of our kids (barring really extreme circumstances) are going to use their violin/hockey/tball/art/classic lit reading knowledge when they're adults - but they very well might use the skills of preparation, physical fitness, determination, appreciation of beauty, reading comprehension.  Hogwarts is no less good at teaching some of those skills than Suzuki or Little Women, if the kid is passionate about it,

I just think a lot of the important parts of learning, especially at this age (roughly 5-10 or so), are skills, not content.  The content will come, but if a kid is motivated to practice and improve certain skills through a content area that we consider relatively unuseful - oh well.  Violin is not any more useful, or hockey, or Tball, or art, or (for the most part) classic lit.  None of our kids (barring really extreme circumstances) are going to use their violin/hockey/tball/art/classic lit reading knowledge when they're adults - but they very well might use the skills of preparation, physical fitness, determination, appreciation of beauty, reading comprehension.  Hogwarts is no less good at teaching some of those skills than Suzuki or Little Women, if the kid is passionate about it,

You are so right. I try my best to encourage my young child's passions (even going to the levels of being thought a "crazy lady" who cannot prioritize her life and spends too much time/energy/money on her child's passions).

But, I am realizing that in things like music and sports, unless my child wishes to perform in Carnegie Hall by age 11 or be a teen Olympian (these are definitely not us) the things that he gets out of these endeavors are skills, discipline, familiarity with the content/rules, physical fitness, friendships, a certain way of thinking, striving to reach goals etc at the ages of 5-10.

I hope that my kid uses the knowledge he gets out of music and sports when he is an adult - I want him to continue to play a musical instrument in order to have a skill that could bring enjoyment throughout his life and I want him to pick up a basketball and go shoot hoops a few times a week for fun as an adult (it could be any other thing like biking, swimming etc). And maybe he can pass his skills along to his children later on.

I am also becoming aware that I should open my child's eyes to other avenues, opportunities and options and see that he does not get "typecast" as that "chess playing, piano playing, tennis playing kid" or whatever (even in his own mind) and that he should try out a lot of other things during the younger years when he has a chance. So, in the past 6 months, I have made an effort to reduce the amount of time my child spends on his passions and sign him up for other things that he has not tried before - we did a 6 week archery class together, he went to an afterschool art/crafts program, he attended a hands on science program at the local science museum - he enjoyed all of them. I am thinking of adding on fun things like horse riding, surf camp in summer, clay art, computer programming classes, astronomy club etc when the chance arises.

So, I am encouraging my child's passions while at the same time trying to bring in moderation and a limit on the time spent on them so that I can introduce him to newer opportunities now and he gets the chance to see what he might be missing when he is pursuing his passions.

I feel terrible admitting this, but when we've driven to a site early in the morning and I am tired, cranky, walking through wet grass, etc. . . I think, well at least I'm not dmmetler! At least we're not looking for snakes!

:lol:

Why, oh why did I post this?!?!?

Guess what was just added to our calendar... :svengo:

I suddenly feel my limits being pushed... :scared:

;)

Wait, what?  You're snake hunting now????  :lol:

NO! Not at all!  Lily will be snake hunting. (I will be trying to quietly chase them away from her! ;) )

We deal with snakes when we need to---moving them away from the house, etc. Actively looking for them? That's crazy talk!!  :willy_nilly:

Thankfully, this is just a side show, not a passion. That will be my mantra that day! :laugh:  (Or my prayer to the gods!)

Rose, just got my younger excited about HIH!  We are waiting for our e-mail. :toetap05:  I think it will be great for him, encouraging lots of skills that more mundane work just doesn't seem to do. Thanks so much for bringing it up!

Ruth in NZ

None of our kids (barring really extreme circumstances) are going to use their violin/hockey/tball/art/classic lit reading knowledge when they're adults - ,

Hmm, I don't know about my own DD - whether she will succeed in her current (five years & counting) passion, but I think it would pay to check which forum you are posting in. There are a higher than average number of outliers in the kids posted about on this board & of those mentioned in this thread I am quite certain a number *will* go on to pursue careers in those fields.

If you want snake interactions and don't need wild snakes, check local pet stores. Ours has a reptile night monthly (which I almost inevitably forget). We walked into it last night by accident, so DD got to spend about an hour chatting about snakes with various owners (among other things, one man had his Burmese Python-that was definitely a snake species for DD's bucket list), holding snakes, and petting snakes. It's the right time of year for it, because it's warm enough that it's safe to take reptiles out.

Wild herping snakes involves a lot of luck. They're good at hiding and well camouflaged, and most do their best to stay away from humans.  The Center for Snake Conservation has some suggestions on their website, but we have a lot of trips where we never see a wild snake, even when we're with people who have been field herping for 40+ years. Lizards, turtles, and amphibians in general are much, much easier to find.

Hmm, I don't know about my own DD - whether she will succeed in her current (five years & counting) passion, but I think it would pay to check which forum you are posting in. There are a higher than average number of outliers in the kids posted about on this board & of those mentioned in this thread I am quite certain a number *will* go on to pursue careers in those fields.

I was actually discussing this with one of DD's mentors last night, and as he says, you don't get herpetologists who aren't passionate about herpetology. It is just plain a field that unless you truly love the animals enough to not imagine doing anything else, you're not going to put in the effort and work involved and in some cases the active danger. And thinking about every person DD has interacted with for whom this is their profession, that's correct. Almost all of them, when talking to and meeting DD, have the reaction "She's just like me at that age. I wish my parents had done what you're doing." She's NOT an outlier in that community. She's 100% normal. It's just that herpetologists are a small percentage of the human population.

I suspect you'll find the same is true in other areas, too. I don't know that I know anyone with a PhD in a STEM field who wasn't passionate about that field since they were too young to know what the field was called. The PhD mechanical engineer is the same kid who all the neighbors knew to send their broken appliances to and who had taken over his parent's garage and stained every stainable surface in the house with grease-because he needed a constant stream of things to tinker with and build and rebuild or else he'd start finding them. The PhD chemistry professor is the kid who got suspended from school numerous times for various things that blew up or smelled bad and who's parents were on a first name basis with the local fire department.  The kid who constantly wrote irreverent stories with a lot of dark, somewhat borderline humor, and who's English teachers despaired because he had so much talent, yet often blew off assignments,  is a professional writer, who writes irreverent, funny, dark, edgy plays.

The people who weren't passionate about a field to the exclusion of everything else still went on and have still been successful, but the kids who had really, really strong passions at age 10 are often doing exactly what they wanted to do at that age.

Yup, that's why I said "barring extreme circumstances" and left out things like a passion for science or robotics or math  - the complaint/concern was about passions for content areas that had little career/real world potential, like Harry Potter, and I noted that there are a lot of other things we let our kids pursue passionately that also have no likely career or future - violin, ballet, baseball, art, etc.

Of course there are outliers, but I doubt there are many more outliers among gifted kids than non-gifted ones for non-academic content areas, and most of these things only offer future professions for the very very exceptional child.  I doubt many of us have our kid doing an hour of violin practice a day, or ballet or baseball or whatever, actually planning for the kid to become a professional violinist/baseball player.

If you want snake interactions and don't need wild snakes, check local pet stores. Ours has a reptile night monthly (which I almost inevitably forget). We walked into it last night by accident, so DD got to spend about an hour chatting about snakes with various owners (among other things, one man had his Burmese Python-that was definitely a snake species for DD's bucket list), holding snakes, and petting snakes. It's the right time of year for it, because it's warm enough that it's safe to take reptiles out.

Wild herping snakes involves a lot of luck. They're good at hiding and well camouflaged, and most do their best to stay away from humans.  The Center for Snake Conservation has some suggestions on their website, but we have a lot of trips where we never see a wild snake, even when we're with people who have been field herping for 40+ years. Lizards, turtles, and amphibians in general are much, much easier to find.

She's not just doing it for snake interactions. :)

Thanks, though!

(ETA: It just occurred to me that you might have been letting everyone know, in case anyone's dc are interested. At first I thought you were trying to save me  give me an alternative. ;) )

It will be interesting to see where these passions lead! We should do a follow-up thread several years down the road.

(For the record, I have no presumptions regarding what Lily will pursue in college. ;)  For us, nurturing whatever interests she has now is part of nurturing her growth and development--no matter what paths she finds herself on later in life.)

That would be interesting, to hear how these passions all pan out!

I try not have presumptions.  I'm getting a little better at discriminating between momentary obsessions and actual passions, I think.  Shannon went through an entomology obsession, and was sure she wanted to be an entomologist.  It passed.  Same thing with this year's astronomy obsession, I think.  OTOH, the horse thing seems more serious and long-lasting, even though I know it is a very common topic of obsession for girls her age.  The acting thing as well.  I have a hard time seeing how either of those things translates into a career/vocation/course of study, but then, it's not my life, right? 

I suspect she won't pursue witchcraft and wizardry in college, however.  ;)

Violin is not any more useful, or hockey, or Tball, or art, or (for the most part) classic lit.  None of our kids (barring really extreme circumstances) are going to use their violin/hockey/tball/art/classic lit reading knowledge when they're adults - but they very well might use the skills of preparation, physical fitness, determination, appreciation of beauty, reading comprehension.  Hogwarts is no less good at teaching some of those skills than Suzuki or Little Women, if the kid is passionate about it,

Whoa. Hold on there. I'm not entirely sure of your point here, but the bolded is wrong. Violin is not useful??  Not so!!  It does NOT take extreme circumstances to be playing violin as an adult. Or to be playing sports or to be painting or to be devouring classic literature.  Amateur musicians, artists and athletes find enjoyment and fulfillment all the way through adulthood.  Amateur MEANS "lover of" after all, and as a semi-professional but often unpaid violinist, I'd rather be a "lover of" music than some of the bored and cynical professionals I come across.  I play quartets with other amateur players and help lead community orchestras filled with people who work in other jobs -- engineers, doctors, social workers -- but who are talented, passionate and capable players.  Those hours of practice were NOT a waste, nor is the time we spend making music.

Some kids who are gifted in music are often academically gifted, too.  Many of the young string players I know are majoring in computer science or engineering and attending schools where they can continue to play.  My dad was a Harvard trained physics professor who played french horn in the symphony and later piano in dance bands around town.  

As to how some of these obsessions turn out, well I've watched my own sons and their friends growing up and see nothing but good things.  I can think of 3 who were rabid Harry Potter fans as teen agers (we all bonded over it as we'd be together at the midnight book releases). One just finished her pre-veterinary BS degree is a busy writer for a fan site.  It is a respectable enough site that she gets to go behind the scenes at Comic-Con and other events to interview the actors from popular, geeky, tv shows and movies.   Another young man is trying to make it in Hollywood as a writer.  He was writing Harry Potter fan fiction as a high school student, but also devouring every good movie and tv show he could while maintaining good grades and earning top AP scores.  Another young man who did Harry Potter plays with my son (he was Harry and my son was Ron) made all sorts of movies with my son and their friends, too, is now trying to make it in Hollywood as an actor.  

My own ds whose obsessions we thought would never amount to a decent career is, at 22, a college graduate earning enough in his dream job to support himself in Southern California.  How far did we go in encouraging him?  It was the amount of driving that seemed excessive to folk from the outside at the time, but we found mentors to teach him, lots of volunteer opportunities, made trips to feed and broaden his interests, let our house be the stage for all his creative productions.  The more he did as a teen, the more we parents learned about the myriad of opportunities in his field, which helped us to relax about his myopic passion.

I'm not sure that there has to be an obsession in a field in order to become a PhD.  My youngest was always interested in the world, always loved art, reading and science in general. We weren't sure where it would lead him -- writer?  Naturalist?  We simply fed all those interests.  He is now majoring in geology, though he was never really a rock hound as a kid, but is heading towards a PhD in the field.  He fell in love with the discipline his freshman year and is already a co-author on a published paper and this summer will be continuing doing field and lab work with his professor.  

I love hearing about the current crop of kids here on the accelerated forum.  I have no doubt they will find wonderful college programs and thrive as young adults.  I think the best part of homeschooling is that you can feed a passion when it is there, and our kids have opportunities to interact with and work along side professionals.  

Whoa. Hold on there. I'm not entirely sure of your point here, but the bolded is wrong. Violin is not useful??  Not so!!  It does NOT take extreme circumstances to be playing violin as an adult. Or to be playing sports or to be painting or to be devouring classic literature.  Amateur musicians, artists and athletes find enjoyment and fulfillment all the way through adulthood.  Amateur MEANS "lover of" after all, and as a semi-professional but often unpaid violinist, I'd rather be a "lover of" music than some of the bored and cynical professionals I come across.  I play quartets with other amateur players and help lead community orchestras filled with people who work in other jobs -- engineers, doctors, social workers -- but who are talented, passionate and capable players.  Those hours of practice were NOT a waste, nor is the time we spend making music.

You selectively quoted, and then restated inaccurately.

I did not say violin was not useful; reread.  

My dd10's passions have evolved but I am not sure I like where they are heading now.  At eight she wanted to be a vet and then at nine, a wildlife biologist.  We traveled to Peru, joined 4-H and she took up public speaking on behalf of endangered animals.  We did numerous field surveys, watershed studies, attended trainings, nature walks/lectures, conducted a three month water monitoring of local river, field trips, etc. She devoured animal encyclopedias, and read tons of books on endangered animals.   Fast forward two years later, after being involved and successful in academic science competitions, I no longer see the "passion" which is disturbing.  She is the one driving her involvement in competitions but I think it is more of a social outlet than anything else.  My concern is that I don't see her consumed by anything other than studying for upcoming competitions and I am not sure it is worth it.  

Does she really want to do the competitions? Surely if she does, then it will be worth it for the satisfaction of it (either winning something, of if not, knowing that she gave it her best shot).

My Ms 8 is currently on school holidays and training for her school cross country race that happens when they go back. We didn't suggest this. She was determined to practice running the course because she thought that she would win since nobody else in third grade would be training. We had a little heart to heart because I felt that she needed to know that, while practicing will improve her performance, it doesn't mean she is necessarily going to win; it's a fact of life that some kids are naturally better runners and will still be faster than her even with no training. (I didn't just say that. We also talked about things like how she is still a winner no matter where she places, and how the running is good for her fitness, and so on.) 

I know she is gaining skills (researching/studying) however there are different skills gained when used to create rather than test.  It feels as if we have jumped into the "academic competition box".   I am not saying it is a bad thing just that it does take time away from other pursuits. When she was doing her own thing, learning seemed more alive, purposeful and challenging.  We just need to review her goals again.

An hour's practice a day isn't really passion at the level of the level some posters in this thread are talking about...

3-8 hours of math a day over here.  I asked about the amount of time that should be allowed/encouraged for a passion on this thread.  Very very interesting and helpful ideas.

Ruth in NZ

Violin is not any more useful, or hockey, or Tball, or art, or (for the most part) classic lit.  None of our kids (barring really extreme circumstances) are going to use their violin/hockey/tball/art/classic lit reading knowledge when they're adults - but they very well might use the skills of preparation, physical fitness, determination, appreciation of beauty, reading comprehension.  Hogwarts is no less good at teaching some of those skills than Suzuki or Little Women, if the kid is passionate about it,

Even if a person is not one of those extremes there are numerous ways for them to use the actual skills they gain learning an instrument (or a sport) in their adult years. Not every musician who teaches lessons in a school or privately, plays in a local amateur orchestra, hangs out in a pub making music with others, sings in a choir, accompanies for church, or plays for their own enjoyment was once an outlier. People who played sports in their youth might end up coaching their children in the evenings when they get home from work or joining an adult team (I know a number of people on adult "for fun" soccer or hockey teams).

My kids haven't even hit their adult years and already have used their skills to teach and coach. Even if none ends up being a professional in their current area of passion, they have skills they can use to earn money to help finance their way through college or simply an outlet for their own enjoyment.

Even if a person is not one of those extremes there are numerous ways for them to use the actual skills they gain learning an instrument (or a sport) in their adult years. Not every musician who teaches lessons in a school or privately, plays in a local amateur orchestra, hangs out in a pub making music with others, sings in a choir, accompanies for church, or plays for their own enjoyment was once an outlier. People who played sports in their youth might end up coaching their children in the evenings when they get home from work or joining an adult team (I know a number of people on adult "for fun" soccer or hockey teams).

My kids haven't even hit their adult years and already have used their skills to teach and coach. Even if none ends up being a professional in their current area of passion, they have skills they can use to earn money to help finance their way through college or simply an outlet for their own enjoyment.

I think this is exactly what ananemone was saying. I don't fret about my son spending time to practice karate even though I don't expect him ever to be a karate instructor or Olympic competitor or anything. Because not only does he enjoy it, there are skills embedded in the activity that will grow him as a person. I think ananemone was trying to point out that it's okay for our kids to have rock obsessions or Hogwarts obsessions that don't grow into careers. Because the whole experience of finding an interest and pursuing it to the best of our ability is inherently valuable, from Dungeons & Dragons or Minecraft to astronomy or fiddling. A child with an astronomy interest *could* grow into a professional astronomer, and a child with an intense practice of fiddling *could* grow into a professional fiddler. But if they don't, it's not a waste or a failure, because there is value in having something like that in your life whether it's technically your career or not. So the same guidelines should be applied to builders of card houses and players of online Hogwarts. That intrinsic motivation can't be faked, so give the kid the reins and hold on for the ride!

I think this is exactly what ananemone was saying. I don't fret about my son spending time to practice karate even though I don't expect him ever to be a karate instructor or Olympic competitor or anything. Because not only does he enjoy it, there are skills embedded in the activity that will grow him as a person. I think ananemone was trying to point out that it's okay for our kids to have rock obsessions or Hogwarts obsessions that don't grow into careers. Because the whole experience of finding an interest and pursuing it to the best of our ability is inherently valuable, from Dungeons & Dragons or Minecraft to astronomy or fiddling. A child with an astronomy interest *could* grow into a professional astronomer, and a child with an intense practice of fiddling *could* grow into a professional fiddler. But if they don't, it's not a waste or a failure, because there is value in having something like that in your life whether it's technically your career or not. So the same guidelines should be applied to builders of card houses and players of online Hogwarts. That intrinsic motivation can't be faked, so give the kid the reins and hold on for the ride!

Well said!