Menu

Does this resource for literature exist? Looking for a cheap (free is good!) rundown of literary devices in children's books.

I am not looking for something like Figuratively Speaking or Teaching the Classics, both of which I already own. (ETA: In other words, I don't want to work backwards, with a list of literary devices and what books to find them in. I want a list of books and what literary devices are found in those particular books.) What I am looking for is a resource (or resources) that—without driving it into the ground or going on and on about hidden meaning (blah, blah, blah)—take high quality books (use your own definition) and point out literary devices chapter by chapter. You know, something for the novice to play along... I am not a fan of beating things into the ground here, but I would like a cheat sheet. 

Long ago, on my old computer, I bookmarked some online guides linked on the high school boards. I wonder if something like that is available for elementary and middle grade books.  

Scholastic has guides (one for picture books and one for chapter books) that are what you say you don't want....Bravewriter's Arrow or whatever it's called focuses on one book and points out one literary element, but I'm not sure that's terribly helpful either. Galore Park's Junior English highlights one book per chapter and tends to pull out elements, but I think you're more likely to find that in some analysis type guide to particular books, rather than a book about literary elements. I don't know. I'll be curious to see what others find.

ETA: I just thought of those books (although there are only a few) by Michael Clay Thompson. Not quite sure what they are like, but maybe a lead?

http://www.rfwp.com/series/mct-literature-program

Scholastic has guides (one for picture books and one for chapter books) that are what you say you don't want....Bravewriter's Arrow or whatever it's called focuses on one book and points out one literary element, but I'm not sure that's terribly helpful either. Galore Park's Junior English highlights one book per chapter and tends to pull out elements, but I think you're more likely to find that in some analysis type guide to particular books, rather than a book about literary elements. I don't know. I'll be curious to see what others find.

ETA: I just thought of those books (although there are only a few) by Michael Clay Thompson. Not quite sure what they are like, but maybe a lead?

http://www.rfwp.com/series/mct-literature-program

Thanks! I actually owned the first of the MCT sets (and still own the Mud trilogy). I liked them! They are expensive though, and I was hoping for (more, more, more!) books to be covered.

Reading Roadmaps?

hth,

Georgia

That is very interesting! I have never seen this before. Why have I never seen this before? At first glance, it looks good, even if not exactly what I'm looking for. Will have to sniff it out...

Know what you need to do? You need to go post that link in this thread. You will be a superhero to some people if you do that. :D Reading Roadmaps and TTC is probably the exact right hand-holding a lot of people would like!

:bigear:

I think I might be looking for the same thing!  I would love a set of annotated classics that have many examples of different literary devices clearly marked in the text.  Then I want a grid list of the books down the left with the devices listed across the top.  At the intersections of the book and device, I want the page number where that device occurs!  That way when we study a new device, I immediately have access to excellent examples of the device "in action" in excellent literature.  Also, I could look at the matrix and pick a read aloud that would give lots of examples of devices we have already studied, and since they would be marked in the text, I could easily point them out and discuss them with the kids as we read.  Doesn't that sound divine??

The MCT books are not nearly annotated enough for my liking.  They frustrated me for that reason... (particularly since I found them rather pricey for what you get).

Maybe one day I'll come up with the above matrix myself...  Perhaps I will find the time when I am old and gray....!

:bigear:

I think I might be looking for the same thing!  I would love a set of annotated classics that have many examples of different literary devices clearly marked in the text.  Then I want a grid list of the books down the left with the devices listed across the top.  At the intersections of the book and device, I want the page number where that device occurs!  That way when we study a new device, I immediately have access to excellent examples of the device "in action" in excellent literature.  Also, I could look at the matrix and pick a read aloud that would give lots of examples of devices we have already studied, and since they would be marked in the text, I could easily point them out and discuss them with the kids as we read.  Doesn't that sound divine??

The MCT books are not nearly annotated enough for my liking.  They frustrated me for that reason... (particularly since I found them rather pricey for what you get).

Maybe one day I'll come up with the above matrix myself...  Perhaps I will find the time when I am old and gray....!

That does sound cool! Tricky though with people liking different editions of the classics. (This was a problem I had with MCT; I wanted to use my pretty books!) I imagine the curriculum would be hard to keep up with when things go out of print.

Here is one and here is another for the elementary crowd.

ETA: Never mind, I listed exactly what you don't want :lol:

Thanks anyway though! I am sure they will benefit someone else!

I guess the question I'd have is, are you teaching the literary elements or are you teaching the literature? There'd be different resources for each I think.

I want to teach literary elements in the context of the books we want to read, starting with the book.

Thinking out loud here, I bought FS because so many people here recommended it, and because recently I have been (probably wrongly) thinking that it would be efficient to use some workbooks for things like this but... It is just not right for us. I don't want to trade efficiency for shared experiences and discussion. Even starting with the literary devices without a workbook takes away some of the magic of the books for us though. For me, starting with the definition of a literary device and looking at a few examples out of context cannot compare to the process of happening upon a well-used literary device while reading a wonderful book, noticing it and delighting in it all the more because we are immersed in the story.

Well, my first thought is, once you know what the devices are, you will naturally recognize them as you encounter them. Do you really need a curriculum for that? 

You as the teacher know them, right? A cheat sheet for you would be good if you don't have them on the tip of your tongue. 

I take it you read the things you assign, correct? So you could probably do this all on your own--preread the chapter/assignment, note the devices, talk about them as they come up, have dc take down a note or two. 

Would that work? 

LOL--not as "sexy" as a nicely gridded chart/detailed curriculum, but maybe "the truth is within you..."  :lol:

Well, my first thought is, once you know what the devices are, you will naturally recognize them as you encounter them. Do you really need a curriculum for that?

You as the teacher know them, right? A cheat sheet for you would be good if you don't have them on the tip of your tongue.

I take it you read the things you assign, correct? So you could probably do this all on your own--preread the chapter/assignment, note the devices, talk about them as they come up, have dc take down a note or two.

Would that work?

LOL--not as "sexy" as a nicely gridded chart/detailed curriculum, but maybe "the truth is within you..." :lol:

LOL Yes, it would work, does work, is what is already do, but I thought if a resource like this existed, it would make my life easier. As the kids are getting older and what I assign becomes more varied, I was hoping for some truth to be found without me... :lol:

I think you're looking for some sort of literary analysis of particular books, and you should try to see if you can find anything from that angle, rather than from the literary devices, because that always groups them by device.

You are probably right. They will just have more chattiness than I need and will cost more than I want to pay.

In essence, Brave Writer The Arrow does this...you pick a book you want to read, it gives you copywork, dictation, and a literary element to study within the book. May not be what you are looking for...it's not a list (that would be great!) but just thought I would mention it. :)

ETA: The Arrow back issues are listed as a list of books with a literary elements...not per chapter but at least it gives the element per book.

In essence, Brave Writer The Arrow does this...you pick a book you want to read, it gives you copywork, dictation, and a literary element to study within the book. May not be what you are looking for...it's not a list (that would be great!) but just thought I would mention it. :)

Thanks! I have a couple of these and think they are great. They are just more than I want, and while worth the money for all they do contain, too much for me to pay per book knowing I won't use all the content.

I want to teach literary elements in the context of the books we want to read, starting with the book.

Thinking out loud here, I bought FS because so many people here recommended it, and because recently I have been (probably wrongly) thinking that it would be efficient to use some workbooks for things like this but... It is just not right for us. I don't want to trade efficiency for shared experiences and discussion. Even starting with the literary devices without a workbook takes away some of the magic of the books for us though. For me, starting with the definition of a literary device and looking at a few examples out of context cannot compare to the process of happening upon a well-used literary device while reading a wonderful book, noticing it and delighting in it all the more because we are immersed in the story.

LOL Yes, it would work, does work, is what is already do, but I thought if a resource like this existed, it would make my life easier. As the kids are getting older and what I assign becomes more varied, I was hoping for some truth to be found without me... :lol:

Well, I am far from an expert but I'm currently immersed in figuring out how one would teach literature a la MCT. Teaching it with the goal of getting the student to *love* good literature, teaching it with the kids first and the book second. So my first observation is that good readers who love the book they're reading don't look outside of the book for truth. And to believe that the truth is outside the book is to subvert the student's confidence as a reader. Why should anyone ever read good literature if the only point is to go mining for the truth someone else already found and laid out in a neat little literature guide? (MCT says, if the people who write those guides could *really* explain the works they are trying to explain, their authors would be famous too.)

But, because I was taught that way myself and feel insecure about my ability to find these hidden layers of meaning, I totally relate to your desire to have some sort of guide to help you teach a book and to make sure you find all the "known" literary elements within it. But I really would go about it the other way. Learn about the literary elements that have been "officially" defined, then just start keeping an eye out. Like searching for beach glass or sharks' teeth, I think after you find the first one more will start popping up. And I'd narrow your search by using the Arrow list of published issues. Julie thinks that ____ is a good work for pointing out _____, so when you read that one (without actually purchasing the issue), look for it yourself? For bigger works, you'd want her higher-aged series and those don't tell you up front which literary element(s) they mean to cover, but you might try buying one and seeing if the discussion questions included are worth the $9.95 for you?

Well, I am far from an expert but I'm currently immersed in figuring out how one would teach literature a la MCT. Teaching it with the goal of getting the student to *love* good literature, teaching it with the kids first and the book second. So my first observation is that good readers who love the book they're reading don't look outside of the book for truth. And to believe that the truth is outside the book is to subvert the student's confidence as a reader. Why should anyone ever read good literature if the only point is to go mining for the truth someone else already found and laid out in a neat little literature guide? (MCT says, if the people who write those guides could *really* explain the works they are trying to explain, their authors would be famous too.)

But, because I was taught that way myself and feel insecure about my ability to find these hidden layers of meaning, I totally relate to your desire to have some sort of guide to help you teach a book and to make sure you find all the "known" literary elements within it. But I really would go about it the other way. Learn about the literary elements that have been "officially" defined, then just start keeping an eye out. Like searching for beach glass or sharks' teeth, I think after you find the first one more will start popping up. And I'd narrow your search by using the Arrow list of published issues. Julie thinks that ____ is a good work for pointing out _____, so when you read that one (without actually purchasing the issue), look for it yourself? For bigger works, you'd want her higher-aged series and those don't tell you up front which literary element(s) they mean to cover, but you might try buying one and seeing if the discussion questions included are worth the $9.95 for you?

This stuff is already going well for us, which I didn't think to mention precisely because it is going well for us. When I said, "I don't want to trade efficiency for shared experiences and discussion," I meant the shared experiences and discussion that we've already got going here. My kids already love lit, good lit. Thankfully, this is not an obstacle I have. They love to read and for me to read aloud to them. We already do go about it in "the other way." All four of us (mom and three kids) even use homemade "Notice It, Name It, Use It" bookmarks on which we note beautiful or otherwise interesting passages that we happen upon in our reading (including through use of literary elements which, yes, we have been over) and go all Killgallon on them in our writing workshop. We all love this. It is a huge hit here.

I was just looking for something handy. Really, just wanting to know if there was a convenient resource for this. This is not about finding an exhaustive list so that I can methodically expose every "truth" that someone else insinuated into various works. LOL I made a :tongue_smilie: joke based on the word truth in the post from Chris. I tried to protect myself from misinterpretation by laying out in my OP that I am not looking for the...I believe my exact words were "blah blah blah" stuff   :lol: , what you call "mining for the truth someone else already found and laid out in a neat little literature guide."

I really am looking for something that is very simple in my mind. :)

This stuff is already going well for us, which I didn't think to mention precisely because it is going well for us. When I said, "I don't want to trade efficiency for shared experiences and discussion," I meant the shared experiences and discussion that we've already got going here. My kids already love lit, good lit. Thankfully, this is not an obstacle I have. They love to read and for me to read aloud to them. We already have gone about it in "the other way." All four of us (mom and three kids) even use homemade "Notice It, Name It, Use It" bookmarks on which we note beautiful or otherwise interesting passages that we happen upon in our reading (including through use of literary elements which, yes, we have been over) and go all Killgallon on them in our writing workshop. We all love this. It is a huge hit here.

I was just looking for something handy. Really, just wanting to know if there was a convenient resource for this. This is not about finding an exhaustive list so that I could methodically expose every "truth" that someone else insinuated into various works. LOL I made a :tongue_smilie: joke based on the word truth in the post from Chris. I tried to protect myself from misinterpretation by laying out in my OP that I am not looking for the...I believe my exact words were "blah blah blah" stuff   :lol: , what you call "mining for the truth someone else already found and laid out in a neat little literature guide."

I really am looking for something that is very simple in my mind. :)

Here I thought I'd hit on it!  :o I thought you wanted a list of important elements and devices cross-referenced by book, so when you chose a book you'd also have some ideas of what to look for within it? I didn't mean to criticize (as a proto-homeschooler of a first grader) how you already do lit (as an experienced homeschooler), and I am sure I intertwined my own issues with what you're asking.

(I was in an online book club recently, and we read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Fresh from How to Read a Book and I think not yet into Classics in the Classroom, I read the book quickly and immersively, paying attention to beautiful language but mostly just suspending disbelief and getting into the story. Then when it was time to discuss I launched the conversation with questions like "What was the book really about?" "Which parts moved you?" It was going pretty well when someone came out of left field with, "Some characters represented water and ice, because they are repeatedly described as icy or snowflakes, or they drown. Other characters are fire, they wear warm clothes and have red hair," etc. OMG the feelings of having read the book "wrong"! Now the book club is faltering because no one wants to start discussions because they don't know literature/literary analysis well enough. I still love the book, and books, and reading. But I also still have all the insecurity I ever had about literature -- which itself stems from an A paper I wrote in AP literature. If I could blow literary analysis of Heart of Darkness out of the water without even really reading the book -- I noticed two mentions of "rotting hippopotamus meat" that amused me so I turned it into a metaphor -- then WTF was reading literature really about?)

Also, I see the joke now. Guess I was being pretty dense there. :)

Here I thought I'd hit on it!  :o I thought you wanted a list of important elements and devices cross-referenced by book, so when you chose a book you'd also have some ideas of what to look for within it? I didn't mean to criticize (as a proto-homeschooler of a first grader) how you already do lit (as an experienced homeschooler), and I am sure I intertwined my own issues with what you're asking.

(I was in an online book club recently, and we read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Fresh from How to Read a Book and I think not yet into Classics in the Classroom, I read the book quickly and immersively, paying attention to beautiful language but mostly just suspending disbelief and getting into the story. Then when it was time to discuss I launched the conversation with questions like "What was the book really about?" "Which parts moved you?" It was going pretty well when someone came out of left field with, "Some characters represented water and ice, because they are repeatedly described as icy or snowflakes, or they drown. Other characters are fire, they wear warm clothes and have red hair," etc. OMG the feelings of having read the book "wrong"! Now the book club is faltering because no one wants to start discussions because they don't know literature/literary analysis well enough. I still love the book, and books, and reading. But I also still have all the insecurity I ever had about literature -- which itself stems from an A paper I wrote in AP literature. If I could blow literary analysis of Heart of Darkness out of the water without even really reading the book -- I noticed two mentions of "rotting hippopotamus meat" that amused me so I turned it into a metaphor -- then WTF was reading literature really about?)

Also, I see the joke now. Guess I was being pretty dense there. :)

Yeah, we don't do one right answer kind of discussions for lit here. That definitely takes the magic away!

I was reading Sarah Ellis's From Reader to Writer: Teaching Writing Through Classic Children's Books (amazon link here, with look inside feature), and I don't think it's not quite what you're looking for but it is interesting! Each chapter centers on a particular book (e.g. Treasure Island) and she writes a bit about it. She also gives some background about what the author read as a child and what literary influences the book has, and then the end of the chapter contains an annotated list of about 5 similar books. She doesn't quite tackle literary elements but she does indicate something about what's remarkable about each book, and she gives some writing/activity suggestions based on the book. Each chapter is about 8-10 pages long. Just thought I'd throw it in here. The chapters are (from the author's site):

Islands of the Mind: Robert Louis Stevenson

Kin Stories: Jean Little
Fairies in Our Midst: P.L. Travers
Clip and Write: Monica Hughes
Summers on the Lake: Arthur Ransome
Bird-Man of the Arctic: Michael Kusugak
E.S.L. Elvish as a Second Language: J.R.R. Tolkien
Write While You Sleep: Susan Cooper
Yours Affectionately: Beatrix Potter
Digging Up Stories: Paul Yee
A Bag of Tricks: Lewis Carroll
Book Breeding: Kit Pearson
Piano Four Hands: C.S. Lewis
A Picture and a Thousand Words: Virginia Hamilton
A Tale of Two Journals: Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery On the Outside Looking In: Katherine Paterson

I was reading Sarah Ellis's From Reader to Writer: Teaching Writing Through Classic Children's Books (amazon link here, with look inside feature), and I don't think it's not quite what you're looking for but it is interesting! Each chapter centers on a particular book (e.g. Treasure Island) and she writes a bit about it. She also gives some background about what the author read as a child and what literary influences the book has, and then the end of the chapter contains an annotated list of about 5 similar books. She doesn't quite tackle literary elements but she does indicate something about what's remarkable about each book, and she gives some writing/activity suggestions based on the book. Each chapter is about 8-10 pages long. Just thought I'd throw it in here. The chapters are (from the author's site):

Islands of the Mind: Robert Louis Stevenson

Kin Stories: Jean Little

Fairies in Our Midst: P.L. Travers

Clip and Write: Monica Hughes

Summers on the Lake: Arthur Ransome

Bird-Man of the Arctic: Michael Kusugak

E.S.L. Elvish as a Second Language: J.R.R. Tolkien

Write While You Sleep: Susan Cooper

Yours Affectionately: Beatrix Potter

Digging Up Stories: Paul Yee

A Bag of Tricks: Lewis Carroll

Book Breeding: Kit Pearson

Piano Four Hands: C.S. Lewis

A Picture and a Thousand Words: Virginia Hamilton

A Tale of Two Journals: Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery On the Outside Looking In: Katherine Paterson

Ooooooh! This does look interesting! What a great read. I LOVE the map in the front of the book! Bought one for a penny. :D Thanks for posting it! 

Ooooooh! This does look interesting! What a great read.

I can't believe I found a book you didn't know about. +1 for me! Woohoo!

I don't think it's not quite what you're looking for but it is interesting! 

Sorry about that nightmare grammar. I meant, I don't think it's quite what you're looking for!

I think I get what you are looking for, but I'm not sure.  I'm thinking about how I want to do this, too - and leaning away from the Figuratively Speaking type coverage where you learn a literary term then read a bunch of things that illustrate that device.

I think maybe the Garlic Press lit guides might have some of what you are looking for?  I've recently gotten the one for The Giver and one for The Hobbit.  They are about $8 each.  They have a ton in them, way more than I will use, but I like how they discuss literary elements in the context of a book in which you are immersing yourselves.  Each one covers quite a lot of the basic elements - plot, conflict, characterization, setting, theme, figurative language, etc. etc. etc. for that book.  

Anyway, we'll be starting The Giver in a week or two, so this isn't based on actually using the guide yet . . . but if it works out, I can see applying this approach to books we want to read, rather than looking for books that illustrate the things I want to teach . . . 

I think I get what you are looking for, but I'm not sure.  I'm thinking about how I want to do this, too - and leaning away from the Figuratively Speaking type coverage where you learn a literary term then read a bunch of things that illustrate that device.

I think maybe the Garlic Press lit guides might have some of what you are looking for?  I've recently gotten the one for The Giver and one for The Hobbit.  They are about $8 each.  They have a ton in them, way more than I will use, but I like how they discuss literary elements in the context of a book in which you are immersing yourselves.  Each one covers quite a lot of the basic elements - plot, conflict, characterization, setting, theme, figurative language, etc. etc. etc. for that book.  

Anyway, we'll be starting The Giver in a week or two, so this isn't based on actually using the guide yet . . . but if it works out, I can see applying this approach to books we want to read, rather than looking for books that illustrate the things I want to teach . . .

Reading Roadmaps really is very similar to what you are describing but it may not be quite enough. It will give you a few themes per book

to think about but that is it.

I feel like Goldilocks! :lol: Lit guides are more than I want, but other resources, including Reading Roadmaps, are less than I want. I am probably going to end up just continuing to preread and/or read-aloud/along for every book.

I looked through the Garlic Press guide on Tom Sawyer and had mixed feelings about it. I think analysis will be useful and necessary more when the kids get older, but I have emotionally decided to try hard not to use them for books I love. Hurts too much! :tongue_smilie:

• 2 weeks later...

If I understand what you are asking for, you are looking more for a guide to individual books?   I have never seen anything like that except through specific providers that cover the titles for their yr's curriculum.  A lot of times if you just google a title you can find lots of info online.

If you just want a simple guide to general things in most good lit, Reading Strands might be something that would work.   Vol 10 of JtB  has some study guides to some specific titles.   http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24857/24857-h/24857-h.htm

I wonder if something like that is available for elementary and middle grade books.  

Hey, I just was looking at Scholastic's $1 sale, and I saw their "Literature Guides" and "Literature Circle Guides" for quite a few different books, each $1. From Lord of the Rings to Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe, to Roll of Thunder. And yes, it includes literary devices.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Literature+Guide&name.x=0&name.y=0&name=Search

First of all, I have to whine! Why was this, my own thread, not showing up under my content? Argh!

Hey, check this out

http://teachabletexts.com/

Provides a daily book with listed summary, topics, and reading and writing skills. Each entry is brief but there are 151 books listed so far. Maybe it will help someone out.

I found it as a link in this site: http://www.colleencruz.com/events.htm

Hey, I just was looking at Scholastic's $1 sale, and I saw their "Literature Guides" and "Literature Circle Guides" for quite a few different books, each $1. From Lord of the Rings to Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe, to Roll of Thunder. And yes, it includes literary devices.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Literature+Guide&name.x=0&name.y=0&name=Search

Thanks for these. I will dig in. The Scholastic guides aren't bad and you can't beat the price!

I found this:

Novels for StudentsPresenting Analysis, Context, and Criticism on Commonly Studied Novels (Novels for Students) link: https://openlibrary.org/books/OL11094485M/Novels_for_Students

There is over 20 different volumes.

Thanks! I will check it out!

If I understand what you are asking for, you are looking more for a guide to individual books? I have never seen anything like that except through specific providers that cover the titles for their yr's curriculum. A lot of times if you just google a title you can find lots of info online.

If you just want a simple guide to general things in most good lit, Reading Strands might be something that would work. Vol 10 of JtB has some study guides to some specific titles. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24857/24857-h/24857-h.htm

Yes. Individual books, exactly. I think it says bad things about me that I own Reading Strands (and Teaching the Classics, among other resources) and I am still asking this question. I am lazy in April maybe? :lol: I love the JtB volume. I think once I finalize a lit list for next year, I will start with Google to see what I can get for free.

Thanks! The 4th volume of this is as close as I will ever find to what I was describing, I think! (The final volume seems more detailed than the others I could preview.) I will try to ILL it, because it is pricey and I don't know how much I might love the specific books outlined.

What about sparksnotes. I just put in Call of the Wild and they have a chapter by chapter analysis: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/call/section1.rhtml

The issue I have with most guides like this is that they are more than what I want, definitely more summary than I need. The description of style and technique is more verbose than what I want at my kids' ages. I pretty much just want a crib sheet! :tongue_smilie: