Menu

WTM Way and/or CC Challenge A for 7th Grade

Actually, we've been WTMers from the beginning (seven years ago). I was just a bit too rigid with that in some points, so I was allowing us more freedom to go in other directions, like Charlotte Mason. But the book is always on hand and I will definitely use it to help devise a plan for the coming year(s). 

This old thread being dug up was serendipitous and pretty much put the nail in the coffin for Challenge - I just never like to say never, because you never know ;)

We got a taste of online classes this past fall when we tried Logos Academy. It wasn't terrible, but one class (on which the whole diploma program hinged) was not the right fit (long story), so we dropped all of them (too confining to follow their schedule, homework protocol, etc.), and now my daughter is very adamant that she doesn't want to do online classes again - she wants to work one-on-one with me, independently, and possibly in a small group. We do have some co-op options (unfortunately involving commuting again), so we may go that route, or we may just keep doing what we're doing. We also might trying to start a class and/or club to provide the group dynamic (possibly literature, drama/theater, journalism). I am not, however, ruling out online options, particularly in subjects where I am less proficient (i.e. advanced math/science). 

I appreciate the input :)

Glad you have options locally! :) That's a great way to transition into high school -- starting a class/club, or trying out a few activities, since you won't be locked into someone else's schedule. Who knows… a few years down the road, you and DD may find an online class in a few years that is a great fit and a lot of fun! :) BEST of luck as you both plan and move into high school. Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

My children and I have been in Classical Conversations for 6 years. My daughter completed Challenge A last year and is in B this year. I would only do A if you plan to do B. Challenge A is pretty basic with lots of memorization. They use Lost Tools of Writing which both the students and parents hated in Challenge A. It helped for debate, however, in challenge B but really didn't produce great writers. It did produce great friendships though. If you know there is a great tutor and kids in the class, I'd consider it, but if you don't know anything about the teacher and community I wouldn't risk it.

I have been a Classical Conversations tutor, Foundations & Essentials Director, and am presently a Challenge Director. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm in prison counting down the days until release. I love my students and families, but am disillusioned with CC's business model. They call everyone "independent contractors" but the list of rules we must follow, meetings and training is growing and is focused on serving CC and worshiping Leigh Bortin's and her ideas rather than thinking for ourselves and serving our local families. The attitude where I'm at is, "Do it our way or get out1" I thought is was just the new managers that were put in place in our area, but I see that it is happening everywhere.

One really big change is the push to grow that has resulted in unqualified people tutoring, directing & managing. Let's face it, some people have the gift to tutor and direct and some don't. My son is prisoner in a Foundations classroom where not even the history songs are used because the tutor can't carry a tune and does not want to use technology, which is forbidden by the "laws" of Classical Conversations, to play them. Get real!!!

The other big change in my area is requiring communities to start in August so that they are done by Thanksgiving. This means that Challenge classes which meet for 15 weeks each semester will be starting the beginning of August against the wishes of most of the parents. I'm sure they could fight it, I have in the past reminding them that I'm an independent contractor, but so far no one except the parents have spoken up.

In a spirit of fun this should be the CC Pledge:

I pledge allegience to CC

the self-proclaimed leaders of home education

and to Leigh Botins who created it all

one corporation, ruling us all,, without individuality or questioning from all.

Classical Conversations started in our community to provide community & accountability. I wanted it and was excited to be a part of it, but I now find myself in bondage just like the Israelites who asked God for a king.

If you want a Classical, Christian community for your children keep your independence and start a co-op and check out veritespress.com, wilsonhillacademy.com, classicaladademicpress.com, memoriapress.com and others for online classes. That's what I'm going to do.

This information was very useful!!! The cc trend is sweeping through our area and I'm already seeing some disillusionment from a couple of moms. Your description is what I thought it might be in the long rum because it seemed that it could possibly be very restricting.

• Like 1

I have been a Classical Conversations tutor, Foundations & Essentials Director, and am presently a Challenge Director.  Unfortunately, I feel like I'm in prison counting down the days until release. I love my students and families, but am disillusioned with CC's business model.  They call everyone "independent contractors" but the list of rules we must follow, meetings and training is growing and is focused on serving CC and worshiping Leigh Bortin's and her ideas rather than thinking for ourselves and serving our local families. The attitude where I'm at is, "Do it our way or get out1"  I thought is was just the new managers that were put in place in our area, but I see that it is happening everywhere.  

One really big change is the push to grow that has resulted in unqualified people tutoring, directing & managing.  Let's face it, some people have the gift to tutor and direct and some don't.  My son is prisoner in a Foundations classroom where not even the history songs are used because the tutor can't carry a tune and does not want to use technology, which is forbidden by the "laws" of Classical Conversations, to play them.  Get real!!!

I make my living as an online college professor and teacher. I don't have any problem with setting certain requirements and expectations, believe me. But CC drove me nuts.

They pursued me to be a Challenge Director. I was classically educated myself, multi-lingual including Latin, and already a professional educator. Even when mine were in the program, I just never felt led to take that step although I did Foundations, Essentials, and Challenge Latin for years.

Then they required that all your kids be in the program, and I was out. My youngest didn't like Challenge anyway.

Now as a "nearly retired" homeschool mom, I couldn't do it either because you have to have kids in the program. Some of our best Challenge tutors were "retired" homeschool moms, and several of them have been pushed out since because others who were still homeschooling were available.

I put all of my books on eBay summer before last because that was the end, and I figured no going back at that point. Next May when my youngest graduates, I'll probably do some local paid teaching with a local group that has paid classes with high standards addition to my online work, and that will be that.

• Like 5

I put all of my books on eBay summer before last because that was the end, and I figured no going back at that point. Next May when my youngest graduates, I'll probably do some local paid teaching with a local group that has paid classes with high standards addition to my online work, and that will be that.

I REALLY wish I lived wherever you live so my kid could have you as his teacher.

CC doesn't have a clue what they are missing out on by pushing you, and many others like you, away with their rigidity.

• Like 1

I REALLY wish I lived wherever you live so my kid could have you as his teacher.

CC doesn't have a clue what they are missing out on by pushing you, and many others like you, away with their rigidity.

Yes, it doesn't make sense. It felt like when friends and relatives have been forced into retirement because of age when they were at the top of their game with no health problems. I was crushed.

Other doors opened though.

Other friends who were pushed out found the same. Plenty of places are looking for "seasoned" homeschool moms who teach in a group setting. Just not CC.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2