Menu

Pet Peeve: Would you like to apply for a credit card today?

Amethyst

I hate it. Every time I go shopping they ask me if I want to open a special credit card with their store. And I'll get 15% off if I apply today. I just recently closed all my credit cards except our Visa. So, no, I don't want your card, or your special "points", but man oh man, I feel so stupid for turning down 15% off. But I can't keep getting credit card after credit card. 

I despise the practice. I shop at grocery stores several times  a week and am asked each time if I want to open a card. Annoying doesn't come close to how I feel! It's even worse when the cashier is all excited/pumped up and when I say "no", I'll get the hard sell of "but, it's 15%!" Depending on my mood, I have been known to throw back at them "which is a savings of a mere $3.15 (or whatever the 15% turns out to be) off my bill to take on a credit card. No thank you."  URGH!

I also despise the "would you like to donate $1 to XX charity today?" It seems like it is at every freaking store!  We plan out our donations and don't allow ourselves to be "dollared" to death, so I always say no. Talk about feeling like a Scrooge!

My husband worked retail at a major department store starting when he was in college and there was a $4 spiff per account he opened. Dude had a preternatural ability to get people to open accounts (without seeming pushy). It was crazy. I used to tease him about encouraging people to go into debt to buy the crap he sold but I have to admit those spiffs added up and were super helpful, lol. So I don't blame the staff for asking even though I always say no.

My husband worked retail at a major department store starting when he was in college and there was a $4 spiff per account he opened. Dude had a preternatural ability to get people to open accounts (without seeming pushy). It was crazy. I used to tease him about encouraging people to go into debt to buy the crap he sold but I have to admit those spiffs added up and were super helpful, lol. So I don't blame the staff for asking even though I always say no.

When I worked at Walden books customers always signed up for the rewards card. I'd like to think it was my winning personality, but I think it was more the practicality of it for them. This was before every business had some kind of points card,

I always turn down store card offers, except kohls. I only shop there when I have 30% off coupon and items are on sale.

When I worked retail, our region had contests like people trying to sell the most accessories or having the largest number of items per sale. I won them for the region on a regular basis. Some of us just manage to appear *helpful* instead of pushy. 

When I worked at Walden books customers always signed up for the rewards card. I'd like to think it was my winning personality, but I think it was more the practicality of it for them. This was before every business had some kind of points card,

I still have a B&N card, but I get a discount that adds up to much more than the $25/year that I pay. Plus, I get free shipping on the website! Plus, they send me tons of coupons...for books! That is really different than a credit card to me (and I know you weren't saying that they were similar). :)

In defense of cashiers, when I worked retail we hated asking customers to open credit accounts. Yet we were pressured daily by management to procure the applications--to the point that failure to get a certain number of applications could negatively impact your annual review and/or the hours you received. Sometimes management was standing by and listening to the interactions to make sure cashiers countered arguments with additional sales points. Customers should NOT be badgered, but the cashier is often between a rock and hard place on the subject of credit apps.

In defense of cashiers, when I worked retail we hated asking customers to open credit accounts. Yet we were pressured daily by management to procure the applications--to the point that failure to get a certain number of applications could negatively impact your annual review and/or the hours you received. Sometimes management was standing by and listening to the interactions to make sure cashiers countered arguments with additional sales points. Customers should NOT be badgered, but the cashier is often between a rock and hard place on the subject of credit apps.

I was ways expected to sell x number of walden books discount cards a week.

I usually say "Oh, heck no!" but try to soften it with a smile; I realize this isn't the cashier's idea of a great time, either. 

I have had only two people push me after that in the last few years.  One older lady clerk at Walmart seemed convinced that I needed access to money.  She talked on and on about women having their own funds in case of emergencies.  She was really persistent!  I was annoyed until I realized that I was wearing my remodeling jeans and painting T-shirt.  I was building a TV stand that weekend, I think.  I must have looked like I needed a turn-around of some kind! 

I was ways expected to sell x number of walden books discount cards a week.

Me too and I hated it.  I worked fewer hours than some of the staff and that never seemed to be taken into consideration.  And the assistant manager lurked around the cash wrap looking for costumers who had stacks of books b/c she knew they would say yes since the discount actually ended up paying for the card.  I had to try to sell it to people buying one book who would only save .50 that day.

I did succeed in getting a clerk at a grocery store I frequent to stop asking me!  I went home and researched the rates, and then the next time he asked I loudly declined and quoted the rates, including the $29 late payment fee. Very loudly so everyone in line could hear me. The people waiting behind me all cracked up laughing, and the clerk got flustered. I wonder if he had the nerve to make the offer to them.