Menu

Is it rude to say nothing when someone says "Thank you"?

Tranquility7

Is it rude to say nothing when someone says "Thank you"?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude to say nothing when someone says "Thank you"?

• Yes, very rude. At least say *something* to acknowledge their saying thanks.
    • Yes, a little rude. Better to say something, but no big deal to not.
    • Nope, not rude at all. They are saying thanks to me. Why do I need to respond?

If someone thanks you for something, is it rude to say nothing in response?  To just go about your business without responding to them?  To just walk away (not upset or anything, just going about your business)?

Would you correct your child if they responded this way to someone thanking them?

Depends:

If it is "Hey Sally, Thank you for making me the cake, that was really nice of you".  Then if you just walk off.....Rude.

If it is "Here are your groceries and receipt, thanks for coming in. See ya next time. "  Then if you just walk off, it isn't very nice, but not really rude.  Them thanking you for the purchase, should be enough and was the end of the conversation.

It depends on the situation. Generally people say "You're welcome," if it's a personal exchange. Sometimes eye contact and a smile is plenty of acknowledgment. If it's a "thanks!" for holding a door open or something, I don't expect anything.

:iagree:

We need details!!! :)

absolutely I would correct my child that the proper response to thank you is you're welcome.  if I don't remind them during a phase of their life they are supposed to be "learning" this (as in - they don't do it automatically), why should I expect them to remember when they're adults?

Depends:

If it is "Hey Sally, Thank you for making me the cake, that was really nice of you". Then if you just walk off.....Rude.

If it is "Here are your groceries and receipt, thanks for coming in. See ya next time. " Then if you just walk off, it isn't very nice, but not really rude. Them thanking you for the purchase, should be enough and was the end of the conversation.

When a checkout person says thank you, I don't say, "You're welcome." I just say goodbye or tell them to have a nice evening, or to take care, or something along those lines. I always say something, though. It would seem kind of weird to just walk away without saying anything at all.

If you tell someone "I love your dress" and they say "thank you," what is the proper response?

If you make a well-meant suggestion and they say "thank you," what is the proper response?

I do think there are some times when "you're welcome" is not appropriate.

If a person serving me says "thank you" as I'm paying, I always say "thank you."

Manners are somewhat complex.  My kids are slow learners in this regard, but I prefer to teach by example for the most part.  I usually don't correct in front of others, because I think it is probably embarrassing for all parties involved, but sometimes I do it to let folks know I'm trying.  ;)

I do not think it is rude for a child not to say "your welcome" because they are children and still learning proper social behavior.  And I wouldn't correct them because that is not how I teach my children manners.  I teach them manners by showing them my manners and do not make them say things like 'please' 'thank you' etc.  If seems to work since they have naturally started saying it. 

Depends on the situation. If I ask a child to please bring me a book and they bring it, then walk away as I say Thanks, I don't consider them rude. If they make a card for Grandma and she tells them Thank You, I would expect them to respond with You're Welcome.

Generally, I think it's rude. I have a child who gets very uncomfortable when people thank him (or compliment him, or basically pay any attention to him...), so we've had to work on saying "you're welcome" and not just looking away.

If someone thanks you for something, is it rude to say nothing in response?  To just go about your business without responding to them?  To just walk away (not upset or anything, just going about your business)?

Would you correct your child if they responded this way to someone thanking them?

We had a discussion about this some time ago.

Yes, I would correct my child if he did not reply to someone who thanked him. The correct response is "You're welcome." Depending on the circumstance, "My pleasure" might also work. "No problem" is waaaaay down on the list of responses.

I'm very polite in social situations so yes, I would consider it rude.  It doesn't have to be "your welcome".  At the checkout for example, I will say "Oh no(smiling), thank you.", after all she rang my months worth of food up then bagged it all. Holding the door open for someone I'll respond "no problem (while smiling) sometimes I'll even throw in a "have a nice day.  To me it's not the words, it's the acknowledgement and the attitude.  And you bet I'll correct my children if they ever forget, luckily that hasn't really happened since they were little. 

Awkward for sure, probably rude depending on age. Kids are still learning so we'd work on it. My DS is 4 and his "You're weltome (welcome)" is adorable. This is something that I want to be a habit so we've worked on it to the point where it is automatic.

I have an acquaintance who only models rather than explicitly teaching her kids social graces. It grates on me to have her 6-year-old demand things rather than ask, not thank, and generally not acknowledge that I've spoken to him. In his case there is no anxiety issue preventing it--he just isn't used to it. She may not believe in teaching it but I've automatically said things to him like, "I like to be asked, not told." or, "It's nice when people thank me for helping them or respond in some way." I have another friend who is explicitly teaching, but her DS6 is pretty stubborn so he will ignore such things with a smirk or just purse his lips because he wants to be in control so she's working on that with him!

Acknowledgement of thanks is polite, but acknowledgement does not have to be verbal. You can acknowledge thanks by eye contact and a smile, by a squeeze of the hand, by a hug, by a nod. 

It is the lack of acknowledgement that is rude, not the way someone acknowledges. I think verbal acknowledgement is the easiest, and the one most recognized by our society, but I don't think it's the only way to do it. 

I explicitly teach manners. I don't call my kids out in front of other people, but will pull them aside and say "In such and such a situation we do/say xyz." When they were little there was more demanding on my part (yes, you MUST say please if you want this). I would consider it rude to not acknowledge a thank you unless it was one of those situations listed above where a response isn't necessary.