Menu

Itchy throat after taking coconut oil--oral allergy syndrome?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't bake a lot, and we don't like the taste of coconut oil in most salty/savory things, so I usually end up just taking a teaspoon or two straight each day. When I don't, it's like my brain falls out of my head, so I really don't want to stop taking it. But around every third time I take it, it makes my throat itch--usually just a little bit and for just a few minutes, but occasionally worse. The more liquid it is, the worse the reaction is. But some days, like today, it doesn't happen at all, and it never happens when it's cooked into something. 

I was doing some reading on OAS, and I don't have hay fever, so I'm not sure if it can be OAS. Does anyone else experience this? Right now I use the Nutiva extra virgin, so I can try switching to a different brand when this jar runs out. But in the meantime, I wondered if this is a common thing. Does anyone else experience this? I don't want to keep taking something that my body is reacting to, but it really, really helps my brain function!

Thanks.

ETA: It doesn't happen when I eat coconut flakes or ingest coconut milk, just the straight oil. And I don't experience any swelling or burning or hives or anything, just the itchy throat.

I have OAS.  With OAS, you're reacting to something in the raw fruits and vegetables, so I don't know if you could have a reaction to something like coconut oil.  For example, I can't eat raw apples, but I can eat apple pie.  And with the (very long) list of things I react to, I react every time.  How is the coconut oil processed?  Does it get heated at some point?  That would most likely destroy the proteins or whatever they are that causes the reaction.  If it isn't processed much though, an OAS reaction would probably be possible.

I hope that made sense, I'm still working on my coffee. :p

It is possible to have an actual allergy to coconut oil: http://www.livestrong.com/article/368876-coconut-oil-allergy-symptoms/  And in either case, it could turn into anaphylaxis.  It's not likely, but possible.  If you're determined to keep taking it, you should go to your doctor to get an epipen and talk about allergy testing.

If you have any itchy throat after swallowing it....Stop!  It could easily turn into anaphylaxsis the next time.  It sounds like you have a plain old allergy to coconut oil.  Don't ingest any of it until you've consulted a doctor.  It has been linked to other tree nut allergies in the past.

• Like 1

If you have any itchy throat after swallowing it....Stop!  It could easily turn into anaphylaxsis the next time.  It sounds like you have a plain old allergy to coconut oil.  Don't ingest any of it until you've consulted a doctor.  It has been linked to other tree nut allergies in the past.

Wouldn't it happen every time then? I don't have any other food allergies and eat loads of nuts and have no problems. I do actually have some kind of allergy to something used in some cheeses and very rarely soy sauce, and that reaction is clearly an allergic reaction--immediate throat swelling and burning, not itching, but it's very different from the itchy throat from the CO.

Although, come to think of it, I should probably get an epi-pen for that, because it's random. Most cheeses don't do it, but every once in awhile I'll come across one that does. It's not the cheese; I think it must be some kind of mold or enzyme they use. Thanks for the reminder!

I developed a coconut allergy this past year. It randomly popped up. Allergist did not have a specific test to test for coconut allergy as it's fairly rare to have it, but it is increasing. What you describe does not sound like OAS...stop all coconut and get an epi-pen. IME, food reactions are rarely the same from reaction to reaction, and true anaphylaxis can happen suddenly and severely. My dd's second exposure to peanut (happened through a blood transfusion), ended up with 20 members of a crash team working on her....itching started 15or so seconds in, and 90 seconds or so in her blood pressure dropped and she couldnt breathe.

• Like 1

We went to an allergist after my daughter started complaining about an itchy throat after eating certain things - not every time she ate them, but some of the time.  Turns out she is allergic to milk and a few nuts.  Some milk-containing products don't bother her but she can't drink milk as a beverage or eat ice cream.  Cream cheese is fine but cottage cheese is not.  It depends on the milk content and processing, I guess. 

If you have an itchy throat after ingesting anything, please go to an allergist and get tested before eating it again.

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...