Menu

PSA: Student may need official high school transcript decades later

The issue came up on another thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/509328-does-transcriptpro-use-the-word-official/

post #9, but I wanted to make this a separate thread so people who are not following the other one would see.

Just this morning, a friend of mine posted on facebook that she needed a high school transcript. The lady has a college degree and a masters degree, has been teaching and working for many years and is in her early fourties. She has not needed a transcript since 1993. Now she is applying for a visa for a foreign country to work for a development agency, and they require that she submit a high school transcript with the visa application.

So, it really does happen, decades after graduation, even for students who do have college and grad school degrees. Make sure your kids have one they can use, in case you are incapacitated or no longer around.

ETA: Oh, and they wanted an official transcript, of course, not just some copy, so she had to send a relative to get one from the actual school (as she herself lives overseas)

How surprising! Was it required for the visa application or for the development agency where she wants to work?

It's probably quite an unusual situation to require a transcript so many years later. I hope I don't ever need one, as I attended a few different schools.

How surprising! Was it required for the visa application or for the development agency where she wants to work?

For the visa application.

Now, come to think of, I am pretty sure I was required to submit my high school transcript with the application for a work visa in the US - despite having a university degree and a PhD.

For the visa application.

Now, come to think of, I am pretty sure I was required to submit my high school transcript with the application for a work visa in the US - despite having a university degree and a PhD.

That is interesting.  Hubby did not need to submit his high school transcript for the H1B visa back in 2005. He has a BEng and a PhD in electrical engineering. His PhD was awarded after he have his H1B visa  The American embassy only looked at his BEng transcript and the stack of documents the sponsoring company sent us.

ETA:

My junior college still exist but when anyone had asked for transcript prior to college/university, we had always given notarized copies of our Cambridge exams instead of our high school leaving certificate (which has the grades).  School grades count for nothing back home.  Only the Cambridge exams grades and the IB exams grades for those who opt for the IB schools.

Could be a problem.  They tore my (public) high school down about 20 years ago!

Just go to the school district it was in.

For people who went to Catholic schools that have closed, just go to the diocese.

For other schools, if you know the accrediting group you might be able to start there.

That is interesting.  Hubby did not need to submit his high school transcript for the H1B visa back in 2005. He has a BEng and a PhD in electrical engineering. His PhD was awarded after he have his H1B visa  The American embassy only looked at his BEng transcript and the stack of documents the sponsoring company sent us.

Yes, we similarly did not need to produce hubby's official high school transcript. But we did have detailed college transcripts and sent copies of those (not originals). I can't remember if we had them notarized. I wonder if it might have also helped that hubby's company in the US really wanted him to have the visa asap and if the immigration service they employed to help us with the application might have greased the wheels a bit.

When a public school is disestablished there is usually a larger district that would assume those responsibilities.
Though I can see how it would be an issue if a private school or private college closed. I know people whose colleges have gone under. They are scrambling to transfer to other schools or quick comets the degree before the last day. Don't know what happens for record keeping years later.

. I wonder if it might have also helped that hubby's company in the US really wanted him to have the visa asap and if the immigration service they employed to help us with the application might have greased the wheels a bit.

His company did pay up for expedited service for the H1B visa.  I forgot whether he was a EB1 or EB2.  They had interviewed people for his position for more than 8 months and just wanted him to be able to come onboard ASAP.  The US embassy did the copies and notarization for us. He does have an expired A visa (defence) on his passport so the embassy officer didn't even question/interview him.

From USCIS

"Note: If you are requesting Premium Processing on a form type and classification that is Premium eligible, the $1,225 Premium Processing fee is required in addition to all other filing fees required by the application to be processed. Checks should be made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security."

"The 15-day processing period for premium processing service for H-1B petitions that are not subject to the cap, or for any other eligible classification, continues to begin on the date that the request is received."

My high school no longer exists.  I suppose someone must have records somewhere...

Mine burned down. There aren't any records prior to 1992. When people ask, they send a letter explaining the situation.

There are a lot of people who might not be able to get an official transcript.

The issue came up on another thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/509328-does-transcriptpro-use-the-word-official/

post #9, but I wanted to make this a separate thread so people who are not following the other one would see.

Just this morning, a friend of mine posted on facebook that she needed a high school transcript. The lady has a college degree and a masters degree, has been teaching and working for many years and is in her early fourties. She has not needed a transcript since 1993. Now she is applying for a visa for a foreign country to work for a development agency, and they require that she submit a high school transcript with the visa application.

So, it really does happen, decades after graduation, even for students who do have college and grad school degrees. Make sure your kids have one they can use, in case you are incapacitated or no longer around.

ETA: Oh, and they wanted an official transcript, of course, not just some copy, so she had to send a relative to get one from the actual school (as she herself lives overseas)

Regentrude, thank you for this PSA.

Just to clarify ... the lady is a U.S. citizen, living outside the U.S.? And she attended high school in the United States?

I have held work permits/visas for several different overseas countries, and I don't remember ever providing my high-school transcript, but of course policies change all the time!

Just to clarify ... the lady is a U.S. citizen, living outside the U.S.? And she attended high school in the United States?

I have held work permits/visas for several different overseas countries, and I don't remember ever providing my high-school transcript, but of course policies change all the time!

Yes. US Citizen, attended high school in the US, lives currently in Bangladesh, is applying for a visa to Kenya.

Wow.

I wonder what they would do if someone didn't attend high school? I know a couple of folks who skipped high school & went straight to college. Or dropped out in 8th grade, but then went back 10-15 years later to college after passing the entrance exams. None of them have a high school transcript because they never attended.

My son was dual enrolled partially in 10th grade and full time in 11th and 12th.  I never made him a transcript because he got his AA

when he was graduating high school.  Would I need to make a transcript and put the dual enrolled courses on there and call them

a credit toward high school?

Sigh.  THIS is the sort of thing I am worried about.  Mine have transcripts from me.  And we got them diplomas, in case that helps.  I asked the local high school what would happen if someone called them asking about one of our sons and they said they would say he was an approved homeschooler.  At least the school system will acknowledge them.  I doubt they'd send my transcript, though.  I know they won't issue a transcript or diploma.  That is my job.  Hopefully, we won't ever run into this.

Nan