Menu

Does TranscriptPro use the word "Official??"

I've been looking for a program that I can just plug in our info for a transcript.  (I'm not very good at excel and such.)  TranscriptPro by Inge Cannon looks like just the thing, but I've been hearing people talk about how important it is to use the word "Official Transcript" across the top.  In their online example it just says "High school transcript."  Can you change that to say Official?  If not, does anyone have any other program they love?

I have no idea why the word "official" would need to be included. I'd like to know about this from others, as well. 

I do have a copy of my college transcript, complete with the registrar's seal and it doesn't say "official" anywhere on it. There is a  message rubber stamped in red on each page that reads "Issued to student." 

I have no idea why the word "official" would need to be included. I'd like to know about this from others, as well.

Yes, the word "official" really is very important.

An unofficial transcript is one you can print off yourself or is a student copy, and so there is no guarantee that you didn't tamper with it in some way. An unofficial transcript is primarily an "internal" document, used within the school and by the student as an academic standing evaluation tool, for class clearance (accomplishment of pre-requisites), and for other school & student business.

An official transcript is one that is printed on special paper, with seal/stamp of the registrar, and sent to a third party at your request (and payment of the fee), which proves it is a valid document that has not been tampered with because you have never touched it. Official transcripts are primarily external documents of proof of student's academic status and work, used in transferring from one school to another, or for employment verification of completion of academic work.

Homeschoolers are the oddballs, as we are both parent AND administrator, which makes it even more important to make the transcript look as official as possible to help smooth the path of the transcript once it reaches college registrars and office workers who aren't used to dealing with things that are out of the ordinary. ;) So, here are some tips gleaned from past threads to help with an Official transcript:

1. Another word you want to make sure that is included in the transcript heading upon student graduation is "FINAL" -- as in "Final, Official Transcript" -- as a way to show the student has completed all work with that school and is recognized by the school as graduated.

2. Include a sentence in small type by your signature as administrator: "(name of your homeschool) homeschool is operated in accordance with (your state) Statue (your state's homeschool statue #)." Be sure to include the date with your signature.

3. Purchase and use an embosser on the transcript for a more official look (see Margaret in CO's hilarious but helpful tip in post #21 of the thread: Any of you willing to share a copy of your child's transcript? -- and in post #28 Margaret adds costs and links to embossers).

4. Have the transcript notarized. (see this thread: Notarized transcript?)

I do have a copy of my college transcript, complete with the registrar's seal and it doesn't say "official" anywhere on it. There is a  message rubber stamped in red on each page that reads "Issued to student." 

Very likely this is because it is NOT an official transcript -- one sent directly from the school registrar to the third party who wants to see your records. It is an unofficial student copy, meant for your personal use. The word official is NOT on it (and the words "issued to student" ARE), so that you can't tamper with it and pass it off to another college or an employer as the real deal. (Of course, I know you wouldn't, but you know what I mean… :) )

Hope that helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

3. Purchase and use an embosser on the transcript for a more official look (see Margaret in CO's hilarious but helpful tip in post #21 of the thread: Any of you willing to share a copy of your child's transcript? -- and in post #28 Margaret adds costs and links to embossers).

Just want to comment on this:

we have not had a single college that accepted a mailed application on paper. Almost all of DD's colleges use the Common Application; many of the schools that do not use the CA have their own electronic submission mechanism. So, in most cases, parents would never mail a paper transcript and would thus not get a chance to show off any embossed paper.

Only one of my dd's college applications requested an electronic copy of her transcript. All of the rest wanted paper copies.

Once I had her final grades at the end of her senior year, I just changed the heading at the top of the transcript to say, "FINAL OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT," printed it out and mailed it.

I didn't use an embosser or special software. Just Excel and my printer.

Yes, my personal limited experience has been paper only (no electronic transcripts), and no special paper, no embosser and no notarized versions worked great. I just wanted to collate all of the tips from past posts, where people DID run into problems, and what solved the problems. So glad to hear from the experiences shared in this thread that the vast majority of time, it's really not an issue!  :)

The one thing that DOES seem to be important is to include the word "Official" in the heading.

Let me ask an oddball question.

What if your kid needs a copy of the transcript years later and you are no longer in a position to provide it (death, dementia or other issue). With a school the records are on file as long as the school exists.

If the student gets a college degree this might never matter. But for students who go right to work or who don't graduate right away it could be an issue years down the road.

Let me ask an oddball question.

What if your kid needs a copy of the transcript years later and you are no longer in a position to provide it (death, dementia or other issue). With a school the records are on file as long as the school exists.

If the student gets a college degree this might never matter. But for students who go right to work or who don't graduate right away it could be an issue years down the road.

I have made multiple copies and signed several and put them in the file box with the portfolio of materials, also in case of early demise. I also left several official ones blank so that DH can sign as administrator. I also make a point of every so often making sure everyone knows where the file box is. ;)

I have all homeschool records in electronic form. They are in clearly labeled folders on my computer. Should something happen to me right now, DH or DC will be able to find everything in case of emergency.

After I graduate each student, I will compile an (electronic) folder of pertinent records (transcript, course descriptions, anything that could potentially be needed) and leave a copy with the young adult.

I am also keeping a binder for each child that contains important documents, such as birth certificates, testing records, health records etc. A hard copy of the homeschool documentation will go into this binder, which will stay in my house until my kids have moved out permanently.

Just want to comment on this:

we have not had a single college that accepted a mailed application on paper. Almost all of DD's colleges use the Common Application; many of the schools that do not use the CA have their own electronic submission mechanism. So, in most cases, parents would never mail a paper transcript and would thus not get a chance to show off any embossed paper.

We had the opposite experience. Dd applied to four schools, none of which (thankfully) used the common app. Although the applications were filed online, we sent in additional information, including "Official Transcripts."  I would have loved to purchase an embosser but ultimately couldn't justify the cost.  (I also imagined myself embossing every scrap of paper around the house just for fun.)  We also did not need anything notarized. Two were in state public schools; two were out of state private schools.