Menu

Best way to teach grammar to child with dyslexia?

mommy5

Our son is in 3rd grade (nearing the end of the year for us) ... he was diagnosed about 9 months ago with dyslexia.  We worked intensly this year on reading skills and handwriting (dysgraphia) with the help of a great OT and ST (he had muscle tone issues that were hampering writing and mispronouncing words also...) he's come a long way this school year.  We are using ABeCeDarian for phonics and an online program which is O-G based...he seems to do better with this mixture than straight O-G which we tried last year.  We are also using CLE for math and working on cursive which he seems to enjoy.  Is there an easy way to add in a little bit more direct grammar instruction and spelling instruction or should I just wait longer?  He is an auditory learner, we've found.  We tried AAS1 in the past and it didn't stick but it was 2 years ago and maybe he wasn't ready.  I've looked into GWG, CLE LA, IEW phonetic zoo ... he knows nouns, verbs, pronouns and is learning adverb and adj.  He is in the processing of understanding possessive nouns from a workbook I picked up but it was 3-4th grade workbook and I'm wondering if it is a little too difficult.  He does well with spiral appr.  He struggled with mastery math programs but when we found CLE he can remember what he has learned and Is doing well.

Have you tried CM style? Honestly, I'd wait until 5th grade or so and use something like Simply Grammar, which is CM but just grammar. It can be done mostly orally, or with whatever amount of writing the exercises you feel is appropriate.

Our son is in 3rd grade (nearing the end of the year for us) ... he was diagnosed about 9 months ago with dyslexia.  We worked intensly this year on reading skills and handwriting (dysgraphia) with the help of a great OT and ST (he had muscle tone issues that were hampering writing and mispronouncing words also...) he's come a long way this school year.  We are using ABeCeDarian for phonics and an online program which is O-G based...he seems to do better with this mixture than straight O-G which we tried last year.  We are also using CLE for math and working on cursive which he seems to enjoy.  Is there an easy way to add in a little bit more direct grammar instruction and spelling instruction or should I just wait longer?  He is an auditory learner, we've found.  We tried AAS1 in the past and it didn't stick but it was 2 years ago and maybe he wasn't ready.  I've looked into GWG, CLE LA, IEW phonetic zoo ... he knows nouns, verbs, pronouns and is learning adverb and adj.  He is in the processing of understanding possessive nouns from a workbook I picked up but it was 3-4th grade workbook and I'm wondering if it is a little too difficult.  He does well with spiral appr.  He struggled with mastery math programs but when we found CLE he can remember what he has learned and Is doing well.

Maybe pick three sentences per day from whatever readers your DS is using and continue to indicate with a pencil the nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, and maybe prepositions.  You still need to discuss proper nouns and properly beginning and ending sentences.  Maybe stick with the basics until he is reading well.

Slowly and with patience he should be able to do anything. I used Rod and Staff (difficult text) with the kids I tutor who are dyslexic. I read everything and they write in the book. We do 1/2 a lesson everyday: One day the oral drill the next the written practice. They feel accomplished that they can do something hard.

My son did well with MCT, and I think he would have done well alternating MCT with Hake (for reinforcement of the details).  I didn't start grammar instruction with him until he was reading well and I don't think he ever really got grammar until he was about 12-13yo.

We stayed with very basic grammar concepts until my son was in about 7th grade. All through elementary school, we worked on basic nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs. Tried working on prepositions but not much stuck. Honestly, not much stuck at all until he was hitting high school age, and even then we never made into the highest level concepts.

Some things that did work well for us were Winston Grammar (Basic & Advanced), Easy Grammar Plus (at high school level), and believe it or not MCT at a level far below his age. Ds hated the silly stories when he was in high school, but the way MCT presented the information actually made sense to him. Ultimately, working with the concepts in different ways over the years was more helpful than using one curriculum and then being done with it.

For you, Winston Grammar might be a good next choice. It's multi-sensory, and, a plus for us since my son is dysgraphic, it was possible to do it without requiring a ton of writing.