Menu

Update in Post #22 and Post #1. Why do people who don't homeschool or afterschool or have no intention to homeschool their children

JadeOrchidSong

Choose to hang out here at WTM forums? I am just genuinely curious.

ETA: i will still be here AFTER my kids are no longer homeschooled, or graduate from homeschool. So I do understand why retired homeschoolers hang out here.

Also before your respond, please read my update Post #22.

I do know some people who are like what you described, homeschool verterans who graduated their children or sent their children to middle or high school after a few years of homeschooling. Those are not the people I referred to in my title, though.

Maybe it is because we are so cool and the forums are very active and people get responses extremely fast.

I know I'm not the poster you are talking about but just wanted to say that I no longer homeschool but still enjoy this board. My youngest is a sophomore in high school and was homeschooled through 8th. My oldest was homeschooled 4th through 8th. My middle daughter was homeschooled through most of high school but graduated last year. I have been on this board since the old boards probably 12 or 13 years ago if that's possible. I still come here for the wealth of information from people from all different backgrounds and of course for stories about kilts and cupcakes.

I homeschool, but even if I didn't, I love the thoughtful discussions and wealth of knowledge here. Yes, we have ugly threads occasionally, but I haven't been to any other boards where certain hot topics can be handled with the tactfulness and diplomacy I've seen here (esp religion threads). I've learned much and expanded my world view here :)

Choose to hang out here at WTM forums? I am just very curious. I just noticed a new registered member because of her very first post about Birthday Presents and she does not homeschool her daughter.

I have to admit that I find it odd when a new person joins the forum and the very first thing they post is a brand new thread about a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with homeschooling or education.

It would never have occurred to me to join a homeschooling forum to ask general parenting questions, but I figure that as long as the new people are nice and they don't turn out to be trolls, it's all good. :)

Well, I guess I'm not who you're asking about since I'm a home school veteran (if having done it for seven years is enough to qualify one as veteran), but . . . overall I see this board as being about education.  And just because a parent has kids in public/private school doesn't mean that parent isn't still very actively involved in their kids' education.  In fact, I'm always a bit puzzled by the either/or attitude, as if someone who has a child in public/private school isn't involved or interested at all in education.  I don't know any families like that.

Plus some of the discussions on the Chat board are so very interesting.  And informative sometimes.  I've certainly learned a lot here.

It is a good source of information on parenting in general.  And yeah, as Starr said, we're cool!   :coolgleamA:   (Also some members here might no longer homeschool but did for many years and have made friends here.)

Yup - count me in as one of the oldsters who not only has kids in college, now, (mostly) but did not hs high school at all. either.  I pretty much only use the Chat board now.  Since i am an introvert, and  mostly home all day with my adult son with autism, ya'all are my main social outlet. 

I'm sure that I'm one that you are talking about.  I was seriously looking into homeschooling a couple of years back, joined the boards, learned so much my head exploded so I decided to stay.   Dh put the kibosh on homeschooling so I'm a homeschooling wanabe. 

I never assume that public schooled kids' parents are NOT highly involved in their children's education. I know a lot who ARE. Maybe there are no such active forums elsewhere, and WTM offers the best diversified forums as to education and parenting in general that all are drawn in. That would be my conclusion.

Thank you for helping me understand how wonderful the forums here are that many people can learn a lot from each other and get help quickly. I certainly appreciate SWB for offering this to us all.

I sure will hang out here when my kids graduate from homeschool.

I was homeschooling at the time I joined and am still here because I want to be. I'm still just as interested in education now as I was when I was a homeschooler, and I also like the random discussions in the Chat board.

TWTM forums show up on Google search results, so they may have found the boards while looking up something else. New posters aren't necessarily new to the boards. They may have been lurking for a while and decided to join in the discussions.

My kids were brick and mortar for several years.  There were only two people I knew personally that were homeschooled.  My BIL because of health issues and only for middle school.  And a friend of my mother who chose to homeschool her granddaughter because of a whole host of reasons that normally families are not facing.  I had no idea homeschooling was so widespread or what it really involved.  Homeschooling was never even on the radar as a possibility.  I just didn't know much of anything about it.

But both of my kids have learning issues and learning gifts that were not being supported in school.  I did copious searches for ways to assist them over the years and was frequently directed to TWTM by the search engine.  I did not consider myself an "afterschooler".  I was just trying to take the material the school was giving my kids and help them actually learn it, since DD especially was really struggling.  In post after post that I read, I was reading about education but it was not readily apparent to me that the majority of posters are homeschoolers.  I actually had no idea.  I got my info, got out.  I never posted responses.  I didn't feel like I had enough knowledge to post.  I found the forum quite useful and appreciated having it as a resource.

And then I started homeschooling out of desperation to help my kids.  And my searches started getting more about homeschooling.  And TWTM kept popping up.  So I started not just hopping in to read a particular thread for info.  I started staying on the forum and reading posts from all over.  And I realized that this is a community, not just a source of info.   And that the majority here are, or have, or plan to homeschool or afterschool.  I have learned a lot and I have met some wonderful people here.  I am grateful it exists.  But I found it useful long before I ever even had homeschooling on my radar as a viable option.  Random searches with limited exposure really made it seem like an education forum in general, not a homeschooler's forum specifically.

I would just like to emphasize, there are many out there that may never homeschool or truly "afterschool" that may find this forum and glean a lot of helpful knowledge from it.  I would hope they would be welcome.  TWTM was a life saver for me for many years.  Individual threads on this forum are not always obviously "hit you in the face" primarily for or by homeschoolers so people who don't hang out here may very much not be aware that homeschoolers and afterschoolers are the norm until they have been here a bit longer.

Best wishes...

Maybe there are no such active forums elsewhere

I'm not sure who else has looked, but active homeschool boards are few and far between.  

More importantly, the philosophy of WTM seeps through the group as a whole, and consequently, I think parents here tend to have higher expectations of their homeschools than you can find elsewhere.

I'm not sure who else has looked, but active homeschool boards are few and far between.  

More importantly, the philosophy of WTM seeps through the group as a whole, and consequently, I think parents here tend to have higher expectations of their homeschools than you can find elsewhere.

You have a very valid point.  FWIW, I have looked (although I didn't make a scientific study of it.)  And actually I have not yet found another education board in general or homeschoolers board specifically, that covers the depth and breadth of this one that is as active.  In fact I don't know any educational boards, truly NONE as active as this one.  Mostly when I post elsewhere it may take days, weeks or months for a response.  And then maybe from one person.  Two or three if I am lucky.  This is the most active on-line "community" that is educationally based I have ever found.  But maybe there are others out there and I just haven't done the right searches yet.

Yeah, nor did I mean to limit my point to homeschool (given the question in the OP, afterall).  

This is a board that highly values education, whether that be via homeschooling, expectations of a good high school, or various college options.  

I have learned about so many different education options because of this board that I never would have discovered on my own.  

I have no problem with non homeschoolers here. I do find it odd when they go on and on about the virtues of institutionalized education here though. My own kid went to school for a couple years and I'm open to them going back at some point. I see the value of having options and I agree homeschooling is not for everyone. But I do not want to weed through posts insinuating kids that don't go to school are deprived in some way. It's not often, but it does happen.

I originally found this board when my daughter was 4 and I was teaching her to read. I learned about OPGTR and have now used it successfully with two children. I found other curriculum here that I used while my daughter was between schools for several months and then for afterschooling. I keep coming back for more resources on various types of enrichment. I'm really very interested in education, how children learn best and the different resources and methods out there. This is by far the best place to hear people have serious discussions about these topics! I belong to a few other boards that are for specific interests/ hobbies but the discussions here, even in general chat, are far more intellectual and thoughtful than other boards I have been on. This board has really led me to think about the type of education I want for my kids even if they are in school.

Something else to consider is that school parents are often encouraged to let teachers teach, not presume to teach any subjects at home. Provide supplementary learning and enrichment--sure. But the idea that real education happens at school still prevails in my experience. Using Story of the World and timelines to teach history at home because you find your school's social studies instruction lacking is not typical and can ruffle feathers. There is no forum that I've found other than TWTM that provides a place for those of us who are not currently homeschooling but who are more hands-on with our kids' education (outside of overseeing school assignments and homework) to feel at home. I don't think most parents who take that approach identify themselves as afterschoolers.

I don't think it necessarily jumps out at a newcomer that The Well-Trained Mind Community is a homeschooling board.  I'm sure it comes across eventually.  But homeschoolers aren't the only people who want their kids to have a well-trained mind.

I know I'm not the poster you are talking about but just wanted to say that I no longer homeschool but still enjoy this board. My youngest is a sophomore in high school and was homeschooled through 8th. My oldest was homeschooled 4th through 8th. My middle daughter was homeschooled through most of high school but graduated last year. I have been on this board since the old boards probably 12 or 13 years ago if that's possible. I still come here for the wealth of information from people from all different backgrounds and of course for stories about kilts and cupcakes.

And we've got to wean ourselves.  I was a hser for 12 years. My youngest started high school only a few months ago. These break-ups take time. Besides, don't you want to know how we did it...how we survived college applications, all those Februaries, and the like? :)  

My kids were brick and mortar for several years. There were only two people I knew personally that were homeschooled. My BIL because of health issues and only for middle school. And a friend of my mother who chose to homeschool her granddaughter because of a whole host of reasons that normally families are not facing. I had no idea homeschooling was so widespread or what it really involved. Homeschooling was never even on the radar as a possibility. I just didn't know much of anything about it.

But both of my kids have learning issues and learning gifts that were not being supported in school. I did copious searches for ways to assist them over the years and was frequently directed to TWTM by the search engine. I did not consider myself an "afterschooler". I was just trying to take the material the school was giving my kids and help them actually learn it, since DD especially was really struggling. In post after post that I read, I was reading about education but it was not readily apparent to me that the majority of posters are homeschoolers. I actually had no idea. I got my info, got out. I never posted responses. I didn't feel like I had enough knowledge to post. I found the forum quite useful and appreciated having it as a resource.

And then I started homeschooling out of desperation to help my kids. And my searches started getting more about homeschooling. And TWTM kept popping up. So I started not just hopping in to read a particular thread for info. I started staying on the forum and reading posts from all over. And I realized that this is a community, not just a source of info. And that the majority here are, or have, or plan to homeschool or afterschool. I have learned a lot and I have met some wonderful people here. I am grateful it exists. But I found it useful long before I ever even had homeschooling on my radar as a viable option. Random searches with limited exposure really made it seem like an education forum in general, not a homeschooler's forum specifically.

I would just like to emphasize, there are many out there that may never homeschool or truly "afterschool" that may find this forum and glean a lot of helpful knowledge from it. I would hope they would be welcome. TWTM was a life saver for me for many years. Individual threads on this forum are not always obviously "hit you in the face" primarily for or by homeschoolers so people who don't hang out here may very much not be aware that homeschoolers and afterschoolers are the norm until they have been here a bit longer.

Best wishes...

You have a very valid point. FWIW, I have looked (although I didn't make a scientific study of it.) And actually I have not yet found another education board in general or homeschoolers board specifically, that covers the depth and breadth of this one that is as active. In fact I don't know any educational boards, truly NONE as active as this one. Mostly when I post elsewhere it may take days, weeks or months for a response. And then maybe from one person. Two or three if I am lucky. This is the most active on-line "community" that is educationally based I have ever found. But maybe there are others out there and I just haven't done the right searches yet.

These are both wonderful posts. I ended up here after looking for curriculum reviews. I wasn't homeschooling when I joined, simply looking to help dc with special needs. The homeschooling and general education/ enrichment advice here is helpful for any parent who cares about how their dc develop.

I would not want to see a hierarchy of posters based on ps vs hs parents.

Oh, I just HAVE to add that I would not have my lovely Speed Queen washer if it were not for WTM, lol.

What I don't get is why people have to question other people's "legitimacy" to join this board in the first place.  It is a public forum.  Anyone can join.  People have reasons for joining boards that may not be YOUR reason for joining, but as long as they not being jerks and breaking the board rules, why would anyone else care? 

This forum has excellent (non-curriculum) book recommendations from classic novels to vintage science to living history. Any parent who has an interest in reading to their kids or in the material their kids read would find a wealth of information here. I also think this is a place where non-homeschooling parents can find phonics based program suggestions to help their struggling readers succeed in school.

Plus, on the homepage of the forum nowhere does it say "homeschoolers." It says "The Well-Trained Mind Community," "General Education Board," "K-8 Curriculum Board," "High School and Self Education Board," etc. The closest it comes to saying "homeschooling" is "Parent's Forum Afterschooling Board."

I expect to continue to visit here long after I finish homeschooling. And because of this forum I know to buy a Speed Queen the minute as my old Kenmore dies! 

These are both wonderful posts. I ended up here after looking for curriculum reviews. I wasn't homeschooling when I joined, simply looking to help dc with special needs. The homeschooling and general education/ enrichment advice here is helpful for any parent who cares about how their dc develop.

I would not want to see a hierarchy of posters based on ps vs hs parents.

Oh, I just HAVE to add that I would not have my lovely Speed Queen washer if it were not for WTM, lol.

Thanks, Alessandra!  :)

And while I haven't gotten a new washer based on advice here, some lovely people on the Chat board helped me get rid of the awful cat spray scent in a bedroom.  Yeah!!!!  :)

I'm a homeschool graduate myself and I originally joined this forum when I was researching curricula for a college project. I do intend to homeschool, but that's still years away. I hang out sometimes because I like homeschoolers and I sometimes share my perspective as a graduate. My mom has been on here for years, but doesn't post much lately. (Hi Mom!!)

I think most or all of us are very happy to have people who don't homeschool here, because everyone here contributes in some form or fashion. There's a young lady here who doesn't even have kids, but she seems like a lovely person who provides thoughtful and insightful posts, and I always enjoy reading what she has to say.

And, I have some really fantastic winter boots that I found out about here at WTM! :)

What I don't get is why people have to question other people's "legitimacy" to join this board in the first place. It is a public forum. Anyone can join. People have reasons for joining boards that may not be YOUR reason for joining, but as long as they not being jerks and breaking the board rules, why would anyone else care?

I was genuinely curious. Please read post 22 for my conclusion after I posted my question and read people's responses. I am at a good place.

I have no problem with non homeschoolers here. I do find it odd when they go on and on about the virtues of institutionalized education here though. My own kid went to school for a couple years and I'm open to them going back at some point. I see the value of having options and I agree homeschooling is not for everyone. But I do not want to weed through posts insinuating kids that don't go to school are deprived in some way. It's not often, but it does happen.

I agree with this.

I'll chime in as a long-time lurker but not a homeschooler. I joined these boards probably three or four years ago when my oldest was a preschooler and I was contemplating homeschooling. As a family we have decided to use the local public schools for our kids for now. If things were to change, I feel that thanks to this board I would be comfortable homeschooling. I also use this board to supplement my kids' education if I feel there's a gap or a need.

I don't visit the education boards that much these days, but I do like reading the chat boards as the topics are varied and I always learn something new or see things from a different point of view. In addition, because this board is so active, if I have a question about something whether it's a style question, a health question, etc. etc., I can usually find opinions just by using the search key. Plus, this board is just really nice.

I don't visit the education boards that much these days, but I do like reading the chat boards as the topics are varied and I always learn something new or see things from a different point of view. In addition, because this board is so active, if I have a question about something whether it's a style question, a health question, etc. etc., I can usually find opinions just by using the search key. Plus, this board is just really nice.

Yep, the collective Hive Mind is an awesome resource.  :)

Sometimes I google topics (hs or totally unrelated to hs) and include "well trained mind" just to get hits from the board. 

I once googled ''Chiropractor Well Trained Mind" in order to find a broad range of opinions from people who do their own research and people who do believe in natural medicine. Lots of good info

So, yes, the non-homeschool discussion in this community is great!

I am now homeschooling my son while my daughter attends a charter school. By my son's choice, I will most likely not homeschool next year. 

I was not homeschooling, however, when I found this board. One day, I googled "I hate my church" out of desperation. I was sick of contemporary worship (just not my thing) and the constant requests for my husband's musical talents, etc. that left me feeling like a church widow of sorts. It was hard to hear how wonderful my husband was and be stuck at home cleaning, nursing, and maintaining non-stop. The conversations that I found here were well-considered and stimulating; it was the best adult conversation in which I had participated or listened--other than with my spouse--in years.

I am an educator. I received a fine public school education, yet I was not at all happy with the experience of my two youngest children. This board showed me that there were more choices to be had, one of the best was, indeed, to be found in my own home.

Anyway, that is my story.

I had a baby last year and found myself visiting pregnancy boards with birth clubs, you know the ones. After spending so much time here, I was flabbergasted at the tone of the boards there. Choosing to homeschool your kids (or caring enough about their education to seek out forums with the title of WTM) requires a certain maturity that is not required for mere pregnancy. :D These boards have such a good tone to them.

We have our moments, but overall the level of maturity and thoughtful responses makes this a 'safe' place to ask a question about nearly anything.

I've bought several things after first checking for opinions here. I think the reviews of products and books here are often more useful than the ones on Amazon.