Menu

Please help this mom-of-a-middle-schooler understand Dual Enrollment

I hope this isn't a stupid question....

Here in Oregon, "dual enrollment" refers to being enrolled in community college and a 4-year university at the same time.

Here in Oregon, the local CC has something called "dual credit", which is taking an advanced level high school course at an approved high school, and receiving CC credit for it.

So I'm confused.

My question......what exactly do ya'll mean when you refer to dual enrollment? Is this an official program you have to sign up for, or is it just the idea of taking CC classes for credit, and using these to fulfill your high school homeschool goals?

Thank you for any help!

Hi, Nutmeg, we're in Oregon, too! This is the first yr that my 14 yo will be taking concurrent enrollment at CC. We opted for this instead of dual enrollment at the local high school for a couple of reasons:

1. She'll be earning college credit and fulfilling some high school classes at the same time. For ex: she's taking a French class. At the high school, she would take it for the entire yr to get the credit. At CC, she'll take it for 12 wks; thus fulfilling 1 "yr" of foreign lang requirement.

2. I like the flexibility of her taking a CC class with our homeschool schedule.

3. I like the maturity of the students at the college vs high school.

The negative is that it all comes out of our pocket (expenses); whereas, how I understand it, there's no addt'l expense if your child attends the local high school. HTH

Here in NC, a high school student aged 16 or over can enroll concurrently at a community college provided that half of their school day takes place in their normal school. Many homeschool students take advantage of this dual or concurrent enrollment opportunity which offers free tuition.

So when an NC poster talks about "dual enrollment", I would assume that she means a high school student who is also enrolled at a CC or a university.

Jane

In Oregon, students under 15 have to meet with the Director of Admissions, fill out a "sp admissions" form, take a placement test, and have the professors sign a form stating that he/she is okay with a younger student attending his/her class. Also a 14 & 15 yo are limited to taking 8 credits. At 16, an Oregon student, can take up to 11 credits, needs to fill out a "sp admissions" form, take a placement test but no longer is required to get authorization from a prospective prof. As a high school jr/sr, there's the Expanded Options program, too, which allows a student to either take a college-level class at the high school or at the CC & it's paid by the school district (including textbooks!). Hope this additional info helps.

Here in NC, a high school student aged 16 or over can enroll concurrently at a community college provided that half of their school day takes place in their normal school. Many homeschool students take advantage of this dual or concurrent enrollment opportunity which offers free tuition.

So when an NC poster talks about "dual enrollment", I would assume that she means a high school student who is also enrolled at a CC or a university.

Nearly the same in Florida except that the student can take all of their classes at the community college or university tuition free. Many homeschoolers opt to finish their last 2 years in a CC or university and end up with their AA as they graduate from high school.

HTH,

Lisa

I'm also in VA. Dual Enrollment can refer to two different things (depending where you enroll)--a homeschooled student can take up to two high school classes while being homeschooled. No college credit for these, just high school.

Or, a homeschooled student (under 18) can enroll in Community College and take up to 11 hours. College credit is given for these. There's no difference between community college and university credit. Not all CC classes transfer to all universities. But it still counts as college credit.

My ds is taking two classes in CC for college credit and finishing the rest at home. He could also take two classes (core classes) at the local high school, but he decided not to.

In our area, dual enrollment means that the student is getting high school AND college credit. They can take 2 classes dual enrollment, paid for by the state. Concurrent enrollment is that the student is taking college courses but not getting high school credit for it. The student has to have special permission to do this and has to pay for it at the time of registration--no financial aid avail.

Thank you for these responses! It is interesting to see how it works in different states.

Another question please:

When one says ...and get both high school AND college credit for it.... I'm trying to wrap my brain around this....

As an independent homeschooling family (no cover school, no accredited diploma, no charter, no guidelines or requirements in our state hsing law), who decides if a class is worthy of receiving high school credit on a homeschool transcript??

I assume that responsibility falls on my dh and I. We would look at a typical high school course of study, research college admission requirements, and find resources to help us meet our student's goals.

Am I wrong here?

Another question please:

When one says ...and get both high school AND college credit for it.... I'm trying to wrap my brain around this....who decides if a class is worthy of receiving high school credit on a homeschool transcript??

Nutmeg~ since you live in OR, you may want to double check the state's homeschooling laws (www.hslda.org) just to be on the safe side...for as what I'm aware of, we (OR) need to have our kids assessment tested at the ends of grades 3, 5, 8 & 10 or 11 (can't remember at the moment) & need to meet the basic 15 percentile mark. Other than that, in OR, how you & your dh do your transcripts & what classes to count are determined by you & the intended college/univ your student applies to. Meaning, if you check your student's university's website & meet their entrance qualifications for a homeschooled student, then you'll tweak your application pkt (transcripts, if required) to fit that. For ex: some colleges don't have hs'd students do anything differently at appl time; whereas some require SAT II scores & a literature list, etc. I hope all this that I'm typing makes sense.