Menu

College Prep Grammar & Vocabulary - Landry class

Has anyone used this class  -  Did your think it was a good review to finish off studying grammer.   

I want to focus the girls on Literature and Writing but feel like they could benefit from one last solid semester of Grammar (from someone else)

The instructor is Erin Sipe

My son took this class last year and he absolutely loved it. I credit Mrs Sipe for turning a subject that can be tedious into a wonderful study. (Disclosure : My son loves learning through online classes. He prefers interaction to just sitting alone reading. Also, he had already worked with the Michael Clay Thomson curriculum before and this was a natural step for him.)

I am not sure whether your girls have taken a class with Landry Academy before, so I will describe the setting too. This is a very interactive class, there is 1.5 hours of class and students participate via chat and microphone. You can actually see the teacher, it is as close as you can get to a real class. 

The MCT curriculum was already our favorite for grammar.  There is a book for grammar and a book for vocabulary with roots/suffixes/prefixes from both Latin and Greek. It is pretty thorough and a bit more fun than other grammar curricula. 

There is homework and quizzes almost every week. They use a website for home study that you can play video games for the words learned. 

Mrs Sipe was knowledgeable and a very warm, welcoming person. She was very helpful and quick to come back for any questions my son or I had. 

The results : My son is also enrolled in a Literature/Writing class and I can see that his writing has improved. A few days ago he gave me a lecture on how a comma splice is different from a run on sentence. I didn't even know that comma splice existed :huh: . He also loved the teacher so much that he wants to take more classes with her. 

The only complaint I have for this class is that they deleted all the content just as the class was over. I printed his scores and grade but I wish they didn't have to delete everything so soon. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My son took this class last year and he absolutely loved it. I credit Mrs Sipe for turning a subject that can be tedious into a wonderful study. (Disclosure : My son loves learning through online classes. He prefers interaction to just sitting alone reading. Also, he had already worked with the Michael Clay Thomson curriculum before and this was a natural step for him.)

I am not sure whether your girls have taken a class with Landry Academy before, so I will describe the setting too. This is a very interactive class, there is 1.5 hours of class and students participate via chat and microphone. You can actually see the teacher, it is as close as you can get to a real class. 

The MCT curriculum was already our favorite for grammar.  There is a book for grammar and a book for vocabulary with roots/suffixes/prefixes from both Latin and Greek. It is pretty thorough and a bit more fun than other grammar curricula. 

There is homework and quizzes almost every week. They use a website for home study that you can play video games for the words learned. 

Mrs Sipe was knowledgeable and a very warm, welcoming person. She was very helpful and quick to come back for any questions my son or I had. 

The results : My son is also enrolled in a Literature/Writing class and I can see that his writing has improved. A few days ago he gave me a lecture on how a comma splice is different from a run on sentence. I didn't even know that comma splice existed :huh: . He also loved the teacher so much that he wants to take more classes with her. 

The only complaint I have for this class is that they deleted all the content just as the class was over. I printed his scores and grade but I wish they didn't have to delete everything so soon. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Which writing and literature courses did your child finish at Landry academy?Are there religion content in writing and literature courses?

If student needs to omit memorization of bible verses,then is allowed in a class?Thanks.