Menu

History of Jazz? Needing resources for DD11's writing class

She is currently taking Mini Reports through Bravewriter and has decided to write on the history of Jazz music. I found that Ken Burns has a documentary on netflix. There is a blurb in Joy Hakim's 9th book. I'm not finding a lot of "kid friendly" book resources though. Any suggestions?

She listens to jazz a lot (her favorite type of music), but she wants to take her knowledge further!

The Great Courses' Elements of Jazz course is accessible and well done but there is one disc where Messenger goes into s*xual context.

Your library might have it.

And it's on sale now for $15.95 / $19.95

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=728

Free shipping coupon code: W4B7 till April 3.

PS: if she's very interested, you can finish listening to it in about 2-3 days. :)

Could she perhaps study a specific artist instead? The history of jazz is such a broad topic that it may help by having a specific focus. I remember when I was in sixth grade I wrote a little research paper on Louis Armstrong. Through his life I learned a good deal about the history of jazz. Plus there were many kid-friendly resources to be found on the topic. 

My kids just finished "who was Louis Armstrong". It would be a quick read for an older child. It was very interesting and did get into the history of jazz. There is also a brainpop video that talks about jazz and was pretty informative. It might give your child a place to start.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd come back and post an update. She ended up doing her report on the life of Duke Ellington (one of her favorite jazz artists). Here is a link to the final product (no formatting or pictures included here, but she did have all of that in her final product!)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512047-final-submission-for-bravewriters-mini-reports/