Menu

writing for an ASD kiddo that hates to write

Aoife

my DS 7 1/2 hates to write, he has very sloppy handwriting even with HWOT and just doesn't enjoy the act of physical writing at all.  Now he doesn't mind writing numbers though which is odd LOL.  Anyway for things that require writing is there a way that anyone has found to use a computer to type up things like worksheets ect.  

There are programs that will allow you to convert worksheets into writable pdfs. But at his age, I'd probably just scribe for him and keep handwriting as a wholly separate subject.  (Actually that is what I do.)  I also use a lot of computer based learning that allows keyboard input.  For instance, I use Explode the Code Online rather than the ETC workbooks. 

List of resources here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/402918-convert-a-paper-workbook-into-a-digital-one/?hl=dysgraphia+resources#entry4059112

Definitely start having him learn to type as well. It can take a long time to gain typing proficiency, so it's important to start early if you think it's going to be a logjam later on. We are still looking for a typing program that we like really well, though my son is willing to try most anything. My son doesn't like typing gibberish, though real words used in silly ways don't bother him. I am looking at AVKO keyboarding to see if that would be better--the samples seem to use real words, and it's supposed to complement Sequential Spelling.

• 3 weeks later...