Menu

IEW PAL - can I get some reviews on how it worked for your child?

I have a 5 year old, too, and LOVE it!  We've done through lesson 20 and he's reading simple things and decoding things I don't expect for beginning to read (for example, the first time he saw the word sheep he was able to figure it out because he had been taught what ee say when they get together).  It uses a lot of stories to go along with the letters/letter combinations and that is so totally right up his alley.  He LOVES those stories and they really help him to remember what letter combinations say (he already knew his letters and their sounds from Leap Frog long before we started).  He went to public school for 5 months and was so excited to learn to read in kindergarten, but ended up learning only a handful of sight words the whole time and nothing else.  I'm amazed how quickly he's picking up reading using PAL (he also uses Reading Eggs... but he had hit a wall in that for a little bit and was able to break through the wall after a few more lessons of PAL).

We have not been using the writing part, but after seeing a picture of it in the IEW Magalog he announced he wanted to do that, too, so I ordered it and it should be here today or tomorrow and we'll start it on Monday when we go back to school (spring break this week).  I had held off because writing is super difficult for him physically.  All my kids were late bloomers in that respect (and one is dysgraphic).  Writing time (and there's a LOT of writing time in public kindergarten!) always was when he'd get into the most trouble at school.  But I have noticed he's coming around to it a little bit, so we'll see how it goes.

I did a pretty long blog post about PAL a couple weeks ago including lots of pictures and some videos.  http://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/learning-to-read-with-pal/