Menu

Spelling Program Recs for Natural Speller - R&S or A Beka ?

Col267

Hello!

I am looking for some input on choosing a spelling program for next year. My dd will be 10yo by then. She has done AAS 1-3, Phonetic Zoo Level A, and The Writing Road to Reading - all the lists. I had originally planned to put her in R&S Grade 5, but after I ordered it and looked at it, I wondered if it would be too easy for her. My dd is a very good speller, but I do still feel the need for her to practice spelling with some kind of curriculum.

I have heard that A Beka's spelling is challenging so that is the other program I am considering. I do like how R&S makes them think and I believe all that I've heard about how the strength of the program is in the exercises. However, I would hate to start her in it and have her be bored and not learning anything new. I guess my other option might be to try R&S 6 instead.

So, R&S 5, or R&S 6, or A Beka? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would quickly run through the lesson word lists for R&S 5 with your dd to get a feel for where she should be placed. My kids work about a year ahead in the R&S spelling. I am not familiar with Abeka, but I like the simple methodology of R&S so, personally, I try to stick with their programs.

Spelling by Sound and Structure. It isn't only about spelling the words properly; it's also about all of the activities in each lesson. That's what makes it challenging.

You could start her in the sixth grade book, which is a textbook instead of a workbook. That alone will up the ante. :-)