Menu

dd14's first story

My teens have been quite reluctant writers.  To the point that even copywork has been treated as if I was asking them to scribe in blood.  Recently though my dd14 has taken to writing songs and poetry and has now started this online story.  I can see some work she needs in it and will point it out and then leave it up to her, after all while the spelling errors and grammar mistakes drive me nuts it is not a school paper.  Anyway, what do you think overall about how she is starting out in her first story?

http://www.wattpad.com/41358894?utm_source=web%3Areading&utm_medium=facebook&ref_id=23156122

It's a fun first story. She makes me want to read more. There is quite a bit of editing to be done which is difficult since she's been so reluctant to write. Is it possible to take a day and go over the editing for her English class?  It makes me crazy when my dd blogs and doesn't edit well but wants the world to read it. 

That's what I am thinking.  I am going to go over it with her but not make her change it.  I will just point out the difference it makes and leave it in her court.  I am glad it is starting up because first term next year she is doing an online high school writing class which has weekly assignments starting with a paragraph and the leading up to a 5 paragraph essay.  I want her to have fun with the writing now, but learn the basics so that the class will feel "easy" to her as she builds her ability.

Now just to get ds15 on board with writing too.

• 2 months later...

I just got the WWS 1 set on sale and dd14 did her first lesson for older students.  I like the structure, and editing in the Teacher's manual.  I plan to use Creative Writing along with it in the Fall.

What online writing class are you using?  My oldest 2 have been in IEW level A only.  Copywork before that and not much this year at all!  I have too many books on writing and needed structure for now.

The story is nice so far too, although I am unsure if the Moon child is human at all?  Taking showers and going into town sounds like she can look human?

The class is with our school board, so first term next year both teens have the writing class, classic mystery for lit and human society as a philosophy/ethics class all offered by our board.  They do allow for registration of students not from our board but those witht eh board get the spots in class first kwim.

As for the moon child yes she looks human but can then shift into the forms from what I understand from dd.  I'm going to have to see if she has worked on this story more.  She has been doing some song writing lately and is part of a role playing group online where she is a wolf in a clan.  I don't get it all, but it gets her writing so I go with the flow.