Menu

Lord's Prayer in Latin

My ds8 is doing self study Latin (his idea). In our family devotions we are learning the Lord's Prayer, and he decided to write it in both English and Latin. The last phrase, "for Yours is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever. Amen." is not in his Latin book. Does anyone know how to say it, or is it just not in the Latin Bible? I promised him I'd ask because he was quite upset that here on the last section he couldn't do both languages!

It's also said at Catholic Masses but not when said in private. I don't think it's in the gospel either, but now I want to check.

ETA: Okay I found a note that said it's in some more recent manuscripts.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6:13&version=NIV

I also checked the Vulgate online and it's not included.

Edited for correction to more recent (vs. older) manuscripts.

If he is interested, I use this website. My son has no interest in Koine, but I went to Catholic school and use these for memory work.

http://www.adoremus.org/Latin-Prayers.html

You can find many read aloud on YouTube if he wants to hear the rhythm of the prayers. It adds a lot and really helps with the memorizing with me. It makes the language flow.

ETA: if you can find the prayers sung, it is one of the most enchanting and intoxicating sounds. He might really like it. Latin was really a language that landed itself to rhythm.