Menu

Another way to do AAS 1

Flowergirl159

Would this work:

Monday - Give child spelling words for a lesson. Have child spell words out loud and write them out for two days.

Wednesday - check spelling ability on those words and teach concept at beginning of lesson.

Thursday - dictate some sentences

Friday - test spelling words and finish dictated sentences.

This method worked the first week I tried it (the scripted way in the program has not been working) We have just started our second week of this method. This child has a preference to learning visually and was struggling to work out the spelling of words that she had not already yet seen. So I thought that by giving her the words to work on first, then teach the rule, might work better for her. So far, so good! She loved having a list to work on.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this or similar, and how has worked out for you.

My older child is different and does not work with lists (the way the spelling program worked that we first had for her before we found AAS) and she loves and thrives on the way AAS is scripted. So I know the intended plan does work, it just doesn't seem to work for one of mine. A year ago, we stopped half way through level 1 because it seemed too hard for her, I thought perhaps she wasn't ready for it. We picked it back up again a few weeks ago, and are now having the same trouble.

Anything that works for your child seems like it would qualify as "working" to me.

It is also possible that AAS isn't what you are looking for. The program is meant to be more learning the rule first, then applying it. By giving the words for two days before teaching the rule, I would thing that the method is more like memorizing traditional spelling lists. Maybe there's something that would work better for this child, such as Sequential Spelling.

We adapted AAS. DD works best by having the rule first, but the slowness of using the letter tiles was driving her bonkers. Her writing ability is lower than her spelling ability, so we switched to her typing the dictated words and phrases on the iPad. Suddenly, she is flying through level 1. So our usual progression is a couple minutes of review, I'll quickly present the new concept with the letter tiles, and then we'll move to the iPad for words and phrases.

Well, I would change it up a wee bit for my gals but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for yours. I would teach the rule first. I use the tiles for demonstration but mine hate using them. So, I show and spell several words and then have them write them out on their electronic boogie boards. Dictate for two days and once they can spell whatever word I throw at them successfully, I give them a pass on that step.

This child also does not like the tiles, so for quite a while now, she has written her words on our whiteboard.

Even though I changed the way we do the lesson, she still had tears when it came to the dictated phrases.

I really, really want this program to work (I live overseas so it cost a LOT to get it here). Its perfect for my oldest, like I said earlier. But I so want to find a way to make it work for all of my children.

Maybe she would be better off if I used another program or different approach. Then come back to AAS with her in another year or so. Then she can learn the words, then AAS would be just teaching her the rules?!

Its so disheartening seeing her dislike our spelling lessons, especially when most days, she cries about it :(

I use AAS as it is written, since it works well for my rule-minded guy, so I can't speak from experience about the method you're using. But what you wrote sounds to me like your daughter benefits from having specific examples in front of her to help her understand the rule, rather than the other way around (i.e., the kind of kid who likes to get to know some trees before thinking about the whole forest.)

I don't see why this is necessarily a bad thing, as long as she can then apply the rule to words beyond the initial words that you already showed her. Perhaps you could have her work with half the list first, before presenting the rule, and then see if she can apply the rule to the remaining words the following days? This might give you a better sense of whether learning the rules is doing her any good. If she still can't apply the rule at that point, perhaps AAS isn't the curriculum for her. But if she can apply the rule then, I don't see any harm you do in taking that route to get there.

This child also does not like the tiles, so for quite a while now, she has written her words on our whiteboard.

Even though I changed the way we do the lesson, she still had tears when it came to the dictated phrases.

I really, really want this program to work (I live overseas so it cost a LOT to get it here). Its perfect for my oldest, like I said earlier. But I so want to find a way to make it work for all of my children.

Maybe she would be better off if I used another program or different approach. Then come back to AAS with her in another year or so. Then she can learn the words, then AAS would be just teaching her the rules?!

Its so disheartening seeing her dislike our spelling lessons, especially when most days, she cries about it :(

Would she do better with an app? Sound Literacy is the tiles in an app for iPad.

I also use the dictation sentences as least 2 steps behind, not concurrently. Ds 2 is on Step 18, for example, so today he spelled 10 words on paper and did 3 dictation phrases from Step 16. So essentially by the time we get to the dictation sentences, they are used as a review. I'm never dictating sentences that include the spelling rules or words we are working on for the week. Make sense?

Audio is not the best way for her. Hearing me say the word, she has trouble working out the sounds in a word. She is a visual learner and needs to see the word first, then its really easy for her to spell the word when asked. An app is a good idea and my oldest would love that :) This child is different and an app or hearing the word would only frustrate her and bring her to tears :( Which is what AAS is scripted to do, mum/teacher says the word for the child to hear, then child works out how to spell it. I need to find option where she can visualise it first :)

I used AAS1 a bit differently from how I've used AAS2 and currently AAS3.  For one, I did not start the spelling list/test/dictation sentences until my kiddos were in AAS2.  

Currently, on Mondays we have "Spelling Defense" or "Word Analysis" as AAS calls it.  We go over some of the rules we've learned from past lessons.  We might play hangman.  They get their spelling list on Monday.

On tuesday, we tackle the new rule.  We do NOT use the AAS tiles...because I teach two kiddos at the same time, the tiles were a major distraction and we ended up just putting them aside and doing our work on the whiteboard.  

On Wednesday, they write their spelling words in both all-caps and all LC.  This is handwriting practice for that day, and it helps them to cement those words.  

On Thursday, we tackle more of the rule (many of the lessons can easily be divided into two days like this).  If the rule is a short one, we'll review more of the older AAS material. 

Friday is the spelling test.  First, they have five dictation sentences which I choose from past lessons.  Then they have the words.  

Bonus...if they get everything correct on both sides of their spelling paper, they pick a candy from the candy jar...lol.  

I think the nice thing about AAS is that it doesn't teach just 10words a week. It teaches how to spell words that follow the rule.

I think that going over the 10 words first would be fine. But you say she is upset about the dictation sentences. Is that because the sentences are too long? Or because she is asked to spell words that are not on her 10 word list?

The only thing I would be worried about is that she is learning the 10 word list for the 'test' then forgetting how to spell those words for later Dictations. Or not learning how to apply the spelling to other words. If she memorized the spelling in sock but then spelled rock as rok.

Could she read through a list of all the words that follow the rule she is studying that week ahead of her lessons? They do that in some of the higher levels. One of my girls is learning when to use ee this week. So you could have her read a list of ee words before practicing each day.

This is our schedule w/ addition of reviewing a word list

Monday. review rule cards

(Read list of words to study that week)

Tuesday. Teach lesson

Read list of words

Wednesday.

Read list of words

She spells the 10 word list and some bonus words

Thursday

Reads list

Dictations

Friday

Reads list

Dictations

But you say she is upset about the dictation sentences. Is that because the sentences are too long? Or because she is asked to spell words that are not on her 10 word list?

The only thing I would be worried about is that she is learning the 10 word list for the 'test' then forgetting how to spell those words for later Dictations. Or not learning how to apply the spelling to other words. If she memorized the spelling in sock but then spelled rock as rok.

Her dictations are only 2 or 3 words, so they aren't too long. We are still only in level 1. I have been giving her about 16 words, 10 from the list and the other 6 from the additional words that I know she will use. The dictation is given to her within the same week that she is working on the words, so they are still fresh in her mind. HTH

I agree with what some others have already written.  One of the reasons I like AAS (personally) is that it isn't a 'learn 10 words by rote and then take a test' type of curriculum.  So I (personally) wouldn't want to change it into one of those types of programs by having them spell words out loud and copy them multiple times.   That is how I learned to spell, and I am a TERRIBLE speller. 

I also don't like the idea of having children verbally spell the words using the letter names.  I think that would cause problems down the road.  The reason being, the names of the letters are often times completely different from the sound the letter makes when spelling. (Example:  the letter u...its name is confusingly similar to the short sound it makes....just similar enough to teach the child bad habits.  Same thing with w. )  You want to get the child in the habit of decoding the word sound for sound....NOT letter by letter.  So as they are writing, they are making the various sounds in the word to themselves....NOT the letter names.  (Think of what they did in the early lessons with the little pennies or bingo markers when they were decoding the word cat into three sounds.)   And you want to get them used to thinking in terms of phonograms NOT individual letters.  "qu" and "nk" and "ck"....NOT "Q" by itself then "u" by itself, etc.

I also feel that the dictation phrases are incredibly important at this age.  (Notice I didn't say fun or easy...but important.)  I think that they teach a child to hold a short thought in their mind while they are working really hard to spell it and write it.  That is SO important for writing later on.  And so again, I would personally be reluctant to skip this part of the lesson even if it caused some frustration.  (Within reason.)  My son balked at this activity when we first started.  However, I talked to him about why we were doing it.  I also explained that I understood that it was a difficult task.  (It isn't suppose to be easy.)  So we talked about how we were only going to do 2 short phrases a day--but that he needed to have a good attitude and try his best during those two phrases.

Here is how we do our lessons and what our week looks like:

Set a timer for 20 minutes.  THEN we do the following things.  We stop whenever the timer goes off even if we haven't done everything in the list.

1)  Quick review of EVERY key card we have covered.  We do this every day even though they have them memorized frontwards and backwards.  We consider this our spelling memory work.  This really helps them get the rules down.  I do it 'game show style' where I prompt for a rule card and the kids rush to raise their hand and answer it first. 

2)  QUICK (1 minutes) review of previous mastered words.  I pull out 2-3 word cards at random and they spell them.  They get to spell them using WHATEVER tools they prefer.  (Tiles, dry erase marker on board, chalk on board, lipstick on window, whatever.)

3)  IF we are to a new lesson, we quickly cover the new stuff using the magnetic board.  (My kids don't like the tiles either, but I make them do it anyways.  My son in particular NEEDS the multi-sensory approach that the letter tiles bring to the lesson.  We have a rule that anytime you touch a tile, you have to make its sound.  The act of actually touching a letter tile and moving it helps to remind him to parse the word into sounds in his head since each tile is a sound.  And the act of hearing himself say the sound each time he moves it gives him auditory reenforcement.  He also needs the visual reinforcement.  He also needs the visual reinforcement.  Visually seeing that some letter combinations form a single sound of phonogram is tremendously important.  ex:  He needs to see the 'ng' tile so he thinks of that as one sound. )   NOTE:  If there is no new lesson, we skip step 3.

4)  They then number their paper from 1-12 every day.   I first work through the basic new words.  (That is the first 10)  Then I give them two phrases each day for 11 and 12.    The next day we do 10 words from the 'more words' section and 2 more phrases.  We always do EVERY word from the 'more words' because I believe that more practice never hurts.)  If for some reason we don't have 10 new words, I say some words from previous lessons for more review.  And if for some reason they don't have 2 more phrases, I just pull some phrases from other previous lessons.  My point is that we ALWAYS (everyday) have 12 things to spell.  (10 words and 2 phrases.)  We have done this all year so they have come to expect it as part of spelling.  They don't balk anymore at the phrases.  

Also...I don't treat #4 as a test.  We treat this as practice.  So if I see them starting to spell a work incorrectly, I start saying one of their key cards to prompt them to catch their mistake and fix it.  

Example:  My son starts to spell "clas" on his paper. 

I stop him and remind him of the "floss rule" by saying the text on the key card for that rule. 

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas!

I have multiple children using AAS, so "Day 1" for each child is a different day of the week to lighted my load. Here's what we do:

Day 1: Go through the new lesson. I write all of the new words on an index card for him to keep in his folder for the week. It includes any recent trouble words and any new rules we have covered.

Day 2: Review AAS cards. Spelling City activities for about 15 minutes on his ipad. I have the paid version and put all the words into the program before we started the year.

Day 3: He picks a Spelling Activity card (http://www.blessedbeyondadoubt.com/spell-cards-printable/) and does the activity.

Day 4: Review AAS cards. Writing Station activity (if the lesson has one), otherwise Spelling City again.

Day 5: Test the word list, any trouble words he has been working on for the week, and dictation. Any words missed (including ones in the dictation exercises) are added to the next week's list.

It sounds like you can adapt this, but maybe adapt it at a slower pace. We use a timer and we only do 15 minutes. I would not add words in if she is already struggling. 

I understand the visual thing. I can not take in information unless I am looking at it. 

Don't worry about a lesson a week. Maybe try something like:

Day 1 of new lesson give her the spelling cards and set the timer for 15 minutes. Let her look, write, do whatever she needs to absorb the information.

Day 2-whenever, set the timer and do 15 minutes a day of the lesson. If she hates the tiles use a dry erase pen or something. If she likes the tiles, one option is to use a baking tray and change the location of spelling. I found that when my daughter is struggling with something, she learns it better if we go crawl into my bed together and cuddle during the lesson.

Last day, test on just the words and don't add the sentences back in until she is feeling more positive about spelling.

I only have 4 teaching days a week. Here's what I do typically:

Day 1: introduce new concept, using the examples in the lesson. Then I give her words to spell. The number of words varies. I take the 10 spelling list words plus the extra practice words, and divide that # by 4 so that they're spread out over the week. So there might be 5 words. Then we do three phrases.

Days 2-4: 5 words (or whatever the # is), 3 phrases.

If I had 5 days, and if my child needed more actual instruction time, Day 1 would be devoted exclusively to teaching the concept and practice the new words with tiles.

I'm pretty lenient with the phrases, too. If dd writes one word and then needs reminding of what comes next, that's okay with me.