Menu

Any ideas for a fun geography and science co-op?

LauraJ

Any ideas for a fun geography and science curriculum for a hands-on co-op?  It would be for elementary age children?  I am looking at curriculum and have been searching on here for some ideas but have yet to find much.

Thank you!

I haven't used this but our co-op has done both Galloping the Globe and Cantering the Country (different years) for grades 1-3 geography

This year my kids are in an Animals and Their Habitats lapbook class (grades 1-3)

Next year they are offering a earth and space lapbook class and a human body class (grades 1-3). I did find a list of books and week by week breakdown for the human body class. http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/otters_science/science_human_body.html

We generally offer a class called "science fun" every year but are breaking from that last year. It is a hard age range because there is so much variation in abilities. Some can read, some can't. Some can cut. Some can't., etc.

We use a combination of Simply Charlotte Mason's Visits to Africa, living books, map drill, interesting things I find on the Internet, and this rap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl9e809Y8Ec. The rap artist has several other geography based songs, and they are very catchy!  We reduced the SCM resource to 24 weeks by eliminating some of the Make Your Own Map exercises and focusing on approx 2 countries each week. Usually I just highlight one of them more in depth. We learn a few lines of the rap each week. Hope that helps.