Menu

Quit Spelling SWO in favor of vocal or root study? (7th and 4th graders)

knit247

Spelling / vocab. question: we've used Spelling Workout from the start with my daughters (7th and 4th grade ages). Both are "natural spellers" and for the most part simply *tolerate* the SWO lessons. I wonder if I should have them finish the series (my oldest has just 1 book to go), or if there is some sort of vocabulary or root words program that would be of more benefit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am the type to just keep plugging along with what we have, but have this nagging feeling that we are wasting time by sticking with a formal spelling program...spelling

I am having this same conversation in my head about my rising fifth grader.  She's also a natural speller, and I think that I am going to switch her to a vocabulary/root word program.  Do you have any idea which vocabulary program you will be using?  I am looking for suggestions.

I am having this same conversation in my head about my rising fifth grader.  She's also a natural speller, and I think that I am going to switch her to a vocabulary/root word program.  Do you have any idea which vocabulary program you will be using?  I am looking for suggestions.

I do not, but am looking into it.   :001_smile:

I do not, but am looking into it.   :001_smile:

:-)  I am considering the original Wordly Wise series. 

Here is what my daughter's old school uses (Prestwick House Inc. - Growing your Vocabulary Learning from Latin and Greek roots):

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=lMc06fgtbUYC&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&authuser=0&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA8

My son is also a natural speller. This year I switched from AAS to R&S because AAS was just more instruction than he needed. R&S was a good change but even so, he still knows how to spell most everything and it still seems like a waste of time. So I've decided to drop spelling as a formal subject next year (5th). Instead, I'm going to become a super stickler about his spelling in all of his other schoolwork. If I find misspelled words, he will look them up in the dictionary and then copy them correctly ten times. That way, all of our "spelling time" will be focused entirely on words he has trouble with. My hope is also that he won't be lazy about looking up words he is unsure of on the front end, if he knows it will be more work later if he misspells it. Right now, since I'm always pressed for time, I usually just circle the misspelled words and make a list of the corrections on a post-it.