Menu

Landry Academy support class for Parents of Special Needs(CC)

I just thought I would pass this on in case anyone was interested.  Landry Academy runs "groups" for parents/adults each year.  Registration opened for this one today.  It is definitely a Christian group, but sounds as if it will offer good support for those who are like-minded or who are not offended by the content.  I have not experienced this group myself, but thought I would pass along the info. See details here.

The Psalm 139:14 Group

Special Needs

Membership Group for Homeschooling Families

Led by Jill Dubois

While friends and family may be the first to offer much-needed support in many ways, perhaps no one can extend emotional understanding, resources, and guidance as well as people who are in the same boat!

Imagine if…

• There was a place to connect with like-minded people to share struggles,

mountain-top experiences, day-to-day challenges, and unexpected joys?

• We could realize we are not isolated in our loneliness, fears, discouragements, and frustrations?

• We could feel comfort in an online-supported community that shared ideas, resources, and encouragement all year long?

• There was a place to seek out positive reinforcement to help keep a sense of

self-worth, confidence, and determination to keep going even when things

get tough?

You can stop imagining…and step into a REALITY!

Does Your Child...

- Struggle with staying on task?

- Have difficulty learning to read or comprehending what they read?

- Have difficulty remembering or understanding instructions?

- Have a specific learning disability or diagnosis (ADHD, Auditory Processing, Autism, Dysgraphia, Gifted, etc.)?

- Require significant modifications or extra time to be able to succeed academically?

The goal of this group is not to "label" or reduce your child to a list of symptoms. It is designed to encourage, provide parents with specific strategies that will support them in their daily homeschooling, and share resources that can help with identifying areas of need and targeted solutions. The emphasis is on helping homeschooling parents to look at their child's individual needs and work toward meeting those needs on a day-to-day basis.

Connect with Like-Minded People

Comfort in a Supportive Homeschool Community

When you first discover that your child had may display learning differences it may

be overwhelming. Your head spins, first with realizations and then with questions:

“Now it all makes sense,†quickly gives way to, “What next?†“Whom can I talk to

without being judged—or worse yet, without my child being judged?â€

Finding a place where you can speak freely, gather information, and touch base with others who have similar experiences can be a tremendous comfort.

Reaching out to others may help you feel less isolated, and provide guidance to  make the journey easier for you and your family. It can also give you the confidence to advocate for your child, and the  knowledge to make informed decisions throughout the process with encouragement and fresh hope.

Through our unique online membership community, homeschool families throughout the US have an opportunity to be a part of this Special Needs Community Group.

As a Member You Will Receive:

- Twice monthly exclusive, members-only webinars..

2nd Tuesday of every month at 11:00 am Eastern time

(you can attend live or watch recording anytime)

4th Tuesday of every month at 9:00 pm Eastern time

- Helpful tools, resources, etc.

- Guest speakers and access to industry experts

- Stories of encouragement & changed lives, from people just like you

- Online members-only discussion groups

- Family pages you can create if you'd like and gain ideas and inspiration from other's family pages

- The opportunity to build relationships and support with other homeschool families across the U.S.

Jill DuBois is a homeschool mom, wife, teacher, and student ministry Bible Study leader. A native Texan, Jill graduated from Liberty University in Virginia and has been married to Tim for 25 years. They reside in Clearwater, Florida with their son, Austin, and Peanut (one spoiled Yellow Lab!).

Jill began her adventure as an educator over ten years ago in the public school setting. She has modified curriculum and assessments to meet the needs of all levels of students. Through her experience as a classroom teacher, her education philosophy evolved as she grew to understand that each student exhibits a unique learning style that must be approached with patience and gentleness.

Her students had varying exceptionalities (from special learning needs to gifted)

that often required individually tailored instruction, creative objectivity, and accommodations in cntent. Jill took these traits to heart personally as well as

professionally as she ventured into the homeschool arena with her teenage son who had struggled academically since childhood in many different schools. He was consistently labeled as a "struggling learner".  Fostering his strengths and working through challenging times has brought great joy all around. She understands that the journey with a child that has special needs can be discouraging, frustrating, and heartbreaking. But she also faithfully believes there is HOPE. The key is to believe that you are your child’s best advocate to help

them live up to their potential and find success in life!

Jill’s passion is to share her resources and encouragement to help families gain understanding through this unique online group that will fuel self-confidence and promote success. Thankfully, we do not live in a “one-size-fits-all†world! She believes in taking every opportunity to instill the joy of learning in others.

Wherever you may be on your journey, come join us…

Membership is for a 1 Year Period

(begins June 1)

1 Year Membership is $190

55% Early Registration Discount Through Saturday, March 8

$85 ($190 minus 55% = $85)The Psalm 139:14 Group

Special Needs

Membership Group for Homeschooling Families

Led by Jill Dubois

While friends and family may be the first to offer much-needed support in many ways, perhaps no one can extend emotional understanding, resources, and guidance as well as people who are in the same boat!

Imagine if…

• There was a place to connect with like-minded people to share struggles,

mountain-top experiences, day-to-day challenges, and unexpected joys?

• We could realize we are not isolated in our loneliness, fears, discouragements, and frustrations?

• We could feel comfort in an online-supported community that shared ideas, resources, and encouragement all year long?

• There was a place to seek out positive reinforcement to help keep a sense of

self-worth, confidence, and determination to keep going even when things

get tough?

You can stop imagining…and step into a REALITY!

Does Your Child...

- Struggle with staying on task?

- Have difficulty learning to read or comprehending what they read?

- Have difficulty remembering or understanding instructions?

- Have a specific learning disability or diagnosis (ADHD, Auditory Processing, Autism, Dysgraphia, Gifted, etc.)?

- Require significant modifications or extra time to be able to succeed academically?

The goal of this group is not to "label" or reduce your child to a list of symptoms. It is designed to encourage, provide parents with specific strategies that will support them in their daily homeschooling, and share resources that can help with identifying areas of need and targeted solutions. The emphasis is on helping homeschooling parents to look at their child's individual needs and work toward meeting those needs on a day-to-day basis.

Connect with Like-Minded People

Comfort in a Supportive Homeschool Community

When you first discover that your child had may display learning differences it may

be overwhelming. Your head spins, first with realizations and then with questions:

“Now it all makes sense,†quickly gives way to, “What next?†“Whom can I talk to

without being judged—or worse yet, without my child being judged?â€

Finding a place where you can speak freely, gather information, and touch base with others who have similar experiences can be a tremendous comfort.

Reaching out to others may help you feel less isolated, and provide guidance to  make the journey easier for you and your family. It can also give you the confidence to advocate for your child, and the  knowledge to make informed decisions throughout the process with encouragement and fresh hope.

Through our unique online membership community, homeschool families throughout the US have an opportunity to be a part of this Special Needs Community Group.

As a Member You Will Receive:

- Twice monthly exclusive, members-only webinars..

2nd Tuesday of every month at 11:00 am Eastern time

4th Tuesday of every month at 9:00 pm Eastern time

- Helpful tools, resources, etc.

- Guest speakers and access to industry experts

- Stories of encouragement & changed lives, from people just like you

- Online members-only discussion groups

- Family pages you can create if you'd like and gain ideas and inspiration from other's family pages

- The opportunity to build relationships and support with other homeschool families across the U.S.

Jill DuBois is a homeschool mom, wife, teacher, and student ministry Bible Study leader. A native Texan, Jill graduated from Liberty University in Virginia and has been married to Tim for 25 years. They reside in Clearwater, Florida with their son, Austin, and Peanut (one spoiled Yellow Lab!).

Jill began her adventure as an educator over ten years ago in the public school setting. She has modified curriculum and assessments to meet the needs of all levels of students. Through her experience as a classroom teacher, her education philosophy evolved as she grew to understand that each student exhibits a unique learning style that must be approached with patience and gentleness.

Her students had varying exceptionalities (from special learning needs to gifted)

that often required individually tailored instruction, creative objectivity, and accommodations in cntent. Jill took these traits to heart personally as well as

professionally as she ventured into the homeschool arena with her teenage son who had struggled academically since childhood in many different schools. He was consistently labeled as a "struggling learner".  Fostering his strengths and working through challenging times has brought great joy all around. She understands that the journey with a child that has special needs can be discouraging, frustrating, and heartbreaking. But she also faithfully believes there is HOPE. The key is to believe that you are your child’s best advocate to help

them live up to their potential and find success in life!

Jill’s passion is to share her resources and encouragement to help families gain understanding through this unique online group that will fuel self-confidence and promote success. Thankfully, we do not live in a “one-size-fits-all†world! She believes in taking every opportunity to instill the joy of learning in others.

Wherever you may be on your journey, come join us…

Membership is for a 1 Year Period

(begins June 1)

1 Year Membership is $190

55% Early Registration Discount Through Saturday, March 8

$85 ($190 minus 55% = $85)

An alternate option would be pursuing sessions with a certified educational therapist.  Educational Therapy Defined - Association of Educational Therapists  I met one this past weekend after her lecture and was VERY impressed at their ability to take the information from the psych and apply it to the academic needs of the child.  She had perspective that went WAY beyond what you typically hear on the boards, and it makes me question the worth of paying for mother to mother support.  Might be better, especially by junior high and high school, to pay for someone who actually knows the psychology and brain function and development questions and where all these things are leading so she can guide you correctly.  I sorted out a bunch of things with her one hour lecture and a 10 minute chat afterward.  There's no way the woman leading this session is qualified to give serious help, and I think we have serious questions.  (How much xyz to require, how much to accommodate, how to deal with preferences, how to deal with xyz, why xyz is taking so long, etc.)  I'm telling you this certified ET's answers were SO much better than mother to mother support level stuff, I wouldn't pay money for less. Save your money and talk with someone who is actually qualified and has the knowledge of the brain to help you sort out your problems.

I'm sorry to be so opinionated on that and I didn't even want to say it.  Ignore if you wish.  I'm sure there's a market for the Landry group, but I'm equally sure it's the current fad for anybody and everybody to make a buck with online classes.  There's an actual qualification for people helping people like us, and it's called educational therapist.  This chick leading this support group isn't one.  

Now everybody else go and sign up for it.  :D

I'll try to see if they're uploading the video they made of that lecture.  It was quite good and got a lot of ideas going for me.  I had thought my options were: talk with the psych OR talk to moms.  What I found in the ET is this person who TOTALLY GETS learning and how you do it and how things break down and how to help these kids succeed, and the environment doesn't matter.  Homeschool, private, ps, she gets the concepts behind the learning.  And at least with this ET her specialty was gifted kids with EF issues.  I never even knew someone like this was out there.  I just assumed it would be telling you how to help Johnny read, elementary level, blah blah.  I had no clue there were people who do nothing all day but figure out how to help astonishingly bright kids with EF issues succeed in life.  We don't usually talk about ET's here on the board.  People have mentioned educational somethings, maybe educational psychologists?  The ET doesn't do testing.  They work with the psych and take all that info and knowledge of the brain and use it to help you solve your problems.  Take our spanish problems.  We've been spending an insane amount of time every day on spanish.  She talked about some things (initiation problems, sequencing, etc.), and I realized how those concepts applied to solving our problem.  It took us three hours, but we were able to quantify all dd's work, create a way to chunk it, and work through some of the things that were hindering her.  Just vague mother to mother support pep rallies about what program, use this, do that wouldn't have worked.  I actually needed someone to say THESE ARE THE THREE NEUROLOGICAL GLITCHES HOLDING YOU BACK, and these are the ways to bust through them.  That's an ET.

Whatever, not meaning to rip the Landry thing so hard, even though I am.  I'm sure everyone in it will be satisfied customers.  I just think some of those people are going to be ready to move on to an ET and get serious answers, even if it costs more $$.  Around here the certified ET costs the same price as the best autism psych in the city.   :svengo:   She's that good, and she's that worth it. 

MtnTeaching and OhE, thanks so much for both of these posts!  

My kids have done on-line classes with Landry and most of the people I have dealt with there have been loving and supportive and helpful.  Hanging out with other parents that are dealing with similar issues here on the LC board has been helpful, too.  I could see doing something similar through Landry could be very encouraging for parents needing to feel less alone and to have a  place to brainstorm ideas, etc. that is sort of protected (is not open to just anyone off the street).  It might feel safer.  $85 for the year doesn't sound too bad for that, either.  Not sure I would pay full price, but not everyone is comfortable posting here on WTM.  Having the Landry thing could be huge for many parents...

I agree, though, that finding an Educational Therapist might be REALLY beneficial for more concrete, experience and training based information.  Not everyone is going to have local access to someone like that, but I am going to see if there MIGHT be someone in our area...

This person was a classroom teacher with experience in working with learners from a variety of backgrounds etc.

The inclusion classroom teachers at my son's school are very good, and they have seen a lot.  I think they would be great.

I agree ----- it would not replace individual, specialized, professional advice.  

My son's classroom teacher last year..... some of you may remember that she wanted me to have him screened for ADHD and then he didn't have it etc etc.  Well ----- she was wrong about that, but she had some really good ways to work with him.  I found out from her some things that help him.  In particular ---- non-verbal cues and breaking assignments down into smaller sections.  She was like "well this is what I do with my students who have ADHD and it is also working with him" ---- and she was right, it does work with him.  His teacher this year is continuing with those things.  

But yeah, she was also wrong about him having ADHD, lol.  We got his OT results at that time and he started OT at the same time, it was one meeting where we got the results for both things. But still -- she is the one who tried some supports she knew about from her previous experience with students with ADHD and that is nothing I take lightly.  I have certainly shared things with teachers, but teachers also share things with me.   

So I agree but I think it also looks like a nice service and group.  I am interested and I feel like I have good information and services for my kids right now -- I feel like we are on the right track.  But still I don't feel like I know people locally who have a similar situation.  

And I think that classroom teachers who have been going to seminars, trainings, IEP meetings, and working with special education teachers on inclusion plans and writing lessons for a "universal design" classroom would be knowlegable and helpful, too.  

My son's school is the "autism" school for our district so there are teachers who are doing those things.  I am pretty impressed.  

I agree, though, that finding an Educational Therapist might be REALLY beneficial for more concrete, experience and training based information.  Not everyone is going to have local access to someone like that, but I am going to see if there MIGHT be someone in our area...

Absolutely.  I was totally blown away by what this woman could do and how she could break down a situation.  Lecka described the start of it, but she could actually get the terms right and differentiate it all out.  (initiation problem, is it neurological or anxiety, if it's neuro try these 5 things, if it's anxiety try this 4 things)  She also didn't mince words about anything and would challenge my ideas.  I love someone who will challenge me and call me wrong.  :)

But you're right that they're hard to find.  I think you can work by phone with them, maybe Skype?  I emailed the coordinator of that lecture last week, so we'll see if they're posting the video publicly.

And you know, that's a really good point that the *privacy* of the support with Landry would appeal to some people.   :thumbup1: