Menu

My daughters test scores through AimsWeb Testing

AimsWeb Testing:  http://www.aimsweb.com/products

Students in grades 2 and up took an assessment with me in February. Abbreviations are used for the assessment categories:

MAZE- Reading comprehension (4th grade and up,) three minute assessment

MCAP- Math (problems are weighted from 1-3 points)

RCBM- Oral reading/decoding (all grades,) words read correctly per minute

Your child’s results were:

Probe # Date    Score

MAZE 1 2014-02-12 14

MCAP 1 2014-02-12 11

RCBM 1 2014-02-12 153

So according to this my 4th grade is doing well decoding. However, reading comprehension is low Tier 2. Math score was low as well. Tier 3

The ES gave me the the scoring page to see how she was doing and that is how I knew whether the numbers were good or bad. 

Suggestions??????

We have used over the many years for her reading:

1) Phonics Pathways

2) Pathway Readers

3) Headsprout

4) Reading lots of books independently

5) WWE1-3, got a lot wrong for the reading comprehension part

6) FLL1-3

7) Jacob's ladder

8)Sopris West Rewards- doing this right now

9)All about Spelling

10) Reading Eggs

11) Story of the World-lots of narrations, asking her questions after reading but she still gets A LOT wrong

Math:

1) Teaching Textbooks

2)Saxon

3) Regular School textbooks

4) Singapore plus process skills and challenging word problems

Word problems are hard for her because of lack of reading comprehension. 

I guess I don't know what AimsWeb Testing is about, either. Was the testing done through the schools or on your own? If you had someone doing the test, I would ask for more information on interpreting the test. If you used an online service, email the testing company and request more information. 

It looks like you knew about the reading comprehension issue due to Story of the World and WWE. Can she answer questions about her preferences if you ask her? If you write something in a list (very brief), can she answer questions about that? Is it a volume of information issue? 

I just glanced -- the Tier 2 and Tier 3 stuff, does tie into RTI tiers.

RTI is something some school districts use.  It stands for "response to intervention."  It means -- they structure intervention services:  a classroom teacher teaches a Tier 1 curriculum.  If a student falls a little behind, they will receive small group or one-on-one help, in addition to there Tier 1 curriculum.  Often the Tier 2 will be tied-in to the Tier 1.  It is "extra, more" for kids who need something more.

Then Tier 3 is ---- they have gone hard-core, they are looking for an intervention program that is going to be VERY extra, more and it is going to be more time and it is probably going to be one-on-one.  

I don't waste my time with Tier 1 or Tier 2 reading programs when I look for my son ------ to some extent.  I know he is not going to learn from Tier 1 materials -- I know they will be too fast or expect too many "leaps" or not contain enough review or repetition for him ----- or something.  

I tried many Tier 1 programs (or at least several, lol) and they were all too hard for him.  They were all, on some level, intended for kids who would benefit from a faster, less repetitive program (not get bored, not waste their time, etc).  

So -- I do not know the details of all the programs you have used.  But if they are also used in a public school, they may be labelled with their Tier.  If they are not labelled and they are used in a public school, their default is Tier 1 (intended for a classroom).

Unless it is a real comprehensive program (which exist -- with separately written but complementary programs for aides or special education teachers to use with students needing Tier 3 materials) then I am suspicious of programs that are offering Tier 1,2, and 3 levels all at the same time.  I don't buy it.  I don't think they are going to be able to do Tier 3 well.

I know that Tier 2 is "in addition to" Tier 1 --- students get extra only, they are still getting the Tier 1 instruction also.  

For Tier 3 ---- I think sometimes they are in pull-out during Tier 1 instruction.  I am not sure.  

But ------- if you are seeing "Tier 3" in math, you might want to back up a lot, or look for a "Tier 3" math program.  I don't know what those are --- but they will either be something where people say it has worked with kids who have been behind and have a hard time, or they will actually say "Tier 3."  They may have a placement test and you go back to the place the placement test identifies.  

Tier 2 ---- I do not know as much about.  Maybe just more time.  But Tier 3 ---- definitely don't hold out high hopes for a Tier 1 program to work, just a general program for anyone to use -------- I do not hold out that hope, anyway.  I don't want to get burned again.  I want something that says "remedial" or "reluctant" or something -- then my son will do well and learn.  That is what I have found.  

I don't know programs specifically, though, to recommend.  I just have an opinion -- if she is identified as Tier 3 then Tier 1 is not going to work right now, most likely.

If you did send her to school ----- she would most likely get one-on-one or very small group math instruction.  You wouldn't have to worry about her going and sitting in a class and being behind.  Whether or not the intervention they use is good, or if the aides are nice, I don't know.  But the aides are very kind at our local school.  

I guess I have been in denial all these three years I have been homeschooling her. I have been using Tier 1 stuff thinking just giving her some time one to one time while homeschooling her would make a difference and being more consistent and more demanding. Maybe I should have just gone straight away to special needs stuff which is SO SO expensive! 

Her Star testing score did go up one year when using the schools Tier 2/3 materials so much that she tested out of RTI.

Just let you know ---this child was in school for two years for k and 1st grade. Then I took her home and homeschooling her. We go through a Charter school that gives us funds for curriculum and classes that we pick and choose ourselves or we can use what the school uses which I have never really done. The charter school just requires to do attendance and give samples about once a month but they do require us to do the annual state testing thing and they do their own in school assessment test which this year is these MAZE, MCAP or whatever they are called. 

Basically just show she has reading comprehension issues and math issues because  of the word problems. 

They use that Voyager Passport at my son's elementary school, kids either go early or stay after school.  My son is actually just starting to stay after school two days a week for math -- he is keeping up in class, but his math facts are still a major problem, and his teacher said it is worth trying to see if practicing with a computer program can help him.

Does the charter school give any guidance for programs?  

Read Naturally I have looked at for my son ----- I am 95% certain it is not a comprehension program.  It is more of a fluency program.  

I just glanced at the Read Naturally website, and they mention comprehension. BUT the blurb is about fluency.  The bottom half of the page is about fluency.  I looked at it for my son ---- it is a well-known fluency program.

So ---- it is a great program, but if you need a reading comprehension program, it is not primarily a reading comprehension program, imo.

I don't even think you can know for sure ----- that her problem is "reading comprehension" from the test results.  The test may not be meant to identify if there is an underlying factor in reading proficiency that is causing the comprehension problem downstream.

If there is someone at your charter school that could help you with a program ---- I think that would be great. 

Edit:  Well I looked out of curiousity -- there is a video for "read to understand" for Voyager Passport.  It is showing a teacher introducing a story and talking about vocabulary words.  Would you be able to be trained through the charter school?  Or get support in how to do it?  It looks like there is more to it than just sitting  kids on a computer (my impression) but it also says it recommend 18 hours of training or on-line training ---- and I do not know if that is a more user-friendly option for you or not.  

There are some things where ----- some kids are very "open and go" and people using a program don't have to worry too much about details of how you are teaching or how you are moving through the levels, or things like that.  

For my son -------- it is never that easy.  I need a lot of information on how to present things to him in the best way, or a scripted program that is really doable for me BUT also is going to go slow enough etc. for my son to have success.  

So -- I would want to hear that it was possible for a homeschool parent to use it who DID have a child who needed more help.... someone whose kids just breezed through ------ well that is fine for them, but it would not be an endorsement for me in my use with my son, if I do not think he will breeze through with no strain on me.  If that makes sense.  

I rule out problems if it looks like they are designed for someone who is getting training (on-the-job training, having a trainer come, getting sent to a conference, etc) that I am not going to have access to it --- b/c for some things, sure it is probably optional, but if it is a problem area for my son ------ then it is more necessary.  

For Rewards --- it is known more as a decoding program, for decoding multisyllabic words.  It has an extremely good reputation.  It is not primarily a reading comprehension program.

The vocabulary book -- I am not familiar with.  Vocabulary is important for reading comprehension, but a vocabulary program also is not a reading comprehension program.

The "read to understand" part of Voyager Passport looks like it is a reading comprehension program --- but I don't know if it is a best option or what any other options are.  

If you could find out ----- "her problems are based in a weakness in vocabulary" or "in fluency" or "in decoding multisyllable words" then it would make more sense!!!!  But if you are just looking at reading comprehension ---- they are not primarily reading comprehension programs (except I think the "read to understand" may be).  

If you go to readingrockets.org, then helping struggling readers, then target the problem ------ it has a little thing about different areas to target and possible ways to decide what area to target.  For comprehension it says "trouble summarizing what they have read."  Which sounds like your daughter?

But I think ---- if you have any options through your charter school, it would be really good to get some help in this area!!!!  It is not easy and if it a different focus that is needed, it may not be so helpful.  I think it can be hard to tell.  

But ---- if you think the problem is "trouble summarizing" ------- at a certain point, you want a program that is really aiming to help with that exact thing.

For math -- Saxon has a Tier 3 option.  It says it has extra this and that, and it is important to give a placement test and start at the proper level.  

Teaching Textbooks does not look like it is set up for Tiers (this is fine -- it is a public school thing, not every company is trying to sell to public schools).  

For regular math books -- they would be Tier 1.

For Singapore ---- my son does Math in Focus and I know they have Tier 1-3.  I don't think my son's school uses their program for Tier 3, I think they use it for Tier 1 and 2.  

For Tier 3 ---- a lot of times the teacher might be trying to specially pick a program they think the child has the best chance with.

My younger son is in this situation a little ---- he is using Reading Mastery and doing well --- in our district only special education teachers use it, though, and only with a few kids they think are "good candidates."  (There are reasons he is a good candidate ---- it is a possible program for autism, is the main reason, it is one of a few options for where he is right now.)    

Yes, I went to Reading Rockets last night while Hubbie took the kids out of the house so I could focus on all of this.

No my charter school just gives the money and tests and that is about it. 

Not much hand holding whatsoever. It can be good and bad. 

SO based on Reading Rockets: she needs vocabulary, fluency and reading comprehension. 

I think I might have to get three different things to do this right.  

Read Naturally for the fluency Part. They have a free demo/trial. Going to check it out. The lady who answered my call was nice. 

Sopris West Rewards for the decoding of large words/has some vocab in it.

Reading Comprehension--still researching that part.

Voyager Passport seems really expensive. Still trying to make some sense out of it. 

Math---ugh! I am thinking once she gets better Reading Comprehension we will have better luck. I am looking at the Catalog of Almaden Valley Christian School which has stuff specifically for special needs kids and trying to piecemeal stuff.

I am looking at EPS and they have a listing of the Tiering of all their products.

None of the Vocabulary is for Tier 3.

Megawords is Tier 3

SPIRE is Tier 3

Academy of Math is Tier 3

Starting Comprehension is Tier 3

How to Teach Spelling is Tier 3

Ok I dug around and found this very  recently updated info on our charter school website::

http://www.ieminc.org/handbook/curriculum/RTI/currhelpELA.htm

So I ordered Reasoning and Reading for her as well as the rest of Rewards program from Sopris West. 

I also got It's Elementary!

Working on getting her Megawords and The Paragraph Book. 

I am still looking into a vocabulary program. I have been looking at the stuff at High Noon Vocabulary but could not tell if it was just a bunch of worksheets or direct instruction with scripted discussions or what. 

I do like: 

• vocthrmor.jpg?sfvrsn=0
  • Author(s):  Susan M. Ebbers
    Grade Levels: 
    • 4-12

This newly revised word study resource teaches students the most common prefixes, suffixes, and roots and fosters a deeper understanding of the English language.

• mulmeavoc.jpg?sfvrsn=0
    • Grade Levels: 
      • 4-6

This easy-to-implement vocabulary-building program focuses on words with multiple meanings that can disrupt students' reading comprehension. The activities and word lists allow students to see firsthand how context influences word meaning and usage. In turn, this emphasis on multiple meanings increases reading comprehension. Level 1 focuses on two-meaning words and Level 2 on three- or four-meaning wor

and this one: 

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone: My daughter just had another AIMSWEB test and all her scores improved!!!!

So here is where I think the best help came from:

SOPRIS WEST REWARDS program. 

We did all of the intermediate book and started on Secondary and took a break for the summer. 

Over the summer she took this reading program: http://readingprograms.org/ for five weeks. 

In addition I did take her to get assessed to a vision therapist over the summer. All of her basic visual skills were all good. She also took some Motor Visual Integration Test, Motor coordination and visual perceptual test and Visagraph. She scored fine for visual motor integration and visual perception but low on motor coordination due to timing aspects. Issues with eye movement patterns and processing speed. She gave her some kind of glasses which helped her fluency a bit. 

She also started on Vocabulary Workshop a little. Too early to tell if this is having much of an effect. 

My daughter is now in TIER 1. So the combination of the three: Sopris, Reading program, and the glasses did the trick.