Menu

Science Topic Sequence for grades 6-8

If I were to use these Prentice Hall books for grades 6-8 and wanted to have an integrated science each year, could you help me decide which books to put together for each year??

http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?wcprefix=cgk&wcsuffix=9999&area=view

I know dd has asked to study Human Body for 6th grade.... Along with other life science topics, but I would rather not have a whole year of life science.

This year we are using Aplogia's Chem.& Physics.

I thought if we use these books we will throw in experiments, literature, and videos from Study Jam & Discovery Education. I'm not planning on scheduling anything, but maybe readers. We will just go through each explorer book at our own pace..... Thinking 3 books per year?

Suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

I am using the three integrated textbooks from 6th-8th grades.  They include a variety of the units so that different topics in life, earth, and physical science are covered each year.  This year my daughter chose four of the six units in the book...she reads the unit, then we find supplemental books to read on the topics that interested her the most.  The textbooks were really cheap on Amazon, and I also found the videos with the introductory and field trip videos (made by the Discovery Channel) and the videos of all the labs for dirt cheap.  She also does all of the labs that just use common household items.  Science is one of her favorite subjects this year :001_smile:

I am using the three integrated textbooks from 6th-8th grades. They include a variety of the units so that different topics in life, earth, and physical science are covered each year. This year my daughter chose four of the six units in the book...she reads the unit, then we find supplemental books to read on the topics that interested her the most. The textbooks were really cheap on Amazon, and I also found the videos with the introductory and field trip videos (made by the Discovery Channel) and the videos of all the labs for dirt cheap. She also does all of the labs that just use common household items. Science is one of her favorite subjects this year :001_smile:

I found & bought some of the Explorer books on WTM Classifieds today..... 5 different topic books for $18! I'll keep my eye out on Amazon for some more and for the lab videos. Did you just have her keep her own lab journal as she went through the books? Did she take notes throughout the book as well?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with these books!

I do not make her write up her labs; we just discuss it before and after.  She takes notes on the things that she finds interesting in the text, but that is it.  I bought the study guide for the textbook and thought it looked boring :blush: .  My goal in the middle years is exposure to a variety of science; the lab write-ups and vocab memorization and tests will wait for high school.  So far she has learned quite a bit just from reading and doing the labs; I don't want to ruin it for her by making it drudgery - and for her, forcing notes or study guides or tests would be drudgery.