Menu

Best Italian Grammar?

Guest 1972booklover

Guest 1972booklover

This coming year my kids will be in K, 7th, 8th and 9th grades.  The youngest has some Little Pim dvd's and a "Baby Italian" dvd that she watches and the other three are doing Rosetta Stone along with some Pimsleur.  We're also going to use Duolingo online as well.  My concern is that they get a good foundation in grammar and I know Rosetta stone is weak in that area.  What is the best way to give them a great foundation in grammar? 

For background, my husband lived in Sicily for 3 years while in the military, and we had planned to go there as missionaries, but the Lord hasn't opened the door yet.  Neither of us are fluent in Italian (though my husband has more experience than me from living out in the town instead of on base), but are learning alongside the girls.  Thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...

Your junior high / high school kids could probably do Prego. I think it's geared at older students, but it moves slowly and has a teacher's edition, and there is a lab portion that you may not need if you stick with Rosetta Stone but it reinforces the chapter work. We used Prego to teach 1st year of Italian at the college I taught at, but it's not complex. Da Capo is the 2nd year level of that series.

I also think Barron's Painless Italian is pretty decent for junior high level, but it may be because I'm teaching with it and I already know the language. I don't know how effective it would be at teaching yourself. Perhaps decent once you've mastered pronunciation via Rosetta Stone. It's one of the better ones I've found.  Get a good verb workbook and practice at conjugating, it's a drill and kill skill, IMO.

Stick with Rosetta Stone. It's great for pronunciation and vocab.

I don't check here often, but I do speak Italian, have taught Italian at the university level, and I'm currently teaching 6th and 8th graders, so if you have questions you're welcome to email me where I am more likely to find your comment:     darcy    at     my3boybarians.com

In bocca a lupo!