Menu

What was your biggest curriculum mistake?

Queserasera

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grammar Island.

There could be more...I'll have to think about it.  But that one comes to mind immediately.

ETA: Thought of more....Soaring with Spelling, How to Teach Spelling, several things I've gotten from Queen's (umm....why did I keep thinking the next time I tried them it would be better!), History Odyssey (tried it two years in a row....when will I ever learn??), and....*gasp*...FLL & WWE.

Again, I'm sure there's more...

ETA, again: yep, there's more.  LOE (I had gotten everything...and I mean *everything* which equals BIG $$$), Nancy Larson Science...

WARNING: MEGA THREAD AHEAD!!!! :p

Hmmm... something I really hated. Classical Comp. I mean how much more convoluted and confusing and 'huh?' can ya get? It is writing, not rocket science, for goodness sake!

WARNING: MEGA THREAD AHEAD!!!! :p

Hmmm... something I really hated. Classcial Comp. I mean how much more convoluted and confusing and 'huh?' can ya get? It is writing, not rocket science, for goodness sake!

Yeah. I added to my favorites bar so I can go through it in a month when it's finished.

Spelling Power and Big Book of Lively Latin weren't for us.  Another mistake for me was not going with Apologia Science from the start.  I've spent thousands on science curriculums over the past 4 years and have never been happy with anything...until Apologia.  I still don't know why I resisted it for so long.  My kids love it. 

Growing With Grammar. Only thing I ever just plain quit.

But I am sure there will be 50 people saying they loathed something I love, so I don't know that my opinion about GWG should matter much to anyone else.

Nah, I think that one gets the thumbs down from at least 99% of people.

A Living History of Our World - I pre-read it and found it so patronizing I knew I wasn't going to be able to use it. I returned it. It's probably the only thing I've straight-up returned rather than tried to resell after hanging onto in hopes of adapting it because I hated it so much. 

Imitation in Writing (Or, as I just accidentally tried to type, Imitation in Writhing. Seems more fitting for our house. SO painful to use.)

Winning with Writing - same issues as others had with GWG. Zero retention. Too formulaic. 

MUS, although I think it is a great program. It just really irritated and frustrated my kiddos.

Trail Guides to Learning.  LOVED the idea AND the execution....but sadly my dc found that reading too many books at once was confusing and frustrating....

Zaner-Bloser spelling books.  Ugh!  NO!  Just NO!  I am great at spelling and they confused even me!  I loved the layout, I loved the lesson structure, I loved the explanations, but the word group choices themselves just were plain AWFUL for my family.  Very, very confusing.

Jump Math..

this was it for us too!  Most things I buy I can see value in, even if they didn't work for us specifically...but Jump Math...I just wish we could get back the time we put into it.  I feel like we threw away the two years we spent on it. 

Audiomemory world geography. The songs are neither catchy nor name countries in geographical order (such as west to east), and I could've just printed out blackline maps from the internet for free. The only region he knows really well is Central America, for which I made up our own song.

I'm sure there will be others!

Classical Writing Aesop - they couldn't possibly make a more difficult method of teaching writing

Spanish for Children - lessons were sometimes unclear, the CD didn't contain all the words/phrases for the lessons so we couldn't learn how to pronounce everything, very disjointed approach to teaching a language

Math Mammoth - concepts were either overexplained or skipped over, tried to just use select pages for supplementation but half of them would print as a blank page

Pretty much every spelling program we tried before Apples and Pears

A spur of the moment phonics program that I dropped $200 on at a homeschool convention five years ago.

Math-U-See Primer....just ugh.

TOG......at least for the lower grammar stages. Too much. Too much. Too much.

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons ~ the only thing in 13 years of homeschooling to bring my son to tears.

Secondary to that - SOS in it's early years and Teaching Textbooks. Both of my children begged me to get rid of these programs. 

Apologia Elementary Chemistry and Physics

My co-op chose it and didn't have a choice. I had never used her books before this one, so I don't know if I'd feel the same about others. My biggest problem was that it was written to read as if you were doing every single experiment in the book right then, even though there were 10-12 experiments in some chapters. Her restating examples over and over was difficult, too.

I really wish I had not purchased Mystery of History. History is our trouble area. I don't like any program we have tried, yet, but at least History Odyssey doesn't make me cringe the way MOH does. I also hated Singapore Math. Oddly, we like GWG. It is easy and fast and dd is retaining, but she did MCT Town level in the first semester so I don't know which program to truly credit.

Right Start Math- this is the only thing that was not a good fit at all.

There have been others that I just did not care for:

FLL/WWE- bought and sold these twice!

Happy Phonics

Horizons Math

Rod and staff english(though I like the spelling)

AAS

I am too embarrassed to list anymore!

We've had a few losers, and a few things that just weren't right for us, but the worst ever is No More "I'm Done!".

I love the concept of a writer's workshop, but cheese and crackers, the educationese is so thick in this book, I have a headache every time I pick it up. It's so hard to follow, I cannot teach my children from this book for fear they will learn to write like the author. 

There is some helpful information in there somewhere. I'm slowly picking it out, but it is painful.

Other fails for us:

Singapore science. I was so disappointed.

Imitations in Writing. Why did none of you warn me?

Sequential Spelling. Useless.

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings:  If I had been less rigid about using it as written, we probably would have done better.

Jacobs Geometry (third edition):  I tried this book with the older one and we had to jump to TT two chapters in.  I really wanted to like it though (I *love* Jacob's Algebra), so I'm using it this year with the younger one along with Derek Owens.  I *still* hate it.  It makes everything so complicated.  The second edition is much, much better.

Both Aventa and Apex AP Physics B:  If I had wanted him to self study with a book, I wouldn't have purchased the course.  Both courses were simply the book on the screen (with terrible formatting at that).

I'm sure there are others.

Hmmmm, I don't know that we've actually stuck with anything we didn't like long enough to hate it.

FLL 4 came close.  Other things that didn't work for us were TT, Spelling Workout, Writing Strands, and WWS (as written).  But hate?  I don't think I've passionately hated anything yet.

In terms of money, definitely ETC Online.  It was such a waste.  Such a terribly designed program for young children.  We've bought several things that haven't worked out, but I couldn't resell that and it wasn't cheap.

In terms of time, we've done several programs that didn't turn out to be for us, but usually we move on quickly or we get something out of it.  But the worst may actually be ETC workbooks.  They basically worked for one of my boys - the one who read on the early side but needed help firming up his phonics knowledge, but now that we're several years down the road, I can see that they didn't do anything for my other ds.  And considering how much time he spent on them I feel like it was probably time poorly spent.