Menu

UPDATED: Rotary Club--What does one wear to a luncheon? What do they do? Help.

Harriet Vane

Dd won a Rotary Club scholarship. (Yes, we're bursting with pride.) She is expected to attend a luncheon on Monday.

What does dd wear? 

What do I wear?

Leave ds at home or bring him with?

What do they do at a RC luncheon?

The Rotary Club rep at the award ceremony made it sound like we would have continued involvement with the Rotary Club. We are confused and very unfamiliar with what RCs do and how they work. Tell me all about Rotary Club stuff as we are clueless.

Dd has a chance to try for the same scholarship next year, so we'd like to learn more.

Thanks!

Edited to add:

Thanks for the tips and replies.

My daughter is unsure about the following outfit options:

--Suit: black pants, blue silky collared shirt, pinstripe suit jacket

--Black pants and dressy sweater, could possibly add a scarf

--Dress of some sort. Most of her dresses have short sleeves and are quite summery, but she could throw on a jacket or sweater.

Dd won a Rotary Club scholarship. (Yes, we're bursting with pride.) She is expected to attend a luncheon on Monday.

Congratulations!

What does dd wear? 

Probably skirt/slacks or dress slacks/dress shirt or business/professional dress. At dh's Rotary meetings, most men were in coats and ties and the women also dressed professionally and accordingly.

What do I wear?

Same as above. 

Leave ds at home or bring him with?

I would leave ds at home unless they have specifically invited your family.  What does the invitation say?

What do they do at a RC luncheon?

There is a program with announcements and a speaker -- likely someone from the community that can talk about an issue of interest to the group. 

The Rotary Club rep at the award ceremony made it sound like we would have continued involvement with the Rotary Club. We are confused and very unfamiliar with what RCs do and how they work. Tell me all about Rotary Club stuff as we are clueless.

Rotary is a service organization made up of businessmen/women and professionals in the community that generally come together to network and promote causes within their community. 

Dd has a chance to try for the same scholarship next year, so we'd like to learn more.

Thanks!

Oldest won a scholarship and I was also a rotary scholar back in the day. Rotary is an organization of professionals in various fields who meet monthly at lunch time, in addition to other events and activities. Each month features a program or guest speaker and some brief chapter business.

The invitation is most likely for your son and his parents only, but you should have the contact name of someone if you want to clarify that. Most of the members are coming out to lunch during their business day, so professional attire or even business casual would be appropriate (seems like most places have employees dress business casual these days). No jeans or sneakers but suit not required for you or dh. Your son, on the other hand, should wear a suit or at least a shirt with tie and dress slacks and dress shoes since he is receiving an award. Rotary is very good about having photos from such events published in the local newspaper so you want your son to look nice and professional.

Rotary differs from many of the other service organizations in that you have to be a successful businessman/woman in order to join. Anyone can be in the Lions' Club or Kiwanis or Elks, but Rotary membership is limited to "business leaders" and selection can be snotty & political depending on the leadership of the particular chapter (the one in my hometown was notorious for that). So I would err on the side of overdressing rather than going more casual.

Rotary differs from many of the other service organizations in that you have to be a successful businessman/woman in order to join. Anyone can be in the Lions' Club or Kiwanis or Elks, but Rotary membership is limited to "business leaders" and selection can be snotty & political depending on the leadership of the particular chapter (the one in my hometown was notorious for that). So I would err on the side of overdressing rather than going more casual.

This must vary geographically. Here the civic clubs have so low membership that pretty much everyone who wants to actively participate in the group is welcome. The snotty people stick to the many country clubs and the kids private, travel sports teams, which is where things really get political!

Thanks for the tips and replies.

My daughter is unsure about the following outfit options:

--Suit: black pants, blue silky collared shirt, pinstripe suit jacket

--Black pants and dressy sweater, could possibly add a scarf

--Dress of some sort. Most of her dresses have short sleeves and are quite summery, but she could throw on a jacket or sweater.

I would go with the first outfit since it is professional attire, or the dress since everyone understands she is a high school student.

As Margaret said, Rotary chapters want their membership to represent varying professions and I have heard that they limit it to one person from any given profession (as described above). To clarify, *you* won't have to pay if they put your daughter's pic in the paper.

Harriet, tell your daughter not to worry or stress out. I spoke before more than two dozen rotary chapters following my participation in one of their programs. They are very welcoming and encouraging to students.

• 2 weeks later...