Menu

Huntington-Ashland-Ironton

Jill

My husband will be a first year med student at Marshall this fall. I expect to continue to homeschool our 12 year old son as I have for the last several years. Since it's a completely new area for me, I'm looking to make a few connections. anyone?  :)

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the area!  I'm fairly new to the area, too, but have discovered a few groups, though have not been able to participate because of schedule issues.   In Huntington, there is  a co-op called HiM, an active teen social group called HAT, and a group called Tri-State Homeschoolers. There is also a field trip group, but I'm not sure what it is called. Someone from one of these other groups can link you into that page.  These all have facebook pages. One, or maybe more, of them schedule park days and other activities regularly. There are also  Classical Conversations communities in Barboursville, Huntington, and Ashland, though not sure what levels at which campus'.  We are between Huntington and Charleston, but if we were closer to Ashland, I'd join the Community Bible Study group there in heartbeat (they have excellent homeschool classes that mirror what parents are studying at an age appropriate level).  That may not be your thing, but if so, the CBS website has the details on time and meeting place.  There is probably more, but that's what I've found in the last few months.    Which part of the area have you moved into? 

• 2 months later...

Thank you, jetzmama!

I didn't check this thread for a while as we packed and moved. We are in the Barboursville area now and will be in Huntington proper hopefully in a month or two. That will be more convenient for my husband so we'll get to se him just that little bit more. Thanks for the tips - :)

• 2 months later...

Just now checking in. Don't visit WTM often, usually just when I need to bounce some ideas around some other hs veterans.  Have you been able to plug into a group? locally?  We are in Milton and on rare occasion are able to join some of the HAT activities.  I have a 10th grader in a b&m school this year and my others are part of the CC group in Winfield on Fridays, so we just can't fit in most of the social activities offered.  We're a couple of miles from CMHS, so pretty close to you.