Menu

Golden retriever not doing well: update!!!!!

HollyDay

My beloved 14 year old Golden is not doing well.  I took him to the vet this morning.  The vet said we will be making some tough choices this week.  We plan to bring him home late today but it might be for a very short time and for the last time.  This came on suddenly.   Just a couple days ago, we were walking him around the neighborhood and he was playing with his squeeky toy.  Words can't describe how upset I am.  He has enjoyed a good life.  2 years ago when we were seeing our family vet prior to moving out of state, he said it was amazing that our doggie was in such good health and condition for his age.  The children can't imagine life without him since he has been there for most (all in 1 case) of their lives.  He has been my friend, my comfort, my companion through thick and thin.  How on earth will I be able to tell him goodbye??

update #22

One of the medications made him really, really loopy and the Vet said not to use it again.  Tomorrow he goes back to the Vet for bloodwork.  While the other 2 drugs have helped, there is still major concern about his enlarged liver.  The drug that we had to stop is metabolized by the liver so that raises some concern as well. 

I've spoken with the Vet daily. This morning the tech said they are amazed he is still with us.  He was not in good shape on Monday.  But, he ate really well yesterday and today (cooked ground turkey and rice).  He has been up and about more the last 2 days as well.  So, I drop him off at the vet tomorrow for bloodwork and a general checkup.  I do NOT want to leave him there.  But, they said they want to observe him for about 2 hours and get the results back.  He has to be fasting so they are going to draw blood first thing, let him eat (I bring his food and medicine) then labs again.

The Vet is still saying none of this is good, he will be 14 in June afterall.  But, he looks so much better!  I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I can't imagine life without him.  He has been my companion from middle of the night feedings of babies to chasing toddlers to swimming with tweens and teenagers.  I still remember rocking my baby with my golden curled up on the ottoman.  When dh would travel, my golden would sleep at the foot of the bed.  Whenever anyone was sick, hurt, or upset, he was right there, laying his head in a lap or pressing a paw on someone's knee.  When my father died 2 years ago, he would sit beside me and keep contact with me.  Just his being there has always been so comforting.  I could go on and on about games of fetch, swimming, running, walking, etc.