Menu

This weekend, everyone rallied around my baby sister...

AimeeM

For those familiar with my past threads on it (sister, BIL, DV situation). This weekend was my niece's 7th birthday. Family came in from several states - grandparents, her great grandmother, aunts, cousins, etc. Everyone pitched into buy DN's ultimate birthday wish list items - those who could purchased food for the party, others helped man the grill.

I felt sick when I saw the bedroom door that BIL broke in half with the hatchet - my little niece's bedroom door. It was in the driveway for trash pick up.

I hugged my childhood best friend. I thanked him for being there, literally, and for saving their lives. I'll never shake my head and call him a mooch again. Everyone has different qualities - he may be a bit of a mooch financially and lacking career ambition, but until recently, I forgot what a genuinely great, loyal guy he is. He always has been great - I just got caught up, I guess, in what adults *should do* with their lives. I haven't hugged him that long or that hard in many years.

BIL called to sing happy birthday to DN when everyone else had moved outside after the party. He sang it in front of his fellow inmates - and he cried. He's in the psych ward right now, but going to be moved to general population soon, I hear. He's medicated again, and sober.

My sister looks so thin. She looks so tired. I'm trying to get her and the kids up here, to me, later in the spring, so I can treat them to a weekend out - the children's museum, the zoo, have my sitter stay with all the kids for an evening and just take her to dinner, maybe a movie - just me and her (we can never seem to be alone these days). She didn't have a valentine's day treat and her birthday is coming up.

... and I'll probably get a call from DD's teacher today, as she didn't finish the 11 page take home social studies test. We had more important things to do.

I'm glad she has so much support! How on earth is he allowed to contact them though? That's traumatic on top of everything else. :(

I have absolutely no idea, especially since the children were named in the charges and that the children witnessed the attacked incurred even more charges.