Menu

What should I do after Singapore math?

Selena

My 12 y.o. dd just completed Singapore 6B and I started her on Art of Problem Solving math. Whew! TOO INTENSE! She doesn't want to pursue math as a career or even in math competitions. She will likely use business math as an adult...she will have successful entrepreneurial businesses! That's just the way she's wired! But they'll be directed toward fashion or baking or salons...not math!

What math should we do now? We are at pre-algebra stage, but she doesn't need over-the-top mind blowing math. Really she needs something she can do independently, preferably on the computer or at least after watching a video teaching about it. Recommendations? For high school, I expect that she will do all college prep, so I'd like her to continue preparing for Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, and I suppose, Trig or whatever is next.

Thanks in advance!

I have not used this myself, but Teaching Textbooks is often used by people with similar goals.  Have you looked at that? 

If it didn't need to be independent I'd suggest continuing her with a secondary program from Singapore Math.  Their Discovering Maths is quite good. 

ETA: After sleeping on it, MathUSee comes to mind.  I've used that through algebra, and found it to be a solid maths education.  The DVDs can be used by the student as instruction, and the customer support has always been very helpful RE math-teaching problems when I've had them.  I think MUS might be a stronger choice, mathematically, than Teaching Textbooks; and also they have an honors option on their courses, with questions involving real-life applications of math that are (from what I've seen) very business-oriented in content, which might appeal to her and also be practical.

If she is on the college prep sequence, I would look into Chalkdust or the knockoff version that uses this DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Houghton-Mifflin-Mathematics-Instructional-Series/dp/0618388419/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BASTC73AC13EMPGEGGG

I have the Larson "Beginning Algebra" book that is used by CD and really like it. I am using it to add review to Singapore Discovering Math but it is solid in itself.

Another option to look into is Stanford EPGY Open Enrollment, which use the Lial books. That only goes up through geometry (higher level courses are offered through regular EPGY but they are pricier and you have to apply to the program).

I think MUS might be a stronger choice, mathematically, than Teaching Textbooks

FWIW, my understanding is that they both have a reputation for being on the lighter side for secondary math.  (eta, another option:  there are some posters who use MUS algebra 1 as a pre-algebra)

OP, assuming you don't want to teach secondary math yourself, besides Chalkdust, you might also look into on-line classes such as TabletClass or Derek Owens, etc.  There should be threads discussing such choices - check and/or ask on the high school board and the logic board.

This is what I have in my notes for curriculum to consider under math after Singapore 6:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/464336-after-singapore-6b-where-to

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/197296-compare-jacobs-lial-foerster-tt-math/

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/8797-where-can-i-seefind-more-info-on-lials-with-the-dvts/

Lial (all have DVT [video support] except Geometry) after Singapore 6B:

Pre-Algebra: Lial Basic College Math 7th Ed. (or Pre-Algebra)[NOTE: can use BCM and then Pre-Algebra to increase time before hitting Algebra]

Algebra I: Lial Introductory Algebra 8th Ed. (or Beginning Algebra)

Geometry: Lial Essentials of Geometry for College Students (or Harold Jacobs Geometry 2nd Ed. or Holt 2007 Geometry with teacher support CD)

Algebra II: Lial Intermediate Algebra 8th Ed.

Pre-Calculus: Lial A Graphical Approach to Precalculus (or Lial College Algebra + Trigonometry)