Menu

One Spelling to Rule them All...

Gil

It has been decided that we could benefit from a spelling book. The boys are pretty good spellers anyway, but I'd like a nice reference book that can be used for multiple ages/stages. It doesn't have to be "fun" or anything like that. Bells and whistles usually just get in our way.

I've looked at Spalding and nixed it because I don't want to start at square one--we are fluent readers and good spellers already. I don't have any interest in phonograms and I think that Pal would go into conniptions if he had to learn "letters and sounds".

We do just fine with a quality no-nonsense text, pen(cil) and paper.

Is there one of these for spelling? If it went K-8 or beyond, that'd be great.

How To Teach Spelling's teacher manual has lists that go from 1st-12th in a single book for about $30. Spelling is taught through dictation though, so it requires direct teacher involvement. First there are lists, then phrases, then sentences, repeat. The later sentences spiral in the words form earlier lists.

It can be confusing near the beginning of the book, but it you just started further in past the phonograms, etc, it should be very self-explanatory.

Spelling Power. It's one big book that can be used through all spelling levels. You give them a placement test and then start at that level they test into. I put the words my kids miss on the free Spelling City app and they practice on there. We review and retest until they remember them and then move on. This is for my strong spellers, I don't use this program for my struggling speller. The book is something like $70, but you can probably find it used here or on homeschool classifieds.

ETA: The ABCs and All Their Tricks is a good reference book for spelling. I use that to review a rule when they get a word wrong in Spelling Power.

Sequential is my vote. Bells and whistle free and surprisingly effective. There's a sample on the avco website and you don't need the student book. Only takes five or ten minutes. Easy breezy and my daughter doesn't even have time to complain.

We use Sequential spelling. 

Every day is a list of 25 related words. The lists come in groups of 4. So one day you might have the words, "end, friend, bend, tend" the next day, "ends, friends, bends, tends" then "ending, befriend, bending, tending" ....

The spelling book also talks about homophones. This week he had the word "cite" on his list. They also discussed the words, "site" and "sight". I draw a very small picture at the top of his paper and write the proper word underneath. 

For example:

A picture of a judge with the word "cite" 

A few wavy lines for water and a sun for "sight"

A bunch of scribbles and a sign that says "construction" for "site".

You don't need the studentworkbook. We take one page of a notebook and divide it in 4. After Eldest spells the 25 words I give him one extra word related to us directly such as, "Our street name, Gramma's name, Province name" and repeat that word till he has it down and sometimes throw in other words that I think he needs practice on. 

Then on the little bit unused paper at the bottom he writes one sentence in cursive.

Ta-da. Spelling is done, as well as a cursive writing review all in hopefully 10 to 15 minutes. 

Spelling Power. It's one big book that can be used through all spelling levels. You give them a placement test and then start at that level they test into. I put the words my kids miss on the free Spelling City app and they practice on there. We review and retest until they remember them and then move on. This is for my strong spellers, I don't use this program for my struggling speller. The book is something like $70, but you can probably find it used here or on homeschool classifieds.

ETA: The ABCs and All Their Tricks is a good reference book for spelling. I use that to review a rule when they get a word wrong in Spelling Power.

i find them used all the time for $5 or less

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I'm so bad about follow-up. I guess its out-of-sight-out-of-mind or something. Anyway, thank you all for the responces. I'm going to look into a good reference book. Spelling Power sounds like its right up our alley.

Thank you all for your replies.