Menu

SAT/ACT in 7th and 8th: via talent search or on your own

J'etudie

Ds is currently enrolled in Duke TIP's 4th-6th Talent Search and will need new test scores to continue in the program. I'm not sure Duke's program is the best for him due to location, etc. I've researched other talent searches but am undecided which would be best.

Would it be better to have him take the SAT/ACT independently and then apply to whichever programs best align with his goals and abilities?

Or is there a compelling reason to enroll with a particular talent search before taking the SAT/ACT?

TIA

Ds is currently enrolled in Duke TIP's 4th-6th Talent Search and will need new test scores to continue in the program. I'm not sure Duke's program is the best for him due to location, etc. I've researched other talent searches but am undecided which would be best.

Would it be better to have him take the SAT/ACT independently and then apply to whichever programs best align with his goals and abilities?

Or is there a compelling reason to enroll with a particular talent search before taking the SAT/ACT?

TIA

It is cheaper to sign up independently, and all of the Talent Searches will accept those scores.  The Talent Searches do provide stats of the talent search participants, but I didn't think that information was worth the extra cost. 

• Like 1

Forgive me if I have misunderstood posts from the pasts on this issue. What I understand is that going with a talent search for kids under 13 can be helpful due to the detailed score reports. You can't access those reports online on the CB site. Does CB mail detailed score reports for under 13yos who took SAT outside the talent search?

Forgive me if I have misunderstood posts from the pasts on this issue. What I understand is that going with a talent search for kids under 13 can be helpful due to the detailed score reports. You can't access those reports online on the CB site. Does CB mail detailed score reports for under 13yos who took SAT outside the talent search?

I don't think the detailed score reports can be accessed on the CB site, but I am not 100% sure.  They might be able to be accessed on the Talent Search websites, but I have never looked for them.  My oldest son took the SAT through a Talent Search because I didn't realize I could simply sign him up myself.  I received a very detailed score report, but I really didn't find it particularly useful.

I have not received a detailed score report when I have signed the kids up myself for the SAT. 

• Like 1

One thing to consider is if your child is likely to be top scorer whether your student wishes to receive awards or be eligible for scholarships. I'm not sure this is still the current policy but we found Duke was unwilling to accept scores taken outside of talent search for scholarship purposes. JHU was glad to accept SAT scores for SET that were taken separate from talent search though.

• Like 2

I read through the archives on this subject, and it seemed testing via a talent search meant some dc were able to test with their age peers and others weren't. So if that isn't a sure thing, the difference seems to be the stat reports and possible award ceremonies/scholarships.

Thanks for helping me sort things out!

Maybe I'm missing something. What is the detailed report?

I was referring to number 7 here. Reports from talent searches might be in a different format, and also differ in coverage/ analysis. I'm not sure what the differences are between different talent search (and CB) score reports but I thought it will be helpful to at least be able to see DS's SAT essay.

• Like 1

I was referring to number 7 here. Reports from talent searches might be in a different format, and also differ in coverage/ analysis. I'm not sure what the differences are between different talent search (and CB) score reports but I thought it will be helpful to at least be able to see DS's SAT essay.

quark, for those under 13, one can request a copy of the essay even if you're not with talent search by writing to CB: The College Board, PO Box 234112, New York, NY 10023

See here.

• Like 2

Has anyone registered their DC to take the ACT or SAT younger than talent search offers it, to help prove readiness for college classes or just because of wanting a higher level, more challenging test than the EXPLORE?

Yes and it was helpful. As you may know the SAT doesn't allow online registration under age 13, but if you call they'll talk you through it. Sometimes the ACT can be an easier entry point for younger students though because the test is a little shorter and the essay is optional. If you are just trying to get a ballpark if it is something to consider you could always try a sample test at home before registering for a formal test. Of course for younger ones, attention span and frustration tolerance can be as challenging as the content and you want to tread carefully so the child doesn't get overwhelmed. Some kids aren't bothered a bit by testing with much older students but it can be an overwhelming experience for others.

• Like 1

She's done quite well on ACT practice tests. I suspect she may well get to the point the EXPLORE isn't all that useful before 7th grade, and, especially with her starting to find college classes that are interesting to her, that the scores may be useful to provide access.

I agree that if you are testing for usefulness apart from talent searches, the EXPLORE in 6th probably won't be all that informative. There's a good possibility it will get to that point well before 6th. (Your dd might already be there.) We weren't testing for information purposes or early college admission (we've chosen a different route), so we just stuck to the typical talent search requirements.

Lily did well with the ACT length and testing with older students in 7th. Part of me wonders how well she would have done earlier. It would have been interesting to see the scores.

I'm curious to see what everyone decides!

• Like 1

NUMATS offers the SAT in 6th, which is why we've registered through them. They might be willing to register a student before 6th if the EXPLORE scores indicated it would be appropriate (we didn't try because DD's asynchrony between verbal & math would've made the math portion too frustrating for her, even if the verbal portions would've been fine). I'm still getting grumbles out of her that there's math on the SAT practice tests she doesn't know how to do yet. However, by this point at least she's seen enough of the algebra and geometry through Singapore DM to not completely freak out about it.

ETA: The reason we chose the SAT over the ACT is because CTY only looks at the SAT scores for their SET program. The CB had originally been planning on revamping the SAT to make it reflect Common Core in 2015. I wanted to get a verbal score on file for DD under the current format in case she did better on that than the new CC version. After we registered, CB announced that they were delaying the CC version until 2016, so it became moot. But then DD started talking about wanting to take American Sign Language at community college next fall, so I'm glad we will have SAT scores to help with the special admissions process for students under 10th grade.

I figure we need to do the SAT once when she's potentially eligible for SET, but that if she ends up testing next year as a very young 5th grader, the ACT is going to be closer to what she's used to. And the ACT is more used by colleges here than the SAT as well.

Her biggest fear is the writing section-on either test.

The ACT makes the essay portion optional. The SAT requires the student to complete it, but it only counts something like 30% towards the overall writing score, and the talent search providers don't even look at the writing score at all. I haven't been having DD practice that section at all, though we did briefly discuss strategies for tackling it.

The only reason the CB won't let you sign up online for kids under 13 is because of online privacy laws.  I just fudged my kids' birth years so I could sign up online and get the complete report, then I corrected it after they were 13.  I wasn't interested in Talent Search but wanted them to have SAT practice off the record.

I will probably have my DD do some of the SAT subject tests as she completed high school subjects as end of course exams to validate her transcript and to show completion should she decide to go back to PS at some point so she can get placement out of those classes (without having to take their EOC exam for a course that she may well have done several years before). Some competitive colleges want SAT subject test scores as well. My impressions from hanging out on the high school board is that this is pretty common for homeschoolers with college bound students, especially if they're aiming for DE or early entry.

• Like 1

I was curious if any of you have your kids take the specific subject tests or if you just do the overall.

DS is planning to take either one or two subject tests in either May or June. He has completed an equivalent level of study in these subjects over the last 1.5-2 years.

• Like 2

DS is planning to take either one or two subject tests in either May or June. He has completed an equivalent level of study in these subjects over the last 1.5-2 years.

Just in case you do not know, if you wish to retain your son's SAT or SAT II scores on his permanent testing record, you need to request this in writing with the College Board.  Unless requested in writing, the College Board will delete SAT and Subject Test scores taken before 9th grade. The College Board does not have this policy with AP exams - those are automatically retained without having to make a special request.

Good luck to your son.

• Like 2

Just in case you do not know, if you wish to retain your son's SAT or SAT II scores on his permanent testing record, you need to request this in writing with the College Board.  Unless requested in writing, the College Board will delete SAT and Subject Test scores taken before 9th grade. The College Board does not have this policy with AP exams - those are automatically retained without having to make a special request.

Good luck to your son.

Thank you snowbeltmom! I was aware but have not decided what to do. If he tests in June, I am not sure if he will receive the results before the end of the month to request that the scores are retained? Should I write to them sooner?

He is taking the SAT in March and I will have those results sooner so easier to decide for SAT but not sure what to do for the subject tests.

Thank you snowbeltmom! I was aware but have not decided what to do. If he tests in June, I am not sure if he will receive the results before the end of the month to request that the scores are retained? Should I write to them sooner?

The scores will be released online before the end of June.  Since your son is not old enough to have an online account, you can call the College Board the day the scores are released online and they will give you your son's scores over the phone for free. 

As long as you call when the scores are released online and don't wait for the results to come snail mail, you will have enough time to send in your written request after you receive the scores.

• Like 2

He is taking the SAT in March and I will have those results sooner so easier to decide for SAT but not sure what to do for the subject tests.

Last time I asked them about this(a while ago), they told me they didn't really follow the end of June rule that strictly. You can take some extra time to think about whether to retain the score if you test in June. I don't remember how much extra time though. This was only based on one rep's answer. If you'd like to clarify with them, maybe call them up before register?

My two will take general one in March, and one will take one or two subject ones in June as well :) I think for general, our testing center has separate rooms for younger kids, but not for the subject ones.

• Like 1

My two will take general one in March, and one will take one or two subject ones in June as well :) I think for general, our testing center has separate rooms for younger kids, but not for the subject ones.

Thank you! And that's cool about the same test dates! :) I don't know if ours has separate rooms. I've heard from another friend that there are usually no other younger kids at our high school sites. I'm going over in a day or two to ask, and to help familiarize kiddo with the testing area, restrooms etc.

• Like 1

The public universities here in CA require applicants to either have completed state-approved high school courses or to score above a certain level on the corresponding SAT2 tests (or AP exams). So I am definitely planning on having my DD take the SAT2's as end-of-course exams. She probably won't have any before 9th except possibly if we decide to have her do biology and U.S. history in 8th.

Thank you Muttichen! CW, just a note that I've seen mentioned on the boards about Kaplan's being the least representative of the real SAT. Posters have recommended either the CB blue book (with or without Khan videos to explain math test answers), PWN, Princeton Review or Barron's. I don't have it but I think Barron's focuses on the harder problems?

Good luck to all taking the test in March!

Quick question...can anyone comment on reliability of the SAT college board blue book practice test scaled scores vs real SAT scaled scores received? Big difference? Very accurate? Small difference?

ds took the SAT in Jan.

We did some prep with the blue book.

His actual reading score was higher than the practice tests.

His actual math score was on the low end of his practice test (he took a couple of practice tests).

I think the practice with the timed format and very similar questions was useful.

• Like 1

I read through the archives on this subject, and it seemed testing via a talent search meant some dc were able to test with their age peers and others weren't. So if that isn't a sure thing, the difference seems to be the stat reports and possible award ceremonies/scholarships.

Thanks for helping me sort things out!

My daughter did not test through a Talent Search, and she was still placed with younger students.  It seems (at least around here) that if you sign up for the SATs prior to HS age, you are grouped with the youngers/ talent search students.

Thank you Muttichen! CW, just a note that I've seen mentioned on the boards about Kaplan's being the least representative of the real SAT. Posters have recommended either the CB blue book (with or without Khan videos to explain math test answers), PWN, Princeton Review or Barron's. I don't have it but I think Barron's focuses on the harder problems?

Good luck to all taking the test in March!

FWIW, my daughter highly recommends PWN for the math.  Barron's 2400 was good for the math, but she thought PWN was the best prep for an 800.

• Like 1

I hope it's okay to keep posting updates in this thread.

DS came out of SAT testing yesterday saying that proctors insisted everyone fill out the last certification statement portion in script (he doesn't use cursive) so he forced himself to write it in a sort of loopy script. It will not match his handwriting in his essay (print) and also will not match handwriting in the certification statement written in his registration form (also in print). I hope they don't think anything of it? His signature was the same all around (print)...his "pseudo" script was only used to copy the statement everyone has to write before signing off after the test. He didn't want to disobey the proctor but he said that his writing looked horrible. Has anyone heard of others doing this and having the test results disqualified or something?

He also had test anxiety of a different kind. I'm not sure if any of you have a kid like this but I thought I'd mention it in case you do just to prepare you. DS has conscience-based OCD-like anxieties. He is always troubled if he thinks he did something that could give him an unfair advantage. He told us that the test booklet was printed on super thin paper. He was horrified that he could see bits of questions without even turning the paper and without even trying to look at them! He followed all instructions with turning the page, stopping where he should and so on but was still troubled that the thinness of the paper and being able to see through it had given him some unfair advantage. I reassured him that if he could see through the paper to questions printed on the other side, so could probably everyone else and that means everyone had done the same thing, and therefore, no unfair advantage. That comforted him but similar things have triggered long anxiety attacks before this.

What looks like a simple blowing things out of proportion to most of us has different effects on someone with OCD (learned this the hard way through DS's anxieties). So again, please ignore if you don't have a kid who faces this but if you have a kid who does, you know how helpful it is to know it in advance.

• Like 2

My understanding is that they only look at the honesty statement if there was some incident like they think someone is taking the test for money. Even then they would not care that the handwriting was weird or illegible. It would only be used as a means to verify identity and establish that the person indeed was aware they were violating the rules.

I'm sorry he's stressed. Your comment that everyone else in the same situation is right on.

While I understand why they've got so much test security right now because it was really ridiculous how much cheating was going on... it certainly can make already anxious kids who would never cheat feel worried.

• Like 1