Menu

Yipee....moving over to the "homeschooler" side

Hubby is now onboard for me to homeschool next year. We have LOVED our Montessori school, but I've always  felt like it's something that would be a better fit for our family overall. I'm so excited.  I'll be teaching my girls (ages 9, 6, & 4). The baby of course will just be along for the ride.

Congrats! I've been feeling so much dread lately over sending my kids to school. I hate that we have to stress over following the school schedule, stress over getting homework done, stress over behavior expectations, when I can do the education part so much better at home. But DH doesn't follow the school stuff as closely or see the differences as clearly because he doesn't spend as much time with them. I don't even know how to broach the subject of homeschool with him, he expects for me to return to work in a year or so and has said in the past that he doesn't think homeschool is right for our family, and that it's reasonable for me to do the education at home and just send the kids to school for the socialization. So how did the conversation unfold with you and your DH?

Sorry for the delayed response!  We've talked about it for years now but it's never really been an option. We recently had our fourth daughter and thinking long term- our private Montessori school (Which we LOVE) is just not affordable as all the children become school age.  We do have great neighborhood schools, but it's just something we feel will be a good fit for our family. I'm looking forward to the freedom/flexibility homeschooling will allow us to have.  I'm also a licensed teacher, so that helps a lot.  

Truly, I think it was the birth of number four and the idea of four private school tuitions eventually that encourage DH to seriously consider it, at least for one year. 

Congrats! I've been feeling so much dread lately over sending my kids to school. I hate that we have to stress over following the school schedule, stress over getting homework done, stress over behavior expectations, when I can do the education part so much better at home. But DH doesn't follow the school stuff as closely or see the differences as clearly because he doesn't spend as much time with them. I don't even know how to broach the subject of homeschool with him, he expects for me to return to work in a year or so and has said in the past that he doesn't think homeschool is right for our family, and that it's reasonable for me to do the education at home and just send the kids to school for the socialization. So how did the conversation unfold with you and your DH?

Thanks for sharing! I sometimes feel like most of the families on the board were either set on homeschool from the start, or found their school experiences to be just completely unacceptable. The families who successfully afterschool for a while before switching, and partners who start out skeptical but "come onboard", seem few and far between!

I'm considering taking a tour of the local Montessori-inspired private school. It's a 30 minute drive each way and over $5000 per year per child. If it becomes apparent that PS won't suit our kids any longer, it'll probably come down to that or home...maybe finances will be the final straw here too. ;)

Good luck with your new adventure!

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken me two years but my DH is finally onboard with HSing starting in Aug/September. I make a great living but I'm running myself ragged and paying through the nose for private school. It was great in our current locale, in that the school is totally worth it and my current job rewarding, but it's a lot to juggle. When we move it'll be me, 9yo DD and 6yo DS. We have a school logo, motto and uniform (DH doesn't want us to look shabby...lol) and all the curric. picked out. We plan to surf and hike, swim and explore. This season may only last for 18 mos or so but we're all looking forward to it. Congrats on your transition and good luck!!