Menu

Anyone use or familiar with (Literature Related)

The Reader's Odyssey, Grading with a Purple Crayon, or Out of the Holding Tank: A Balanced Program of Language Arts for Homeschooling Middle School Students   All published by Crecer Publications

I found all three on Amazon and find them intriguing but hate ordering when there are no previews or "look inside" links. The first two have a few rave reviews but I  would love more opinions. Has anyone here used them? 

English and Writing were my worst subjects throughout school. I always second guess my ability to teach these subjects to my kids. I haven't even been successful at getting to share my love of reading in general. For these reasons, I am always on the lookout for any curriculum that may help. Currently we are using literature guides for the books I chose to read this year but I find my daughter hates them. She has stopped complaining about reading but hates the days that we use the guides. The days that I allow her to read several chapters and narrate the story are much easier. While the narration is usually spot on, it isn't quite as in depth as some of the lit guide questions. She gets the overall picture but some of the deep details that help you dig into the story are missing. Understand? Years ago I read Deconstructing Penguins which I loved but couldn't implement. I never know how to dig into a book and ask the right questions.  For this reason I continue to use the guides even though she detests them until I find something that works better. I would love to know if you have any suggestions.

So if you're not familiar with those books, what about How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading?

I'm not familiar with your the three titles you mentioned in your initial post; however, I have read this book.  It is discussed on the board not infrequently.  You can search by the title to find some of those threads; I see 417 mentions!

Regards,

Kareni

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...