Menu

Could use some gallbladder advice

plain jane

My gallbladder has been giving me grief over the past few years.  Since I've had my last baby it has been non-stop pain.  No longer that feeling of having a brick under my ribs but outright pain under my right rib and in my shoulder blade.  An ultrasound showed no stones but some sludge.  My doctor thinks I am fine because there are no stones.  :glare:  :glare:   The pain is getting out of control.  It's affecting my mood (I am cranky because of the constant pain) and I'm freaked out to eat lest anything make it worse.  Nothing really makes it worse (although I haven't eaten a high fat meal or snack such as chicken wings) but nothing makes it better either.  I do have some herbal tinctures I got from my naturapath that help a bit (used to take away the pain completely before it got this bad- this was back before my last pregnancy) but that's it.

I have not had a gallbladder "attack" although once I did have very sharp pains right in the middle where my ribs meet that lasted for about half an hour. I think that was the beginning of one.  It came early in an evening (not middle of the night) and not after an especially high fat meal (had rice and potstickers).

I am totally freaked out. I've heard horror stories about digestive issues once the gallbladder is removed but I'm in so much pain right now I don't know if I can spend the rest of my life in constant pain.  To be honest, I'm a bit scared of either alternative.

I'm already dairy free, low sugar and not much for carbs.  My body does do much better on a high protein diet but I think that's what ruined my gallbladder all the more- all the meat I ate during my last pregnancy to make sure my protein intake was high enough.  I do have coffee daily and I'm just not willing to give that up.  I know it's not helping but I already have 0 dairy, 0 chocolate, no candies or sweets, eat dessert 2x per year (and only like one piece of cake or pie), 0 pop and few indulgences.  Every now and then dh and I treat ourselves and have date night and make some chicken wings.  I don't eat much gluten although I am not GF.  Some of my kids are so our meals naturally tend towards no or low gluten.  My relationship with food is very limited and boring. Borderline depressing, really.  My kids have several food allergies, which further reduce our selection of food.  There are a LOT of foods my family doesn't eat.  

Honestly, I'm finding life depressing when it comes to food.  I mostly made my peace but now this constant gallbladder pain is like tipping me over the edge.

What do I do?  Surgery doesnt' seem like the best solution.  Has anybody else dealt with this and managed the pain without surgery?  I was thinking of trying acupuncture but it's expensive and I am still breastfeeding so don't want to take a ton of herbs.

If nothing else, maybe I could just use some sympathy.  :o

try another dr.  try a naturopath who can help clean it up.  you store b12 in your gallbladder.  (great - now they tell me . . . )  no gallbladder, and you rely entirely on intake.

I'd try a liver cleanse as there are some who believe they are related.

I had my gallbladder removed 6 weeks after my DS was born. I don't have any issues. I would trade off some digestive issues for getting rid of constant pain though.

I also had to have mine removed around a month or two after I had DD. I did have digestive issues, especially during the first few months after surgery (postcholecystectomy syndrome), but it was still much better than having gall bladder attacks.

Gall bladder flushes/cleanses may have a placebo effect, but the "gall stones" supposedly flushed out are actually the result of saponification.

You need a HIDA scan to check your gallbladder function.

Mine is slightly low-functioning, but it behaves itself quite well as long as I eat a low fat diet.  That's not particularly hard for me, because I've been pretty much low fat/high carb for 25+ years.  I just made sure, once I figured out what was going on with my gallbladder, to *really* watch the fat.

My gastroenterologist says my low functioning gallbladder isn't an issue as long as I can control it with diet.  My internist says I should go ahead and schedule surgery so it can be done at my convenience instead of in an emergency situation when I'm writhing in pain and have to cancel some exotic vacation (seriously, that's what he said).

My MIL had her gallbladder removed several years ago.  She did have diarrhea issues after eating fatty food for a few months, but after that initial adjustment period things settled down a lot.  She has the very occasional problem now, but from what she says it's not often at all.

I would still prefer to avoid surgery as long as I can.  BUT . . . I'm not in pain.  I'm not miserable.  It sounds as if you are.  So I think for you surgery may be the best option.

I have personally known several including my DH who have had their gallbladder removed and they do not have any issues.   Get a second opinion.  Did you have a HIDA scan to see the complete function?

My gallbladder was removed in 1997.  For several years I had digestive issues, but I do not now and haven't for awhile.  I do know people who had no issues at all.

:iagree:  I know several people who have had their gallbladder removed, and most have no trouble at all. My mom went through a rocky phase, but then she changed a med she was on and it resolved itself. I'm one who IS having trouble, but you already eat the way I should be eating in order to resolve my stomach problem, so you may not have issues after all. I'm just not doing too well at changing my eating patterns the way I need to  :glare:

I agree that I would try a natural route first, but after that, if I was still in constant pain, I'd definitely get a second opinion. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong, in spite of what your doctor says.

I had mine removed in 1998 and have no digestive issues at all. Of course everyone is different, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that if you have no gallbladder you will have issues.  In fact, most of the people I know who have had their gallbladders removed have no issues.

Mary

Another one chiming in to say I have no major issues after removal.

In my case the surgeon told me straight out that 'have it removed or die' was my only option.  (Badly infected and terribly swollen, high fever, etc.) So, there really wasn't a good choice in the matter.

But, really, I've had less problems since it was removed than I did when I was living unhappily with it. Because it was so badly infected the surgery was more difficult and painful and I spent a week in the hospital but, still it hasn't been hard to deal with the aftermath.

I had mine removed in November (seven weeks after giving birth), and I don't regret it at all. I had a few gallbladder attacks over the years, but it really went kaput when I got pregnant. I was able to control it with diet throughout my pregnancy, but the diet I was on wasn't really sustainable. I was able to grow a healthy baby, but I had to constantly work to be sure I was timing meals and snacks properly. I would get up in the middle of the night twice to eat five almonds in order to get in enough fat for me/the baby. I still lost about twelve pounds while pregnant. There's was no way I could have taken in enough to breastfeed long term with how limited my diet became.

I was very nervous to have it done for the same reasons you are, but I just didn't think a diet that low in fat was healthy long term, so I bit the bullet.

I thought about trying to do something to break up the stones, but I plan to be breastfeeding or pregnant for the next five years or so, so I wouldn't have wanted to try anything until after that... I was also afraid I would get pregnant again and that would cause it to get so bad that I would need surgery while pregnant.

I reintroduced fat very slowly after having it removed. I mean very slowly. I'm now up to a fairly normal diet, and I've had no issues. I haven't eaten a greasy burger and fries or anything like that, but now I can eat salmon and put olive oil on my salad.

I would request a gallbladder function test. All the best in your decision making!

Huh, no issues after removal? I wish that had been me.  I had mine removed 16 years ago, 2 weeks after giving birth to second child.  I was an emergency removal so I have the great big 8 inch scar.  Both my sisters also had to have their gallbladders removed after babies.  My mom was able to keep hers going for years by drinking apple cider and apple cider vinegar.  She finally had hers out a couple years ago.  Now she's still having stones (in her liver).  We all have "digestive" issues.  Mine are the most serious, I really can't work, or go anywhere there isn't a bathroom (that I can occupy for up to an hour) I know TMI but it's life for me.  The healthier I eat the better it is.  No fat, no dairy, no sugar, no caffeine, extremely small meals and very minimal meat.... I could go a couple days between bouts of illness.  My sister has the opposite problem, she can't eat greens without being "sick".  The other sister said being a vegan  helped but she couldn't maintain the diet.  

One more thing my mom does is a clear diet for 3 days.  It gives her liver a chance to detox and work more efficiently.  Other then that you learn to adjust and accommodate your digestion. 

I had my GB taken out in 2008.  I had stones.  My Dr was going to recommend acupuncture if there were no stones.  In your shoes would give that a try, since you don't have stones.  You don't have to do herbs with acupuncture.  I've used acupuncture as a treatment for other issues and I think it's wonderful.  Is your surgeon wanting to remove the GB?  Honestly, it's easy to get freaked out about having the GB out.  I read all those internet stories, too, and think that there are people out there who have problems after the surgery.  I did well, though, and have not missed my GB at all.  I didn't even realize how bad I felt with the GB until after it was gone.     

try another dr.  try a naturopath who can help clean it up.  you store b12 in your gallbladder.  (great - now they tell me . . . )  no gallbladder, and you rely entirely on intake.

I'd try a liver cleanse as there are some who believe they are related.

That's interesting- thanks for posting this.  I'm going to do some more reading about the B12 and gallbladder.  I had my GB out in 2008 and now have pernicious anemia.  I get a b12 shot every 2 weeks.   

Hello Jane  :seeya:

Sorry you're having this bother.  It's really not nice - I remember the pain  :crying:

I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago and have had problems with fat from 6 weeks in.  If you can manage your diet and avoid surgery, that might be better.. but I suppose it amounts to the same thing: you have to watch what you eat carefully.

:grouphug:

B12 is actually stored in the liver not the gallbladder. I would have to agree with garden mom that a gallbladder flush & a liver cleanse are probably warranted. Your gallbladder stores bile which is made in the liver. Bile is needed to I break down fats & these fats are needed for countless purposes. One important one being to absorb fat soluble vitamins. Lack of symptoms doesn't = being fine IMO. Lack of absorption of these nutrients eventually shows up. Bile can become sludgy like oil in a car & may need help in being thinned out. Beet leaves are great for this. Look for an ND, DO or DC who specializes in nutrition & cleanses.

Did they just do an US or did they do a HIDA? 
Did they scan your pancreas too?

Agitate for help. You shouldn't be in pain. Ask for solutions to the problem. 

I'm battling gallbladder issues, but am putting off treatment until I'm done nursing. My attacks/low level pain don't correspond to diet in a clear way. I find if I do a daily ACV regimen things tend to be better.

They initially couldn't see any stones during the scan when I went into the ER with a severe gall bladder attack in 2012 but a very persistent radiology tech was able to find them a few days later.  She said I was the hardest person she had scanned.  I had my gall bladder removed a couple months later, diet wasn't helping control my attacks.  I've been lucky to not have any digestive issues afterward (and my diet definitely could be better  :blushing: ), it worked out very well for me.

Have you had a HIDA scan?

I had years of gallbladder pain, no stones, but very limited function. I already ate very low fat, so had no room for improvement there. I finally decided to have the surgery - should have done that years sooner.

I had the laproscopic surgery, outpatient, went in at 7am, was back home home by 8:30am. Easy recovery, back at work five days later.

I was able to eat normal food right away, no fat limiting diet needed. I have no related digestive problems, unless I eat extremely fatty i.e. deep fried foods, which I find easy to avoid.

Gallbladder out over a year and a half ago and no digestive issues! Now, if I eat certain fats together I will get a little "phantom gallbladder pain" as I call it that passes in an hour or so, nothing I can't control with diet, and NOTHING like the constant pain you've been suffering. You owe it to yourself and your family to find a doctor who takes your pain seriously and helps you do something about it. 

I had my gallbladder out last year. No one told me that there could be digestive issues after it was removed.  I was in so much pain, I thought I was going to die.  At one point, I told my nurse that child birth was easier.  She agreed, at least with child birth you have a hope of cuddling that baby once it is done!

One strange sounding suggesting that came from my dr made was for me to eat beans (think refried beans) frequently up to and after my surgery.  He said the stones would pass through my intestines and the beans would help to scrub them out of my body faster.  I thought it sounded strange, but I love beans so I did it.  I was shocked at how many little flecks of green bile was in the "evidence" later.  I started eating beans at every meal for the week before my surgery and as soon as I could have solid food after the surgery.  

I was ever so happy when I went in to have it removed.  Surgery was great.  Recovery was great.  I was back to eating whatever by 1 month and doing fine.

In 2011, I had terrible rib/back pain that was completely debilitating. Even the hydrocodone from my ear surgery didn't touch it.  The PA refused to do any testing but a CT scan with contrast.  The contrast they wanted to use was contraindicated for breastfeeding and I already had supply and feeding issues, so I refused (I also thought it was my back and not gallbladder).  So I went in pain for 10 months until I went gluten free.  Bam.  It was gone in like a week.  All GI issues resolved and the pain was gone.  It was magical.  I thought it was just coincidence.  I went back on gluten and it's back.  It radiates up to my shoulder and I have the worst pain and GI issues.  So my new NP ordered an u/s for me for monday. I was gf this past week and the pain was gone, but went back on to see if that's what is irritating my gallbladder.  I plan on trying to treat mine with herbs and diet for as long possible.  I know too many people who had issues post-surgery.  And I have a terrible, terrible reaction to surgery.  I do very badly afterward for days.  So that's a last resort.