Menu

What is the best state for secular homeschool groups?

I know there was a topic about which state is best for homeschooling laws, but I thought I'd start a thread to see which states are best for secular homeschooling groups. I live in the Northeast, and have a middle schooler. There is very little for us here, and we're struggling with making hs'ing work as we move towards high school. Most hs'ers we know with middle schoolers end up sending their kids to public school, since there isn't much available in the way of groups/classes and it's even difficult to find hs friends.

One of my friends just moved to the Denver area and has an amazing choice of hs programs for middle and high school. She sends me links to all that's available, and it's overwhelming. It seems like such an awesome place to hs. 

So, what states (besides CO, which is apparently awesome :) ) have amazing secular groups? 

I would have to say Ohio :D

But that's only because I started an inclusive homeschool group that I think is amazingly awesome. 

Also, we have more musuems, zoos and science centers than people. Seriously, you can't drive 13 miles anywhere in the state without hitting some kind of attraction. Columbus seems to be the mecca. And all the museums, zoos, science centers and parks have classes for those homeschooling.

I think it would be a matter of the total number of homeschoolers in a limited geographic area. Here's a handy chart: http://a2zhomeschooling.com/thoughts_opinions_home_school/numbers_homeschooled_students/

For example, NC has far fewer children than NY or PA, but a higher percentage of them are homeschooled. So in metro areas (Raleigh and Charlotte are the big ones) it's easy to find groups, both secular and religious.

Here's a list of secular groups by state: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-secular-homeschool-support-groups-state/

This really varies by city more than by state from my personal observation.  Especially if you are in a big state.  Where I am located, the secular community is so wide spread and small that they rarely get together.  Even the inclusive group is pretty small (40 families but only about 15 that are consistently active, from what I can see).  And the two strictly faith based groups are also very small, apparently.  If everyone joined the inclusive group, there would be a bigger group of people but our area is spread out so getting together consistently and maintaining friendships is challenging.

However, in several major cities in my state (Texas) there are LOTS of extremely active homeschooling groups.  Some offer tons of classes, activities, field trips, training programs, etc. for all types of homeschoolers.  And in some areas there are lots of homeschoolers in certain housing subdivisions so playdates and friendships are much easier to maintain.   Just depends on the city and the area within a city.  Faith based groups are still apparently larger but that dynamic is changing.  Inclusive groups are very active and there are some very active secular groups as well.  

I'm in NJ.  Lots of homeschoolers, lots of homeschool groups, super easy regulations.  I don't know a lot about those homeschooling high school since my kids are much younger, but I do know 4 or 5 families with a homeschooling high schooler and I've seen posts on at least a couple of my groups that were activities only for high school age teens.

I think it would be a matter of the total number of homeschoolers in a limited geographic area. Here's a handy chart: http://a2zhomeschooling.com/thoughts_opinions_home_school/numbers_homeschooled_students/

For example, NC has far fewer children than NY or PA, but a higher percentage of them are homeschooled. So in metro areas (Raleigh and Charlotte are the big ones) it's easy to find groups, both secular and religious.

Here's a list of secular groups by state: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-secular-homeschool-support-groups-state/

Raleigh may have more options for secular activities at the high school level, but Charlotte is not abounding with them. We certainly have more than the surrounding counties, but, for instance, there is not a single high school level homeschool science class in the area that I can find that is not Apologia. Dual enrollment is an option, but not until junior year and only at the community college, not at any of the universities.

We are part of one of the two secular groups listed in the link above which are in the Charlotte area--a co-op for middle and high schoolers only, that has about 25 families, offers one afternoon a week of classes and some social activities. Great resource, but small. The other is basically just an info loop AFAIK and I don't know that they do any regularly organized activities. We are also part of an inclusive group (and by inclusive I mean has or has had members who are actively and openly practicing Christians, Jews, Muslims, Neopagans, Buddhists, etc as well as members who are agnostic and atheist), but, again, it has maybe 30 families, mixed ages. We have things like park days and field trips, but weren't able to find a location we could afford to have classes this year. There is, I believe, another secular group in the area 30-45 mins away, but I don't know how active or large they are.

I see quite a drop off in available activities for secular homeschoolers once you start looking for high school level, especially if you want something academically focused.

I've homeschooled in three states, and find that secular groups are hard to come by, and tend to be disorganized/not very active.  For this reason, I float in all the groups, just to kinda see what is going on in my area.  I don't join based on whether or not they are secular/religion based, because I don't want to judge that way.    Of course, all three states were in the SouthEast, so that may have something to do with the abundance of religious groups.  

As far as NC, since it was mentioned, we were in WNC (Asheville/Hendersonville area), and though Asheville in general is very hippie-ish (and has ALOT of homeschoolers)....secular groups were NOT abundant.    There was one small group that just called itself inclusive...not specifically secular...maybe 10 families on a regular basis...and mostly just random park days.  The big, organized, active groups were all Christian.  I tend to think that the "hippie-ish" homeschoolers in the area just kinda did their own thing, instead of forming a group.  

The other states I've homeschooled in, I've have seen secular groups come and go.  None could be active enough to stay alive.     It's that same old story of a few doing putting in the effort, and the many popping in and out when it's to their advantage.

If I had to guess, to answer the original question, I'd think those states that tend to have a more "hippie" vibe would be more active in terms of secular groups.  (Of course, as I mentioned, Asheville is pretty hippi-ish, yet secular groups were not active).  I'd think Colorado, and California, if I had to guess.   

But that's only because I started an inclusive homeschool group that I think is amazingly awesome. 

Also, we have more musuems, zoos and science centers than people. Seriously, you can't drive 13 miles anywhere in the state without hitting some kind of attraction. Columbus seems to be the mecca. And all the museums, zoos, science centers and parks have classes for those homeschooling.

I agree that Ohio museums, parks, and other venues offer great programs for homeschoolers. 

There is a general acceptance of homeschooling in the state.  There are many homeschooling organizations.  Faith-based groups, however, predominate. Most of the truly inclusive and secular groups seem to be found along the diagonal that runs from Cleveland through Columbus to Cincinnati.   A secular homeschooler is not likely to find kindred spirits in rural Ohio. 

MeghanL, this is intriguing. We were looking at the Dayton area, so I'd be interested in learning where you are and if there are many middle & high schoolers. 

This has been interesting to read. We're seriously considering moving (for many reasons, but lack of hs groups and activity in our area is one of the factors). Thanks for the feedback!

MeghanL, this is intriguing. We were looking at the Dayton area, so I'd be interested in learning where you are and if there are many middle & high schoolers. 

I'm in Columbus, but my group isn't listed on any of the websites since it's currently run through meetup.com. My oldest just turned 10, so we have a lot of kids 10 and under in the group.

However, it does seem that in Columbus and the surrounding areas at least, there are many teens being home educated. The local libraries are always running book clubs and craft clubs for homeschoolers during the day. The rec centers sponsor dances for the high school homeschooling teens. 

I think too, that when there are so many opportunities for homeschooling families, it's a lot easier to meet people you click with at those. At the local science center, you can start volunteering when you're 12 (and they actively recruit those being homeschooled), so if your teen participates in that, you could quite easily meet others who value science. Or if you do the homeschool classes at the art museum, meet those who value art. I think it's harder to find those kindred spirits when all you have in common is homeschooling. If you can add even one more layer to that commonality, it can be easier to keep going.

I've always thought I didn't need 100 families to walk with me in my homeschooling journey. I've been very fortunate to find about 20 families that we can consistently meetup with and do different activities.

If you don't have something like this in your area, I would strongly encourage you to start one and see what happens. We use meetup because it has an amazing calendar with RSVP feature. The group just turned 5 years old and this month we'll host our 1000 meetup. I never thought I'd find anyone "like me" when I started it and have been pleasantly surprised. 

I think sometimes it can just be a crapshoot.

I joined the mailing list of a secular homeschooling group when DD1 was a baby.  I was so excited by all of the programming they offered, all aimed at elementary school kids.  Monthly hikes, arranging for classes and workshops for the kids, weekly park playdates in summer, weekly meet ups at a local playspace in winter.  Then my daughter was old enough to participate... and suddenly the listings are entirely for middle school aged kids.  Game night at 7pm on Friday, dances, and the field trips are to opera performances open to ages 12+.

It was suddenly obvious to me that the group is run by some super motivated, super organized parents for their kids.  Which is awesome, and as it should be, but kinda sad for me, as my kids are all younger.  I don't have the time or the energy to carry on the torch, which is my own problem.  But without someone to carry on the torch, this fabulous group will fizzle out as their kids age out of it, and it's up to the fates whether some new parents will come along to create more programming for their kids.

I think that groups that are affiliated with a church have more overall organization, because it's part of the overall church community.  There's probably more pressure on younger parents to carry on the torch, and a ready-made community there for support.  

Yes.  My local library allows each patron to rent the meeting space one time per year.  So obviously that will not quite cut it!

See, I would be getting creative with this. Each patron means each library card. Each family member has a library card. Since I have a spouse, myself and 3 kids, we can rent it 5 times a year. 

And, if you have a friend, she can rent it with her spouse, kids and self for a number of times per year.

And, if you have 2 friends, you can meet once a month for an entire year in a free rental space. 

Of course, this requires some organization. I realize I'm kind of the anomaly as I am incredibly Type-A and would be willing to do this sort of thing.

Yes.  My local library allows each patron to rent the meeting space one time per year.  So obviously that will not quite cut it!

Other area libraries say outright no because they have rules about the events being open to the public.  We tried to argue that we would be open to the public, but no they wouldn't go for it.

Our county library allows any group to reserve a room to use multiple times a week, except if they need it for a library function.   The restrictions are basically you can't be selling anything or collecting names to be used to generate income.

I guess that's something that can vary from area to area.

I don't think it is a state thing, prob a regional thing. If you are looking for secular then the NE is a good place to be. I hear some of the secular homeschoolers in the SE feel much more isolated.

I live in NY in the finger lakes area and we have a whole lot of homeschoolers. That makes for lots of activites. We have a secular coop that is thriving (I am not a member but I have lots of friends who are) and lots of fun activities.

I do think that everyone experiences a drop in the homeschooling population as the kids get older. Most of ds1's friends have decided to go to public school.

Yep, I'm sure.  I just know that my library and seemingly all the surrounding libraries have a similar policy.  And honestly, most of them don't have a space that is all that great for a homeschooling group.  It really is a meeting space with rows of chairs and a podium.  Not that they have a space where you can just hang out.  KWIM?

I did my 4-H group at our library.  I was able to arrange the room however I wanted but that usually meant taking down tables and stacking chairs.  I didn't have to change it back to any particular format at the end, which was good.  I usually wanted a fairly large open space with just one table or a row of chairs at the front of the room.  I think the room was supposed to hold 80 people, so decent size.

I guess we're pretty lucky here to have that available.