Menu

If I want to learn/teach the recorder...

dsbrack

what do I need besides a recorder and a beginning recorder book like Nine Note Recorder Method by Gardner or Recorder from the Beginning by Pitts?  Do I need a resource for beginning music theory to teach how to read music too?  Anything else needed to properly care for the recorder?  This is for myself with limited music reading ability and my 1st grader next year.  Thanks!

Good recorder books, except for Suzuki, will include basic music theory. The most important thing to master is breath control and a good tone. Listening to good recorder players (the Suzuki recorder school ones are good models, as are most renaissance consort recordings) will help the most.

Good recorder books, except for Suzuki, will include basic music theory. The most important thing to master is breath control and a good tone. Listening to good recorder players (the Suzuki recorder school ones are good models, as are most renaissance consort recordings) will help the most.

Thanks!  Would you consider the books I mentioned above good for just starting out or do you have another you would recommend? 

My favorite for older beginners is "Do It! Play recorder" in what is sometimes called the "homeschool edition", because it includes a lot of theory helps and supports that some other books expect a teacher to provide. You do have to watch the edition-the first ones out were UK based and therefore included terms not commonly used in the US, but the newer ones are available for both. It also has a good recording.

The Nine Note Recorder method is a good one as well, but doesn't "Front load" the theory.

For children, a lot of the things from Plank Road Press are good-they have a lot of songs with CD or MP3 background that require only 1-2 notes, but make the child feel like he's playing in an orchestra.

Once you get past the basics, I do suggest integrating the Suzuki recorder books simply because they're a good collection of songs and include a lot of folk music. Sweet pipes also has great collections, especially for consort playing.

On the recorder itself, I recommend either a renaissance style recorder, such as the peripole angel (easier to play in the lower range, almost impossible to overblow) for child beginners until they need the higher range, and then move to a good Yamaha such as the 300 series, or a mid-range Aulos. For adults, starting with the Yamaha 300 series is a good investment. I suggest a soft cleaning swab for the body only. I don't like the cleaning rods that you put a cloth on because it's really, really easy to get those sized such that it either gets stuck entirely, or is too small. For the mouthpiece, reach in with a soft cloth right at the part where it attaches the body and dry it out after play, but don't use a tool or expect children to do so because it's really easy for them to push too hard and break the fipple. Periodically, run some warm water through the recorder and let it air dry. If your recorder has a vinyl or plastic case, it's a good idea to let it dry after playing before you put it in the case. I find spool racks to be GREAT for drying recorders, or a handy person can build one quite easily.

If you need help, even if you can't find a recorder teacher, almost any woodwind player will be able to help on breathing and tone, because there really isn't much difference-so if you know someone who plays flute at church, they can give you some pointers.