Menu

Anyone's young DC have a blog?

Tranquility7

DS7 is very strong in LA, and as I've been thinking about having him do more writing (which he already enjoys), it has occurred to me that maybe I should let him have a blog. Not for any kind of personal journaling, but so that he can post things he writes for school (SOTW narrations, stories, writing assignments, etc.) and have any interested friends or family respond to them.  I don't mean respond in a "great job!" sort of way (though that is fine, too), but also in a constructive criticism sort of way (we have at least two family members who would be very good at that, as they are both writing educators, though for older kids), or even just in a conversational way about the content itself.  I really think he would enjoy having more "purpose" in his writing (IOW, that he is writing to share something with others, not just with Mom all the time), and I'd definitely appreciate the input into his writing (especially since I am not yet a very equipped writing teacher myself).

So - anyone else out there do this?  Any positives or negatives that you have seen come from it?  Any warnings for me?  (I'm assuming, btw, that we would keep it password protected so it is only family or friends allowed, but I'd be interested in what your experiences have been with that too.)

Dd12 has a school blog.  She put narrations and projects on it.  It is a private blog so only people who are given the link for it can go to it.  Even though it is private we didn't have any personal information or pictures of her on there either.  I'm putting this all in the past tense because she hasn't put anything on there in the last 6 months but just the other day she was talking about it again.  We used blogspot.