Menu

Native French Speakers (from France)?

kerilynn

Hello!

I did not even know this bilingual ed. board existed...I was about to post in the K-8 curriculum board.

I am putting out a call to any native French speakers. Even though I included 'from France' in the heading it is not essential, just thought I would give it a shot.

My ds, 5yo, has dual French/American citizenship. His father is French, and my son was born in France.

I am currently researching French reading instruction and would love to connect with a native French speaker.

I'm doing research on the French national curriculum, and I have my ex speaking to teachers/orthophonistes in France. I am hoping to come across some actual curriculum that is used to teach reading in the French schools rather than something from a typical 'learn French as a second language course.'

My own French is atrocious--I lived in France for a year and a half, and learned enough by ear to handle most things on my own, but I never learned to spell appropriately and my grammar is terrible. It is even worse now that i never use it. I do not speak French with my son becaues I do not want to provide a poor model for him, but he spends summers in France with his father and the rest of his 'French family who speak only French with him (except his father).

So...any Frenchies out there I can reach out to?

ob1Katob,

Thank you so much! I usually consider myself a pretty decent researcher, but I was hitting a wall.

Doesn't matter that you're not 'from France,' I just wanted to throw that out there just in case. (Wouldn't hurt to have someone in the know about France to connect with, kwim?)

I've quickly glanced at the links you provided, and can't wait to really check them out. I think my plan will be to try to find a french tutor to actually teach my son, and then maybe I could help a little with 'homework'...but I'm definitely going to stay out of it as much as possible so as not to muddle things with my horrible French. I just wanted to check out some actual curriculum first because, well...I LOVE curriculum ;-).

Thank you thank you thank you!

P.S.

Love your name...with a 5 yo ds, there is definiely a Star Wars theme 'round here lately, lol.

alef,

Thank you too!! I am getting so excited!

Could either of you explain the general method for teaching reading to French students (whether in France or elsewhere).

I thought in France that phonological instruction was mandatory now over whole-language/sight words (thank goodness!), but I thought I also read somewhere that the method for teaching reading in French was different than English in that it deals with syllables rather than phonemes?

There are several organizations I will be writing to next week for information, but I'd love to hear anything anyone might have to offer. :-D

Hello,

I'm married to a French speaking Swiss.  We used the books Leo et Lea to learn French through the "methode syllabique", which is essentially the French equivalent to phonics.  They break sounds down more by syllable than by phoneme than we do, because the spelling is so regular in French the number of syllables is somewhat limited and so teaching a whole-syllable unit of sound is do-able.  We did not use the workbooks, just the green and orange textbooks.  There are also short readers, but we didn't get those... maybe I should for my 5 yo!   

We spent a solid year with these books, and my son has an amazing reading ability in French.  He reads much more fluently than I do now!  lol.  They are considered first grade level books.  My 5yo is now about a third of the way through the green Leo et Lea.  She is also doing great.  The books are colofrul, pages are not crowded, and the stories are sweet.  There is a teacher's guide (guide pedagogique) but I've never seen it.  The books themselves contain no "how to" help.

We have now moved on to a standard reading textbook used in schools, along with readers from the J'aime Lire series of books, Le Bus Magique (Magic Schoolbus), La Cabane Magique (Magic Treehouse) for my son. 

To continue his language arts, we are using a book of dictée to work on spelling, conjugation, and the rest.  The dictée as a teaching tool is very important in France and seems to be the cornerstone for language arts there. 

Yay!

Thank you so much, Monica_in_Switzerland! I knew I'd get some good resources here!

I won't be starting anything with him until next school year. I am currently taking 19 credit hours and everything is a blur until I graduate in May.

I'm hoping he will get a good start this summer in France, and I am looking for a tutor for him to work with once a week next year Fall.

I am already nervous about not being able to answer his questions or help him. But I didn't want to abandon at least trying to give him a solid foundation in French just because I didn't feel competent to give it to him myself. He has such a unique opportunity having dual nationality and to be able to grow up experiencing both cultures.

Thanks again guys! I really REALLY appreciate it!

Not from France, but here's my answer anyhow.

http://www.lalibrairiedesecoles.com/

Méthode Boscher is also popular, and is available here, as is Léo et Léa:

http://www.editions-belin.com/index.php

Last, but not least http://www.lesalphas.net/

Oops, I can't believe I didn't notice that you already posted both Leo et Lea and the Dictée books!  W

Well, let my post stand as a second thumbs up to both series!  lol.