Menu

Why aren't more people excited about Google Books?

veritas

OTOH, even these seem to look better in theory than in practice. The MOOCs have abysmal completion rates. I found these statistics very interesting:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/completion-rates-arent-the-best-way-to-judge-moocs-researchers-say/49721

So, basically, predominantly male people with college degrees in highly developed countries use those resources for continuing their education.

That is in stark contrast to the lofty goal of free elite university courses educating uneducated people and people in developing countries. In theory, yes... but it does not seem to work out. Apparently, for many students there is no substitute for a live teacher in a live classroom to keep them engaged and focused on the work. It might just have something to do with human nature

I have completed some, but I have signed up for many many more just to watch a few lectures. I enjoy it. Sometimes they are great classes and I finish. Sometimes not. I also take classes on topics I am already familiar with (math, statistics, physics) in French to practice language. I can't invest the time to finish a physics course in my second language but that doesn't mean I didn't love it :)

It will take time for this to spread and really help underdeveloped areas. If you don't have regular access to the internet, how do you find out about these? It is relatively new. And 3 percent of over 800k is not too shabby. Its approx. 25x the class size (by graduation year) and the college I went to. So like opening 25 small universities in underdeveloped countries. 

ETA: Darn it, I should have read the last post before I hit send!  Oops. sorry!

Edited by CadenceSophia
  • Like 1

I have completed some, but I have signed up for many many more just to watch a few lectures. I enjoy it. Sometimes they are great classes and I finish. Sometimes not. I also take classes on topics I am already familiar with (math, statistics, physics) in French to practice language. I can't invest the time to finish a physics course in my second language but that doesn't mean I didn't love it :)

It will take time for this to spread and really help underdeveloped areas. If you don't have regular access to the internet, how do you find out about these? It is relatively new. And 3 percent of over 800k is not too shabby. Its approx. 25x the class size (by graduation year) and the college I went to. So like opening 25 small universities in underdeveloped countries.

ETA: Darn it, I should have read the last post before I hit send! Oops. sorry!

No problem at all -- I have done the same thing several times myself! :)

And if it makes you feel any better, I actually participated in this thread when it was first started, and it still took me a minute to realize that it wasn't brand new! At least you have the excuse of never having seen it before now! :D