Menu

7th Grade Planning

Ok, I thought there was one of these already, but maybe it was on a different board?  Anyway, my plan has completely changed since last week!  :lol:

ETA: Continuing to update this post, rather than embarrassing myself by posted repeatedly when I change my mind . . .  :001_rolleyes:

Math (1 hour)

Finish PreAlgebra:

Geometry

Probability and Statistics

Master Alcumus Pre-Algebra section

AoPS Intro to Algebra

English/Composition (1 hour)

Spelling: once a week, using How to Teach Spelling

Grammar: Finish Grammar for Middle School, then do Paragraphs for Middle School

Vocab: WWW Word lists (lessons 20-30) plus vocab from LLOTR & LAW Ă¢â‚¬â€œ vocab notebook

Writing: Writing assignments from Big History/Big Science

·         Reports should be question- or problem-driven, with a thesis, rather than just informational

·         Work through all the different Writing Tasks (below)

Writing Lessons:

W&R Chreia & Proverb

·         6-paragraph structured essay, closed form

Lively Art of Writing

·         Developing a thesis

·         Writing an Essay

Literature (1 hour)

Fantasy Literature Study: The Cauldron of Story

Read alouds:

1.    DaulaireĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Book of Norse Myths

2.    The Marvellous Land of Snergs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Wyke-Smith

3.    The Sons of the Volsungs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dorothy Hosford

4.    Smith of Wootton Major Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Tolkein

5.    The Enchanted Castle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

6.    The Little White Horse Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Elizabeth Goudge

7.    The Last Unicorn Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Peter Beagle

8.    The Chronicles of Prydain Series Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Lloyd Alexander (read aloud)

9.    A String in the Harp Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Nancy Bond (modern boy travels to 6th century Wales)

10. The Moorchild

11. The Ice Dragon Ă¢â‚¬â€œ George R R Martin

For Study:

1.    GrimmĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fairy Tales (Annotated Grimms)

2.    Cupid & Psyche Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Apulius

3.    Romeo & Juliet (Walch Guide)

4.    The Hobbit (annotated book plus Garlic Press guide)

5.    The Fellowship of the Ring (LLLOTR)

6.    Macbeth  (Walch Guide plus Shakespeare Uncovered)

7.    The Two Towers (LLLOTR)

8.    The Return of the King (LLLOTR)

9.    Watership Down 

10. Poetry - Rose, Where Did You Get That Red

11. Selected Short Stories

Big History/Big Science (1-2hours)

Big Science:  Origins - The Big Bang, Stars, the Elements, Solar System and Earth, Life/Evolution

Big History: Early Humans, Agriculture & Civilization, Expansion and Interconnection, Acceleration, the Future

·         Big History Project investigations, writing assignments, and PBL assignments

·         TC lectures - A New History of Life:

o   Practice note-taking from lectures (Cornell notes)

o   Rewrite lecture from the outline in the course book

o   Summarize lecture content

§  Write a thesis sentence for the lecture

o   Discussion questions: answer orally or in writing

§  Lead with a thesis sentence

·         Coursera classes: Emergence of Life, Origins, Astrobiology

·         Living books list: reading, taking notes, outlining/rewriting from outline, topic reports

Metacognition (1/2 hour)

TC - How to be a superstar student

How to Lie with Statistics

TC- Your Deceptive Mind

The Demon-Haunted World

Spanish (1/2 hour)

Finish GSWS

Easy Peasy Spanish online Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 7th Grade

Easy Spanish Step-by-Step

Interest-Led Studies (1 hour)

Filmmaking Class

Equine Science

Extracurriculars

Theater Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 or 3 main stage productions

Horseback Riding Ă¢â‚¬â€œ begin showing?

Life Skills

Regular Exercise

Cooking

Laundry

• Like 9

Rose, I *LOVE* the looks of what you have planned for science for your DD!  I have Bryson's book as well - it is awesome!  I always enjoy reading what you're doing with writing instruction too.

Here's what I'm thinking for next year:

LA: 

Finish Writing With Skill 1, start Writing with Skill 2, and when we need a break from that, parts of Blackbird & Co. Intro to Composition Thinking in Threes, CAP's W&R Book 4, and Killgallon's Paragraphs for Middle School 

continue Hake Grammar 7 at half-speed and IEW's Fix It

Caesar's English 2 (first semester) + Wordly Wise 9 (second semester)

Mosdos Jade (poetry, biographies, plays, short stories, and excerpts, including lit devices, vocab, writing prompts, lit analysis)

and a homemade book list

Math:  Just finished prealgebra with LiveOnlineMath video instruction and a Ron Larson text.  Looking at Derek Owens Algebra I next, followed by or supplemented with Foerster's Algebra I because of Foerster's increased depth and challenge

Science:  CPO or Holt Life science as a basic spine, rounded out with Ellen McHenry's Botany, Cells, and The Brain, and Mr. Q's Anatomy & Physiology, plus Carolina Science's Twig video subscription

History:  K12's Human Odyssey 3 (Modern Times to Contemporary Era)

Logic:  Art of Argument. Re-read and formally discuss The Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Toolbox.  Also continue Perplexors because DS loves them.

Other:  Review US and world geography occasionally via SheppardSoftware.com, CNN Student News, art & music appreciation informally via documentaries and live performances/exhibits, continue HS PE, martial arts, and competitive swimming.

(Edited as we get closer to fall.  :laugh: )

• Like 1

I think the other one was on the general education board, but I don't mind saying again, ;-)

Math... Jousting Armadillos or AoPS (Haven't decided yet) and LoF.

Language Arts... WWS2, AG and BtBR season 2, Vocab from Classical Roots

Literature... Good books

Science... Ck12 Earth Science, documentaries, Field trips, etc...

History... Finish up the World in Ancient Times and start the Medieval World

Music... Coop

Spanish... Tutor

Geography... Trail Guide to World History

Continue nature, artist, and composer studies.

We're doing 7th grade here now, but I rather like how it's going this year, so I'll share:

Literature/Writing

Jamestown Short Stories (1st Semester)

Essay Voyage (2nd Semester)

Writing Class (1st Semester Ă¢â‚¬â€œ AIM; 2nd Semester Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Explorative Lit)

Figuratively Speaking

Discuss reading/lit books  (I've been assigning her some books, and we just discuss with the help of some Shmoop questions).

Vocabulary

Word within the Word

Grammar/Mechanics

4Practice

Grammar for Middle School

Editor in Chief

Penmanship (remediating with Zaner-Bloser - her choice)

Math

AoPS Algebra

Algebra with Pizzazz (for review/practice)

Social Studies

K12 Modern History

Mapwork

Science

Biology Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Exploring the Way Life Works (text) Labs: Dissections -1st Semester/Lab Class - 2nd Semester

Chemistry - Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry (text) w/ Chemistry Lab Class

Foreign Language

German -  Sat. School, Duolingo, & extra reading

Technology

Arduino class ( 1st Semester)

Sew Electric (2nd Semester)

Logic

Grid Perplexors

I'm glad you posted, Matroyshka, that gives us a chance to pick your brain!  How are you liking Mr Q Advanced Chem?  And what is Jamestown Short Stories?

I'm loving Mr. Q Advanced Chem!  I can't speak to the labs, because we're using the lab class for those, but the text is short and sweet but also filled with lots of information, and the worksheets, tests, quizzes, and discussion questions are just enough for dd to consolidate and retain the information. There's a good amount of math and thinking. The reading/worksheets are scheduled to do in just 2 days a week (labs are supposed to be the 3rd), so it's given us enough time to double up on science this year.  Not that it's not enough by itself, but dd is not a humanities kid, so we're leaning light on the lit and history, and going heavier on the STEM side.

Jamestown Best is a series of books for middle/high school (you can get them at Hewitt).  They have other topical versions (novel excerpts, nonficiton, poetry), but I like the short stories as a good way to introduce literary terms and analysis.  I used this book with my older 2 in 6th; it's the 4th-6th level book.  I meant to use it with her last year, but she tried school, so it got shelved.  I looked at the 7th-9th book, but I like the stories in this one better, and heck, I already owned it, so I thought we'd go through it quickly.  It's got 10 stories in 8 units, each one focuses on a literary element (theme, plot, character, etc.) with discussion questions and writing assignments.  I did the writing with the older two, but skipped them with this dd, as she was doing another writing class.   The "Explorative Lit" class she's taking is an in-person class where they read and discuss both short stories and essays, and write responsive essays themselves.  I'm also going to skip the essay analysis and writing assignments in Essay Voyage this spring in favor of the writing and essay analysis in that class.

• Like 2

Well, 7th grade ended for us in December, but this is what ds did:

MATH.  and that is all.

Ok, a bit unfair, but it felt that way. Here is his real list:

Math

AoPS Intro Number theory

AoPS Intro Counting

AoPS second half of Geometry

The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by by Zeitz (first 6 chapters)

Proof writing with Mom (well, at least I gave it a go)

NZ math olympiad entrance exam (took 60 hours)

NZ math olympiad summer program

First 1/4 of AoPS intermediate Number theory class

sigh..... Yes, I did all this too.  Never again!!!!!

Science

Science fair project on Timing traffic lights

English

1/4 of WWS3

Great Courses: The Art of Reading

Planning a novel (but never put pen to paper)

Violin

ABRSM grade 5 music theory exam

Finished ABRSM grade 6 practical material

Mandarin with a tutor

Finished Boya 1, began Boya 2

History: Early modern and 1/2 of late modern wtih DAD

Could get you a book list if you want

3 living history parks (Macinac island, Hartwick Pines, Shaker Village)

Literature:

Great Expectations

Coral Island

Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas

Puddnhead Willson

Moby Dick

The science fiction Hall of fame

Lost World, Doyle

Wuthering Heights

Dracula

Tales of Mystery and Terror. poe

The picture of Dorian Gray

Turn of the Screw

King Solomons Mines

We by Zamyatin

Cats Cradle. vonnegut

Woman in White

Collection of Victorian Gothic Short stories

PE

Diving

Swimming

Win Tsung

Mountain Biking (including his first fall!)

Tennis lessons for a week

Art

Watercolour

Classic movies with dad

1 opera

3 plays

3 symphonies

Cleveland Museum of Art

Looks better than I thought it would....

Ruth in NZ

• Like 5

7th grader is doing Now

LA - Grammar Island

English from the Roots Up

Sequential Spelling

IEW Poetry

Figuratively Speaking

Pentime Cursive

Math - MUS Pre-Algrebra

Hands on Equations

History -  TOG Middle Ages

Project Passport - Middle Ages

Science - Apologia Anatomy

Elemental Science Earth and Astronomy

Botany (in the Spring - quick course)

7th grade Next year (currently 6th)

LA - Grammar Town

Apologia Jump In (Continue from this year and then move into something else)

Sequential Spelling

English from the Roots UP (Continued)

Math - MUS Pre-Algebra

Hands on Equations

History - TOG Year 4 World History

Science - Apologia Chemistry and Physics

That's all I have so far - working towards more independent work for the one going into 7th.

This is what I have planned for my 7th grader so far:

Math - Once he's done MEP 7 (soon) I want to have him do the chapter tests from Lial's BCM to make sure he knows it all, then we'll move on to MEP 8.

Grammar - Our Mother Tongue or perhaps CTGE 7

Writing - outlines, compositions from outlines, lit. essays and various reports in other subjects

Spelling - R&S 7

Logic - Red Herring Mysteries and Perplexors

History - World Empires, World Missions, World Wars as a group with siblings

Science - Exploring the History of Medicine, Exploring the World of Physics and The Ocean Book, plus some kits

Plus Bible memory, art projects and piano lessons. I think that's it.

for ds:

Language Arts - Moving Beyond the Page Age 11-13 full year package

Math - AOPS Pre-A and/or Saxon Pre-A (we haven't decided which will be spine, which will supplement), Khan Academy

Combined with 8th grade sister:

Latin/Grammar? - Vocabulary from Classical Roots, A

History - History Odyssey, Modern Times Level 2

Science - (Stem kid headed for engineering) Periodic Table - The Elements, Ellen McHenry,

- Chemistry - various SuperCharged Science lessons/labs, Khan Academy

- Circuitry (Snap Circuits, SuperCharged Science Lessons),

-and maybe Newton at the Center by Joy Haikim

Logic - Critical Thinking in US History (as the material corresponds to certain history lessons)

Typing- Mavis Beacon

Character and Life Skill lessons

Trumpet or keyboarding lessons

Well I look like a total slacker compared to you all (is this the accelerated board?) but here we go anyway. I am considering some changes, but am learning to be very cautious about changing what is working.

Math: going to try out Lial BCM this summer to reteach topics that gave him a bit of trouble this year. I might do Lial Prealgebra next year, but I might just go with Holt Course 2 since Course 1 has worked out fine for us. We use the online videos and I print out worksheets from the practice and problem solving workbooks, so it is pretty much just like Thinkwell. Actually ds prefers that I teach him, but I am trying to help him learn how to learn from a video.

Science: Leaning towards K12 Life Science since it has the labs, but our backup is PH Science Explore which we used this year. We only did one lab so far for earth science, but since we will finish in a month, maybe I will do all the labs at the end of the year. Yeah, right. If we do the labs and like them, then it will be better about doing them for Life. I need some good video supplement too (suggestions welcome). Edit: Also considering RSO Biology 2, but realizing that it is more teacher intensive and thus harder to schedule.

History: definitely going to do K12 Intermediate World History B. (Independently). We've loved part A.

Grammar: GWG 7, Exercises in English G, OR Killgallon elementary books + Grammar Minutes (he is a remediated dyslexic and struggles mightily with writing)

Spelling: Logic of English Essentials, unless we finish this summer. Even if we finish, we could do the advanced lists next year.

Literature and Composition: Lightning Lit 7 and Figuratively Speaking. Plus lots of audiobooks of classics. Edit: K12's 6th grade English is looking really good, if I get him a laptop to minimize all the moving around.

I might have him do CAP's Writing and Rhetoric series. I ordered it not knowing if I would use it for him or his brother (eventually). At the rate his 6-years-younger brother is going, I could maybe combine them. :/ Edit: I have received the TG's for the first two levels. I think our time & effort will be better spent on non-fiction writing.

• Like 2

Here's what I am planning for dd next year:

Science: Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry, Education Portal science units

History: Time Travelers New World Explorers, a unit on Native Americans, begin American History (European colonization)

Math: Finish up Dolciani Pre-Algebra, move into Foerster's Algebra with Math Without Borders

Memory Work: The Periodic Table of Elements, The Gettysburg Address, others speeches from the American Heritage Book of Great American Speeches for Young People, poems of dd's selection

Grammar: Continue with Rules of the Game

Writing: Continue with School Composition, move into Writing in English (both free from Google Books, same author), continue "writing workshops" on Fridays with Igniting Your Writing

Literature: Lightning Literature

Latin: Continue with Latin, Book One

Logic: Perhaps continue with online programming courses, Building Thinking Skills, Art of Argument

Art/Music: Informal

She will continue to play hockey (likely on a travel team next year) and practice archery as well participating in two book clubs, volunteering at the library, taking a homeschool science class, and attending a homeschool group. Oh, and she's planning to take a Shakespeare class through Homespun-School.

• Like 1

I love these lists.  I've just begun planning.  We're going to do more PBL in the future, so that means my plans will be partially empty and change based on the rabbit trail of the moment.  Like today a Cooper's Hawk was behind our house tearing apart a robin in the tree.  The kids went out into the Arctic (or it feels like it) and took pictures, we identified and researched it, printed up a ton of pages of info, coloring sheets, nature things about them and spend most of our day discussing bird adaptations and birds of prey.  So hopefully more like that in the future. "School" got boring for us for quite awhile, so we need something to get some interest back. :)

So far my plans for my ds (7th grade next year):

Math: TT Pre-algebra with some MEP 7 pages

English:  OM English 7.    

Bravewriter with Arrows and Boomerangs

A ton of creative writing-I'll write out my list later. 

Research writing/essays from history/science. 

Apples & Pears spelling...still.

Writing workshop with Lessons that Change Writers, BW Help for Homeschool and Partnership Writing Projects, other stuff

I'm lost for grammar. There's a lot in our Latin and writing programs, so I think that will be good for now.  He's good at it, so doesn't need drill. 

Tons of literature (I'll add later)

Latin: Latin Prep 2 

I really hope he'll pick another language, too, but he's undecided.

History: Finish Modern history

Overview of important events/people 

Peace makers/world changers/humanitarians

Probably listen to all of SWB's audio books again

Science: Finish geology this summer leading into biology

RSO Biology 2 and books I'll list later 

Private Eye science and nature study

Computer programming with Mom and using Raspberry Pi

Art of Argument

Piano

Typing

Updated a little bit in blue.  Deleted a few things. 6/14

Ooh! I'll play.

MATH: continue with SM and LOF

ENGLISH/WRITING:

CW's Homer A - yes, I realize he's a bit "behind" with this one.

Spelling - still <sigh>. Not sure. He's finishing the last level of AAS. Suggestions?

LITERATURE:

Continue on with selections from MP's lit program; we've had good success with this

Assigned reading - list TBD

LATIN: GP's SYRWTLL

GREEK: outsourced to Lukeion

SCIENCE: Probably Elemental Science

HISTORY: Finish up Medieval/Early Modern with OUP & outlining the Kingfisher Encyclopedia.

Begin Modern/American History - unknown selections

LOGIC: Possibly Art of Argument. Not sure; need something secular

MEMORY: MP's "Horatius at the Bridge"

TYPING: Some free on-line program dh found,

Here is what I am planning for my oldest next year:

Math: continue with AOPS Pre-A, move on to Intro to Algebra when she finishes, Daily Mental Math 7

English: R&S 7

Spelling: R&S 7

Lit: I haven't planned it out yet, but it will include selections from LCC and MP...nothing formal, just discussions (unless I feel like doing something like Figuratively Speaking)

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer Investigations in Life, Earth, and Physical Sciences (read selected units, then read other books to explore the topics deeper)

Logic: The Fallacy Detective

History: Mills' Book of the Ancient World and first half of Book of the Ancient Greeks, using the guides from A Mind in the Light (they include some writing assignments)

Music: piano lessons and choir

Bible: MP Christian Studies III

Latin: 3rd Form Latin

Writing: finish Blackbird & Co. Intro to Lit (covers the descriptive and literary essay), CAP W&R books 3 & 4, and Killgallon Sentence Composing for Middle School

• Like 1

Math- Saxon (we use CLE right now so whatever she places into) w/ dvd's

Writing- EIW 7

Lit- Lightning Lit 7

Grammar- Analytical grammar 

Spelling- Spelling Power

Vocab- finish English from the Roots Up

Science- Apologia Gen Sci

History- Notgrass 

French- ?

computer- ?

• Like 1

Wow. Already? 7th. It sounds so old.

I think we will mainly just continue with what we are doing now in a do the next thing sort of way, and I won't know where we will be when it is next year till we arrive there.

Looks like math will be AoPS as spine from now through high school, but that could always change, and some consumer math might get added for practicality.

Science and history will continue to be according to ds's own interests.

Writing will continue to get emphasis.

Our biggest problem is Duolingo which was going great for languages (both of us) till they upgraded their site and now we can barely access it.

• Like 3

I love reading these threads. Our basic 7th plan, and I know because we already own the bulk of it.

MATH - Aops Intro to Geo & working in their Problem Solving books

SCIENCE - Kumdahl's Intro to Chemistry, I still need to find/put together a lab pack

WRITING - WWS 2, maybe Creative Writer 2?

GRAMMAR - Magic Lens 2 & the 4 Practice book

VOCABULARY - finish Word Within the Word 1 and go on to 2

LITERATURE - probably still just lots of reading?????????????

HISTORY - k-12's Human Odyssey 3

LATIN - going back through all of Wheelock's for review and continuing on

CHINESE - continue with tutor

LOGIC - undecided

PROGRAMMING - whatever he comes up with

also religious studies, music lessons, swimming, archery, & baseball

Sigh. I don't know. Here's what I'm thinking:

Math- CLE 700s and AoPS Pre algebra

Language Arts- WWS 2, Barbarian Diagrammarian on Lukeion, Megawords

Science- I don't know. Maybe the next book in The Story of Science and continue with labs at the museum

History- the second half of SOTW 4 (as planned) and continuing to the present with lots and lots of reading and social justice lessons. Lots of Zimm.

Latin- Lively Latin 2. I guess?

A modern language. I want Spanish, one twin wants French, and one wants Chinese. Stay tuned.

Continue with soccer and archery

My soon to be 12yo is what I consider to be a late bloomer... always behind the average but always progressing.  I've wanted to participate in one of these threads but we never seem to quite fit the mold.  Do I post in the 6th grade or 7th grade thread?  Technically she will be the same age as a student in seventh grade though she'll be working at a lower level.  Oh, well.  I've decided to dive in here. :)

We will definitely be working on math through the summer so I'm not sure where we'll actually be when autumn rolls around.

Math - Rod & Staff 6

Grammar - Rod & Staff 6

Spelling - a combination of LOE's essentials and their "high frequency words" lists.  Playing Animal Jam and Mindcraft have propelled her forward. ;)

Composition - IEW B

Latin - Lively Latin Big Book 2

Geography - continue Memoria Press Geography 1

World History - Middle Ages.  We read from several encyclopedias along with SOTW.  Also MP's Famous Men of the Middle Ages.

American History - continue reading through Hakim's A History of US.

MP's Christian Studies 2

Science - Rod & Staff 6

• Like 2

Here's what I'm planning for ds12 in 7th next year.

Math:  Saxon 8/7 and HOE

English:The Spell of Words, IEW SWI B and Fix It Grammar, LL7

History:  MFW 1850 to Modern Times

Science:  Apologia General

Chinese: Chinese for Beginners

Other:  Piano lessons, golf, art?, and something computers, but haven't got that worked out yet. He might have a mentor for next year. 

Here is my tentative plan for my ds - subject to change a half dozen times no doubt!

Math - MM pre-algebra if available by next fall; otherwise we'll go with Lial's

Grammar - Analytical Grammar or MCT Voyage

Writing - WWS

Vocabulary  - Vocabulary Workshop;  English from the Roots Up

Religion- Seton

Latin - Finish Lively Latin then?

Science- ES Biology

History - Hakim' s Story of US

French - SYRWTL French

Logic - Fallacy Detective

Music - Piano

Math: Art of Problem Solving Introduction to Algebra

Science: Miller Levine Biology (finish) and Hewitt Conceptual Physics.  Engineering Everywhere units with brother.

History: Documentary-focused early modern world history with McDougal Little Modern World History book and the PeopleĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s History of the United States by Zinn.

Geography:  Africa (countries and culture) unit study, Human Geography by Norton

Language Arts: Classical Writing Poetry for Older Beginners, NaNoWriMo, HarveyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Elementary Grammar 2, Classical Writing Diogenes Maxim, Movies as Literature, Excellence in Literature as a literature guide only. 

Reading: Autobiography by Ben Franklin, Poor Richard, Julius Caesar by Shakespeare and Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare, short stories, Robinson Crusoe, Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Around the World in 80 Days, Prince and the Pauper, Little Women, Last of the Mohicans, Call of the Wild, Great Expectations, Pilgrims Progress, The Man in the Iron Mask

Foreign Language:  Arabic for Life, Introduction to Spoken Standard Arabic a Conversational Course on DVD, Sahlawayhi 1, New Practical Chinese Reader 1, Athenaze 1, Contacts by Valette.

PE:  Running, Swimming, Nutrition and Fitness study

Fine Arts:  Mel Bay guitar, Music Ace Deluxe, The Phonics of Drawing 

Bible:  Read through Bible (1/2 way this year), 52 names of God study, OT types and shadows study

Logic: (finish) The Examined Life Advanced Philosophy for Kids, Perplexors, Traditional Logic 1

Computer:  Typing until 50 words a minute, Codeacademy

My soon to be 12yo is what I consider to be a late bloomer... always behind the average but always progressing.  I've wanted to participate in one of these threads but we never seem to quite fit the mold.  Do I post in the 6th grade or 7th grade thread?  Technically she will be the same age as a student in seventh grade though she'll be working at a lower level.  Oh, well.  I've decided to dive in here. :)

I wonder how skewed this type of thread is. Over-achievers (said with love!) are probably more comfortable (and/or eager) to post than people who are struggling either with life circumstances, LDs, whatever. I'm right there with you, feeling a little conspicuous as we aren't already into Algebra and high school science. I take comfort in the knowledge that the huge amount of "average" learners I went to school with are largely doing quite well, according to FB at least. ;)

BTW, I had my son repeat a year because he was consistently below grade level. So I understand wanting to call your kid the grade they're working at, especially if it's a pretty even level across the subjects.

• Like 9

I wonder how skewed this type of thread is. Over-achievers (said with love!) are probably more comfortable (and/or eager) to post than people who are struggling either with life circumstances, LDs, whatever. I'm right there with you, feeling a little conspicuous as we aren't already into Algebra and high school science. I take comfort in the knowledge that the huge amount of "average" learners I went to school with are largely doing quite well, according to FB at least. ;)

BTW, I had my son repeat a year because he was consistently below grade level. So I understand wanting to call your kid the grade they're working at, especially if it's a pretty even level across the subjects.

Andrea, thank you so much for posting!  :)

• Like 1

We are not accelerated in any way, but I'll add my stats to the pool:

Math: Continue with CLE 700 and AoPS.  These are opposites and complement each other nicely!

Literature, Grammar, Writing, Vocabulary: Online through Landry using MCT and their literature list. 

Science: BJU 7 online....or maybe Chemistry

Spelling-Still working on remedial spelling skills with R&S 4

History:I was pretty sure of Memoria Press's American History, but now I'm wondering about MFW 1850-Modern Times as a group with all the kids.  Or TOG Yr 3?  TOG is what we've always used, but I'm tired. And MP's box-checking is looking pretty good.

Spanish-Easy Peasy, Destinos and other free online sources

Latin-I am pushing for First Form Latin, but he has hated every Latin curriculum I've previously tried.

Baseball, Boy Scouts, guitar, and art will continue as outsourced extras.

I've been so focused on what to do with my soon-to-be high schooler that I haven't thought too much about the 7th grader I'll have next year :)

This is our first year of homeschooling and it is going well, but we will definitely make some tweaks for next year.  My kids get along extremely well (they really do!) but for some reason my daughter does not like doing work with my son.  She wants to get it done and gets frustrated having to wait for him to finish this or that before they are ready to work.  Having them study the same subjects isn't really high on my priority list anymore.  Makes more work for me but I knew going in it wasn't going to be a cake-walk.  So here goes!

History/Geography: Unit studies on topics of interest (ex: King Arthur, major wars, weapons and armor) using library books and online sources

Math: Saxon Algebra 1/2

Language Arts: Continue IEW SICC-B, Fix-It and literature that goes along with history/science

Science: Ideally a biology program so I can do the same lab with both kids, but if that doesn't happen, then a 1/2 year of Conceptual Physics and a 1/2 year of Ellen McHenry's chemistry or other chem program

Possibly some interest lead studies for science as well, I love the idea of studying origins like the OP mentioned!

Foreign Language: Latin Alive 1 (they ARE doing this together, DARNIT!!!)

Extra curriculars include Japanese swordfighting, basketball, electric bass (and possibly saxophone) and boy scouts

Ok, I thought there was one of these already, but maybe it was on a different board?  Anyway, my plan has completely changed since last week!  :lol:

Math - Algebra 1  With what????  It's a dilemna.  Top contenders include AoPS (Don't have it yet, but want it), Jacobs (got it, like it, but strangely unsatisfied), and Crocodiles & Coconuts/Chuckles the Rocket Dog (have JA, and love it)

English - Well, I'm glad you asked! I'm super excited about English next year:

MCT Word Within the Word and Magic Lense, Killgallon Paragraphs for Middle School

Writing:  Writing across the curriculum, with guidance from BW's Help for High School, Finkle's Writing Extraordinary Essays, Payne's Lively Art of Writing . . . and some of the lessons from Don't Forget to Write. Focus = essay writing

Literature: Origins of Fantasy Literature & The Hobbit.  Then, The Short Story: Literary Terms & Techniques

History - Ancient history using OUP's World in Ancient Times - we'll probably get through the Early Human World, Chinese World, South Asian World, Middle Eastern World, and Egyptian World.  the end of the year we'll pick up the human history bits of Big History.  Greece and Rome we'll save till next year

Science - This is what I'm most excited about:  we decided to spend the year studying Origins . . . the Universe, Life, and Everything.  Here are the main resources I'm pulling together for this study:

TC lectures:  Big History, Modern Perspectives on our Solar System, A New History of Life

Coursera:  Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life and Human Evolution, Past and Future

Books:

McHenry Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Elements

A Short History of Nearly Everything Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Bill Bryson

The Story of Earth: The First 4.5 Billion Years, From Stardust to Living Planet Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Robert M. Hazen

Genesis: The Scientific Quest for LifeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Origin Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Robert Hazen

Astrobiology: A Brief Introduction Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Kevin Plaxco & Micahel Gross

Why Evolution is True Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Jerry Coyne

Spanish - Allinonehomeschool's Easy Peasy Spanish 7th grade and Easy Spanish Step by Step

Logic/Critical Thinking:  We have an ongoing "course" called "Metacognition: A User's Guide to the Human Mind (Yours and Other People's)".  The 7th grade installment will include such things as The Art of Argument,  The Five Elements of Effective Thinking, and The Demon-Haunted World

What are you guys planning for 7th grade?

I'd LOVE to know more about this logic thing you've got going on!

I wonder how skewed this type of thread is. Over-achievers (said with love!) are probably more comfortable (and/or eager) to post than people who are struggling either with life circumstances, LDs, whatever. 

I posted for my dd#2 in the 6th grade thread even though quite a few of her skills are one grade level down. Her grade level is based on age. Her skill level is based on ability. I try to be at peace with the dichotomy while I not-so-secretly hope for a leap in ability like I saw between 3rd & 4th.   :grouphug:

(I lurk on here because my dd#1 is doing 7th grade this year & I like to see what others are planning for next yr vs. what I'm making her do this year.)

Same here!  I forgot we are doing Building Thinking Skills and I do like it but would love to add another layer to it with some logic books.  I think both of my kids would benefit from this, their years in public school taught them that if it isn't right in front of them in black and white, ask for help.  I usually tell them they have to show me some evidence that they have thought through a problem before I will help them.

Yeah, that makes two of us!  :lol:

I've been thinking about this for awhile, as part of the big picture planning stuff - what do I want my kids to know, understand, and be able to do by the time they fly the coop?  And understanding how stuff works is right up there.  And what's more relevant than understanding what makes people tick? Themselves, and other people?  Communication, behavior, beliefs, judgement, morality, knowledge, all that stuff.  Honestly, I couldn't care less if my kids have a solid grasp of formal logic, but I want them to understand thinking.  I want them to be able to critically assess information, make and deconstruct arguments, communicate effectively, resist propaganda, understand biases and groupthink, and have some kind of a clue about how people think and behave, both individually and in the agregate.

Soooo . . . with that modest goal, I started thinking about how to do this, and what it ends up looking like on the hs transcript.  I mean sure, you can have a class called "Psychology" or "philosophy" or "Theory of Knowledge" or whatever, and my kids probably will, but I wanted to think about the content before I got attached to a label.  That's why I picked kind of a silly name - Metacognition - because I thought it was broad enough and thought-provoking enough that we could include whatever we wanted to, and not get boxed in by some pre-conceived syllabus or reading list.

So really, this is a massive work in progress.  I know there are basic things I want to cover, and I'm always looking for more.  So I have a running book list that I have tried to key to age/grades, but it's all fluid and will be based on readiness.  Output will ramp up with age and ability, too.  

So this year in 2nd/6th grade, we have covered this Zaccaro book:

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Future-Mathematicians-Scientists-Rarely/dp/0967991544

We are now reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/5-Elements-Effective-Thinking/dp/0691156662/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393102683&sr=1-1&keywords=the+five+elements+of+effective+thinking

and then Shannon will work through this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Problem-Solving-Genius-Strategies/dp/0967991595/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393102717&sr=1-1&keywords=zaccaro+problem+solving+genius

Next year, we will do more on statistics, I have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393102754&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+lie+with+statistics

and of course Zaccaro has a stat critical thinking book, too.

We'll also do Art of Argument next year.

Some of the things I am thinking about for a yet-undetermined future time include:

The Demon-Haunted World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Carl Sagan

The Philosophy Gym Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stephen Law

SophieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s World

Coursera: Reasoning and Persuasion: 3 Dialogs by Plato

Coursera - Social Psychology

Coursera - An Introduction to Psychology as a Science

The Brain Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ellen McHenry

How the Mind Works Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Steven Pinker

The Language Instinct - Steven Pinker

Moral Minds - Mark Hauser

The Blank Slate Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Steven Pinker

The Seekers: The story of manĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s continuing quest to understand his world Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Daniel J. Boorstin

Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson 

There - clear as mud??  :laugh:

• Like 3

Yeah, that makes two of us!  :lol:

I've been thinking about this for awhile, as part of the big picture planning stuff - what do I want my kids to know, understand, and be able to do by the time they fly the coop?  And understanding how stuff works is right up there.  And what's more relevant than understanding what makes people tick? Themselves, and other people?  Communication, behavior, beliefs, judgement, morality, knowledge, all that stuff.  Honestly, I couldn't care less if my kids have a solid grasp of formal logic, but I want them to understand thinking.  I want them to be able to critically assess information, make and deconstruct arguments, communicate effectively, resist propaganda, understand biases and groupthink, and have some kind of a clue about how people think and behave, both individually and in the agregate.

Soooo . . . with that modest goal, I started thinking about how to do this, and what it ends up looking like on the hs transcript.  I mean sure, you can have a class called "Psychology" or "philosophy" or "Theory of Knowledge" or whatever, and my kids probably will, but I wanted to think about the content before I got attached to a label.  That's why I picked kind of a silly name - Metacognition - because I thought it was broad enough and thought-provoking enough that we could include whatever we wanted to, and not get boxed in by some pre-conceived syllabus or reading list.

So really, this is a massive work in progress.  I know there are basic things I want to cover, and I'm always looking for more.  So I have a running book list that I have tried to key to age/grades, but it's all fluid and will be based on readiness.  Output will ramp up with age and ability, too.  

So this year in 2nd/6th grade, we have covered this Zaccaro book:

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Future-Mathematicians-Scientists-Rarely/dp/0967991544

We are now reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/5-Elements-Effective-Thinking/dp/0691156662/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393102683&sr=1-1&keywords=the+five+elements+of+effective+thinking

and then Shannon will work through this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Problem-Solving-Genius-Strategies/dp/0967991595/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393102717&sr=1-1&keywords=zaccaro+problem+solving+genius

Next year, we will do more on statistics, I have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393102754&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+lie+with+statistics

and of course Zaccaro has a stat critical thinking book, too.

We'll also do Art of Argument next year.

Some of the things I am thinking about for a yet-undetermined future time include:

The Demon-Haunted World Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Carl Sagan

The Philosophy Gym Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Stephen Law

SophieĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s World

Coursera: Reasoning and Persuasion: 3 Dialogs by Plato

Coursera - Social Psychology

Coursera - An Introduction to Psychology as a Science

The Brain Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ellen McHenry

How the Mind Works Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Steven Pinker

The Language Instinct - Steven Pinker

Moral Minds - Mark Hauser

The Blank Slate Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Steven Pinker

The Seekers: The story of manĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s continuing quest to understand his world Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Daniel J. Boorstin

Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson 

There - clear as mud??  :laugh:

Do you have some way to get Coursera courses when ready for them rather than when they happen to be given?

I'd like to add to your ideas the film series called "4 by Adam Curtis" -- in regard to Propaganda, it can change the way you view the world. I bought a used set, but it is getting hard to find. The sound quality is poor for a BBC series, but overall it is still 5 stars.

• Like 1

I love it! Thanks for sharing that!

As far as kids who aren't advanced: I think every kid has strengths and weaknesses.  My ds can not spell.  He is soooooo behind in spelling (dyslexia) and not quite up to par for reading.  He does great with read alouds and audiobooks, and does read a lot, though.  Math he can do, but he lacks self-confidence. But he is gifted in other areas.  Asynchronous kids can be so difficult to plan for, so we have to do a lot of tweaking. 

• Like 1

Math - Algebra 1  With what????  It's a dilemna.  Top contenders include AoPS (Don't have it yet, but want it), Jacobs (got it, like it, but strangely unsatisfied), and Crocodiles & Coconuts/Chuckles the Rocket Dog (have JA, and love it)

If JA is working well for you, you might want to continue with the series.

We went JA to AoPS Intro A and at first it seemed like JA (and we had also had some Lial's pre-A) had been enough to make the transition, but then it seemed like as we got further, it was not enough after all. Because he did not like the writing which was an important part of JA, nor the reading which JA has made an integral part of the program (both of which I think are great, but ds does not), for ds AoPS has seemed the slightly better fit (he ignores the long text parts), so we dropped back to pre-A level with AoPS rather than add on Crocodiles etc. I do think the AoPS Intro to A is better and more user friendly than the pre-A now having seen both, but JA seemed to leave us a little bit shy of making the transition. Or you could try what we tried which is to try Intro A and see if she's ready and if not get Crocodiles etc.

• Like 2

Math: Geometry (TabletClass)

English: WWS 2, Caesars English 2, Hake Grammar 7

Latin: Latin Prep 3

Spanish: continue DuoLingo, and incorporate more short Spanish stories for translation. Find a tutor, perhaps?

Science: Derek Owens' Physical Science

History: Human Odyssey Volume 3 OR American History. Or both. I can't decide. Incorporate more writing into History.

Electives: Guitar, Musical Theory

Physical Education: Horse back riding and maybe lacrosse?

We'll do one semester of each of the following (hopefully that's enough time)

• Logic: Art of Argument
  • Poetry Analysis: currently exploring a few options. Maybe Walsh's Poetry and Prose, but we'll have finished Figuratively Speaking, so not sure it will be repetition. If so, then we'll move to Classical Academy Press' Art of Poetry.
  • Civics perhaps with FLVS.  A little nervous about outsourcing this, but we have two weeks to evaluate and then we can drop it if we don't like it. I also have a book that I like.

no formal spelling planned.

Not sure about reading list yet. My son reads very slowly, so I can't assign more than 4-5 heavy duty books. 

Sometimes I think the threads should be asking what people are currently using for x grade, because I know every time I post in these planning threads, I end up changing things before we start and then changing things again when I figure out what we can actually reasonably accomplish! But anyway, planning is fun for me, so here goes.

LA:

- finish Analytical Grammar. I'm not sure this program is thorough enough to be the end of grammar study, so for eighth we'll finish grammar up with the grammar lessons from Rod and Staff 9, I think.

I'll have to take a better look at the high school reinforcements or maybe some MCT grammar before deciding.

- finish WWS2, last third, and continue the outlining and composition work across the curriculum until level 3 is ready.

-booklist, not done yet but pretty sure I want to do Animal Farm and The Hiding Place this year.

-vocab: might do Sadlier -Oxford or MCT, might do vocabulary list from literature reading, or might do nothing.

-spelling: plan to move to personal spelling lists

MATH:

AoPS Intro to Algebra, first thirteen chapters

LATIN:

continuing with Henle 1, considering a class

SPANISH:

Duolingo, but again thinking about a class or about using a textbook with or without a tutor

BIBLE/RELIGION, HISTORY, SCIENCE:

?????

I am considering American History with living books and Guerber as a spine. I have also considered using books I already have for the third year of the four year history cycle, which would be Dorothy Mills' Renaissance and Reformation, and the Oxford MA/Early Modern series books that deal with the 1300-1700's. I would put something together with those for the first half of the year, then focus on early American history for the second half. Then move back to modern world history for eighth.

If JA is working well for you, you might want to continue with the series.

We went JA to AoPS Intro A and at first it seemed like JA (and we had also had some Lial's pre-A) had been enough to make the transition, but then it seemed like as we got further, it was not enough after all. Because he did not like the writing which was an important part of JA, nor the reading which JA has made an integral part of the program (both of which I think are great, but ds does not), for ds AoPS has seemed the slightly better fit (he ignores the long text parts), so we dropped back to pre-A level with AoPS rather than add on Crocodiles etc. I do think the AoPS Intro to A is better and more user friendly than the pre-A now having seen both, but JA seemed to leave us a little bit shy of making the transition. Or you could try what we tried which is to try Intro A and see if she's ready and if not get Crocodiles etc.

Hm, food for thought for sure.  Shannon really likes reading JA, the tone is pitched just right for her - she feels like that teacher is talking to her, and it's conversational, not too esoteric.  Some of the lessons (we've completed 4 of 6 chapters now) she goes off and does on her own, some she definitely needs to talk through with me (she reading aloud and doing the lesson problems together) before it clicks.  But I like that. It's easy to follow the logic, no major leaps, but I like how it really guides her to discover the concept.  AoPS preA, on the other hand, I find really hard to read, I haven't even tried her on it independently, the few sections we've done have been completely orally/Socratically.  I wish I had a better sense of how the Algebra book reads, but I guess I'll have to wait till I get it in my hot little hand.

Then there is Jacobs, which I already have and so wouldn't cost me another $100 . . . .  :glare:

ETA:  she just chuckled & giggled her way through lesson 1 of chapter 5 - I really might have to break down and buy the next two books after JA! It's fun to see her finding math so funny.  Not since the early days with LOF has math been so funny!  (and LOF has rather paled on us by now)

• Like 1

Do you have some way to get Coursera courses when ready for them rather than when they happen to be given?

I'd like to add to your ideas the film series called "4 by Adam Curtis" -- in regard to Propaganda, it can change the way you view the world. I bought a used set, but it is getting hard to find. The sound quality is poor for a BBC series, but overall it is still 5 stars.

well, you can download the lectures and other course material.  I haven't done that yet.  It seems like they are being offered at least once a year, so I think I'll just plug them into our ongoing studies when I feel like she's ready for them.

The Adam Curtis film series sounds great, I can't find one but I'll keep an eye out.  Thanks!

My only update so far is that I'm thinking I'm *not* going to continue with Crocodiles & Coconuts & Chuckles the Rocket Dog after JA - when I lined up the S&S, it seemed there was too much missing to spend that much money.  I ordered AoPS this weekend, and will look at that - for half the money, there is just so much there, and I know I want it for myself, even if I don't end up using it for the kids.  For Shannon, I'm going to look at trying it, with Jacobs as a back up.  Of course, now I"m wondering if I should get Foerster's for comparison . . .  :rolleyes:

We're really enjoying Zaccaro Real World Algebra alongside the last two chapters of JA for now, though.

• Like 2

Not sure if we are grade 7 or 8 (it is almost the same here) happily posting in both threads ;)

Dutch: no idea, we passed the 8th grade exam already

English: continuing All Aboard 3 an EFL program, LL8, IEW (not sure which book next year)

French: BranchĂƒÂ©, CINED readers

Latin: Phoenix

Pondering about adding Ancient Greek/German

Maybe Logisch! for German and Athenaze for Greek

Am I seeing that your dd studies 7 languages!?  WOW!  I am really impressed.  Great job!

• Like 1