Menu

Asynchronous/Accelerated Plans for Next Year

SeaConquest

DD9 just started homeschooling in late February, so the Fall will mainly involve finishing up what we started this year.

ELA:

MCT Time Trilogy, finish CE I, then do CE II, along with the end of Grammar Town

WWS, continue level 1

book club

Math:

Finish AOPS Pre-Algebra by Thanksgiving, maybe start Intro to Algebra

Cryptoclub, Zaccaro books, logic puzzles

math club

Science:

DD will be doing several science camps over the summer

Alice 3 programming

studying Horticulture and Anatomy

History:

continue world history survey, covering 1800-present

unit study based on Downton Abbey

lots of visits to local museums and historic homes, including Newport mansions

Languages:

French at home

Latin class

Art:

weekly art museum class

Music:

fiddle lessons

PE:

Irish dance

swimming

Misc:

sewing lessons, to help with her dance costume, and to make a matching dress for her stuffed bunny

wiring dollhouse for lights

working her way through a French cookbook (she made crepes again this morning)

wants to start a "real" business

Ooh! Tell me more! I don't think DS will ever be happy out of Ancients, but we at least I can dream.

Back in February I couldn't think about it, but I'm getting closer now.  I'd better be, because even though we are year-round, I think we're going to call the next year as starting in July.  Which is two weeks away.  Haha!  So it is good for me to type it out.  My kids are not as far ahead as some I read about here, but in the spirit of playing along, I will share.  :) 

DS9 (language/science/ideas kid):

Math-  Almost done MM4b now, finish and go right into MM5.

LA-  Back in February I was right about MCT Town, he zoomed right through it this spring. Will start Excavating English soon and do that over the summer, NaNoWriMo in fall at his request. Continue with Moutaux Drawing Sentences, Bravewriter, interest-led, mom-led literature, and Getty-Dubay penmanship. Maybe will be ready to start MCT Voyage level in spring.

History- Continue with Hakim History of Us, homemade geography, and lots of interest-led learning.

German- DuoLingo, Deutsch Aktuell, conversation with DH

DD7 (math/science/project kid):

Math- Almost done BA 3a, finish and continue through BA sequence

LA-  She needs something for spelling, thinking Apples and Pears.  Continue our mix of Bravewriter, MBtP and Mom-made units. Getty-Dubay penmanship. May do a refresher of MCT Island level later in the fall.

History-  American Girl book units. Projects and supplemental readers that go along with DS's History of US. Interest-led geography.

German- Osmosis conversation with DH

For both:

Arts- Interest-led, doodle art, Mark Kistler

Science- Interest-led and family learning.  Continue BFSU2, Private Eye.  I need to find some more awesome units for add-ins, because every time I find something, we do it, and then I need to find more again!  It never ends....

I'll be interesting to see how much I'm forgetting and how much this will change.

Ooh! Tell me more! I don't think DS will ever be happy out of Ancients, but we at least I can dream.

It's a way to give our 1800-2000 History coverage more context, with lots of topics to explore: the sinking of the Titanic, women's voting rights, property rights, the Irish in England, etc., and we will follow the money, especially in relation to the industrial revolution.

In addition to watching the videos, we will read these books, plus hit the library for further study of related history topics:

The World of Downton Abbey

The Chronicles of Downton Abbey

The Real Life Downton Abbey: How Life Was Really Lived in Stately Homes a Century Ago 

The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook: From Lady Mary's Crab Canapes to Mrs. Patmore's Christmas Pudding - More Than 150 Recipes from Upstairs and Downstairs

We will also go on a servant life tour while visiting some of the Newport mansions, plus visit some museums covering early industrial life, antique cars, and whatever else I can justify. :001_smile:

I was relieved to leave the Ancients when we did, since DD had been determined to build a pyramid to scale for her mummified Barbie dolls.  A detailed geometry lesson eventually convinced her it would not really work in our apartment.  She's been working on getting the Bastille built as we wrap up the 1700s.  I suppose given this background I should be prepared for a reproduction of Downton Abbey itself. :001_unsure:

• 1 month later...

I've been tenatively planning, but there are a couple subjects I'm not sure about.

DS 7-

Literature: I made a list of lit to read based on Great books academy and ambleside that we will continue to work our way through. 

Grammar:  we are finishing up Grammar Island I don't know if I will continue with MCT or not.  We love Island, but I read mixed reviews on here about the upper levels.

Spelling:  We play around with Spelling Power, randomly when we feel like it.

Writing: IDK.  Help!  :lol:

Math: Singapore, I'm guessing we will be starting 3B, perhaps 4A.

History: SOTW 2 (We do this lightly, basically read the book and do the mapwork.  He rabbit trails on his own

Science: Projects and notebooking

Latin:? Minimus Secondus? IDK.

Art: We do a homeschool art class through the Art Museum.  He also plays drums & Suzuki double bass. 

PE: Takes swimming lessons and plays soccer.

My 3 year old twins are in Montessori Preschool, next year they will continue.  We do BOB books and other fun stuff in the afternoons, but I don't plan anything for them.

So, after all of my agonizing, I'm back to this. :laugh:

It's funny for me to read my post on the last page, when I thought I had it all figured out. We're not schooling year round because my son said, "It's summer, don't I get a summer vacation?" Grandpa got busy, so the piano lessons got dropped. My almost 4 yr. old asked if she was in preschool yet. Now both kids are listening to me read two stories from the Colored Fairy books, and copying or tracing the copywork from The Complete Writer on Big Chief paper using crayons. Yes, the almost seven yr.old who was writing book reports (and needs to study spelling and grammar) insists on "doing school" beside his sister using crayons on kindergarten paper. I'm hoping this will make it easier later. Maybe, by practicing listening to the stories togeather, and practicing not fighting over the crayons, later I can teach my daughter in the morning, let them listen to me read while coloring in the middle, and teach my son in the afternoon.

DD6

Language Arts : She's reading mostly Sonlight's 4th grade readers at the moment, will go where she leads though

: Own spelling - she is mostly a phonetic speller and knows a lot of rules so working on the Dolch words that she does not know in a phonetic                                                         way since she will use these words a lot.

: Writing - Just working on stamina as she is churning out her own writing and we just work from there - teaching any punctuation that comes up, paragraphing as she writes enough and so on. May switch to Bob Jones writing and grammar grade 3 if her stamina improves and she needs it as we have it available

: Grammar - grammar land for now. Will decide more when that is done.

: Literature: I have a lot of books around to read to her, but have to somehow stop her asking for others before I can choose as I am getting hoarse by the end of the day if I have to read too many - and while she is capable of reading many of them, she loves being read to and needs someone to read the classics to her.

Math : Life Of Fred - she is just finishing Cats now, so will just keep going.

: Singapore 2a/b - she is busy learning multiplication facts so once those are down things may speed up - will have to see.

Science: BFSU1 - I think we will finish this this year some time and then decide further

History: SOTW 2

Gymnastics: She is doing well here, though it is turning into a lesson in social skills since she struggles with the inattention of the kids in her group. 

Swimming: Need to work on strokes - it is getting a bit colder now though so this will be the end of the years job.            

I think she now knows how to tie her shoelaces - she hates wearing shoes at all so this has been a battle and can only be done in midwinter!   

DD2

Is blending and reading some. Starting early phonics - she can blend cvc words so far. She seems more keen on phonics than the elder who learnt mostly by sight - my younger needs more of a combination.

Gymnastics and Swimming

Math: counting to 20 and beyond, playing with numbers and starting addition word problems (none of this written of course)

Learning to use scissors.

Still potty training - sigh.

5 months on:

DD6 - is now on LOF Honey so we just keep moving, she should be through Singapore 2B soon and we will probably move to 3A - I have had ideas of bringing Beast Academy in here, but importing it could be very expensive. 

DD is reading more independently now, so what she reads to me is being more researched to teach foreign words and other reading skills that stay away from literature study for now - I still just want her to enjoy what she reads and that seems to be working.

Writing is taking more of our time now - she started cursive recently, is doing her own creative writing still along with narrations and using a mix of currciula for grammar and writing skills. She is enjoying basic editing too.

Still busy with grammarland. Her spelling seems to be taking off and she is becoming more of a sight speller - I have been surprised at words she "just knows". We have covered most phonetic spelling patterns now and will do the remaining ones and then possibly move to dictation - not sure yet.

Science and History remain the same. She is working towards possibly starting competitive gymnastics next year - she will be evaluated later this year. She started recorder recently and continues chess. Too cold to swim now.

DD3 has shown interest in writing so is learning letter formation. She loves free drawing and is drawing people, houses and animals with a lot of detail for her age. She has started reading many of Sonlight's grade 1 readers now - she is picking up words faster than I can teach her the phonics (at her age I leave her if she doesn't want to so phonics has to be squeezed in during read aloud time or when she reads to me)

She has seen a paeditrician and is on a appetite stimulant as she eats very little and is well below 0% on the growth curve. She is also in speech therapy as despite all her knowledge of phonics she cannot pronounce many sounds (c, w, l, r and all blends) She is also doing gymnastics and has joined her sister at chess - she may get the pieces moving correctly by the end of the year as it is coming faster now that she realises games have rules. We are still doing tons of read alouds - she asks for stories and loves to retell them when I am finished reading them in a fair amount of detail.

I don't want to say it and doom it, but we may just have succeeded with potty training!

Okay, this is an older thread, but since the new grade at the public school starts here in two weeks, then I guess I should plan something. We ended up doing a summer break so it is going to take us a while to get into a schedule. And really that is my main goal--getting DS used to a schedule. We free wheel everything, which is good to some degree but I am pretty sure we are way past the degree to which it is good. DS and I need more self-discipline.

First grade going on sixth ;)

Handwriting- need to work on more. He is wanting to learn cursive. Already have HWT cursive, so I might pull it out. Pair this up with spelling practice-start going through spelling in a more systematic way.

Math- finish off last 8 chapters of LoF Decimals and Percents. Then go back and finish SM5. Do what BA we can. By end of year expect to be done with elementary math and ready for Pre-a. But not in a hurry, really want to make sure he is ready for Pre-a before we hit it as I wants to do Aops. No shortage of books we can work through. Lots of CWP problems still sitting around.

LA- start MCT town. Start some sort of dictation, longer writing projects. Read and analyze one or two great books. Read everything else just for fun and do a lot of it! Lots of good read alouds- at least one a month. Goal- start him writing creatively.

History- we just listen to the Jim Weiss SOTW and he likes to read the books on his own.

Science- read through a physics and chem book we have. (RS4K). Thinking about The Elements by McHenery. Lots of questioning and experiments mostly instigated by DS. Watching Mythbusters! (Does that count?)

Extras--Piano, hiking, swim, etc depending on the time of year.

Oh yes, and Minecraft, Scratch and computer programming (just beginning) with dad.

Did I forget any major subjects?

My year includes going through Aops pre-a to prepare for the math before DS gets there as well as trying to read more for myself.

Since OP mentioned asynchronous in the thread title (apologies OP, I do understand it might not be what you really meant), these are the areas I really feel we should be working on at home. The absent-mindness is past hilarious right now and I'm only half joking. :) Not sure if we will complete any successfully:

1. Sarcasm 101 -- how to detect sarcasm thrown your way and what to do about it. Bunny trails will include The Artful Comeback and How To Read People.

2. Hold On to Your Pens! -- how to keep your pens, erasers, rulers etc on YOUR desk, NOT the carpet/ floor. How to save your parents' money by not constantly donating said stationery (knowingly or unknowingly) to other students in an IRL class.

Love it!!!  This is part of standard package around here. :lol:   Seriously, though, we discuss and work on the above  a  lot!!

My dd5 will be kindergarten age this Fall.

Math: she's currently halfway through Singapore 1a, with TB, WB, IP, and CWP, but she complains that it is too "babyish" (except for CWP, that never gets complaints), so I am trying to work up the gumption for more acceleration. I might try just dropping the workbook, unless she seems like she needs a little more practice on a topic.

Language Arts: For phonics she is plodding along steadily through OPG, which is coming easier and easier these days. For handwriting she's doing Pictures in Cursive Primer, which is finally no longer an ordeal. (After begging me for the book, she started and discovered that cursive is not as easy for her as printing, which resulted in huge temper tantrums.). For Literature, just lots of read-alouds and audio books.

Music: She is working her way through Pianimals Phonics 4 Piano, largely independently. My job these days mostly comes down to pointing out occasional corrections she needs to make and forcing her to move on to the next song--she is such a perfectionist, getting her to attempt a song she hasn't played before is a huge ordeal. There is defiance followed by weeping and wailing that it is too hard, she can't do it--and then when I finally get her to begin, she generally only makes about three mistakes on her first attempt. After the first couple of days of starting a new song, she is back to skipping merrily over to the piano without being reminded.

She's telling me she wants to start up violin again, too, but I'm not sure. I hate to tell her no when we have the instrument and I have the know-how, but trying to teach her was such an ordeal last time.

Dd3 (4 in Nov) is preschool I guess, since she's technically not old enough for Pre-K. Her work is 100% optional.

Math: She will finish Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2 within the next month it looks like, and I think we will start Miquon Orange at that point. I think it will work well for her and I would rather not have the girls working out of the same book.

Language Arts: We are currently going through CVC words in OPG for the 4th time, because she insists on getting her "reading cuddle" every day, but gets overwhelmed when we move past CVC words. It's coming so easily to her now, I'm really hoping this will be the last time before she's ready to move on. Also lots of read-alouds and audio books.

Music: I am beginning to teach her the violin with Suzuki methods. Hoping we will move somewhere with a teacher before she passes where I'm capable of teaching, but right now she's just working towards twinkling.

Both Girls Together:

Science: A bird unit study and BFSU 1 at a casual pace.

History: Continuing to work through SOTW 1 at a casual pace.

Spanish: Every day while the boys have nap time the girls watch Salsa or a kids' show in Spanish. They've picked up quite a bit of vocabulary and basic phrases from this. I would love to sign them up with a Skype tutor, but that's not feasible right now. I'm not sure whether to attempt to do something more formal or not.

I guess I'll pipe in:

3rd Grade:

FLL 3, CAP W&R and MAYBE WWE3

Reading good books

WRTR

Prima Latina

Beast Academy 3D-4?

Piano

4H

1st grade:

FLL1/2, WWE 1

Stretching into harder chapter books

WRTR

Singapore 2B and Beast Academy 3A-3B

Swim Team

Older two afternoons:

SOTW 3 or Ellen McHenry's The Elements

Kindy (this is my very visual learner):

Funnix

Sonlight readers

Handwriting

Miquon

PreK (because this kid wil DEMAND it):

Handwriting

Letter crafts

K and PreK together in afternoons:

FIAR

And I DO think that all sounds a bit crazy...