Menu

What are your 2nd grade plans?

momma2three

There I thought I was jumping the gun in already planning 2nd grade, but all the threads about next year show that I'm not the only one in the February doldrums!

Here's what I'm looking at:

General English - Galore Park Junior English 1.  And, despite my thread last week about how I want to drop it, I might actually continue on to Growing With Grammar 2.   :blushing:  It's just simple, and I like that it gets into sentence diagramming in 3rd grade.  And the price is right.

Handwriting - Continuing with Zaner-Bloser

Spelling - Maybe continue with Spelling Workout B... she's such a bad speller, we might need more intervention.

Math - Continue with MEP 2 and Math Mammoth 2, until we burn out.  And do more Life of Fred as time allows.

Thinking about adding in a Logic book, but not sure what.

Science - Galore Park Junior Science 1.  I'll probably buy REAL Science Odyssey's Earth and Space book too, with the best of intentions, and then never crack it.

History - History Odyssey Level 1 - Medieval History.  I'm trying to figure out how to work Galore Park's Junior History 1 into next year too, because I really love it.  But it's ancient history, which we're doing this year.  But it's also not terribly long, so maybe we'll do it over the summer or something?

Latin - We started Song School Latin 1 in December, so we'll finish that up, and then move into Song School Latin 2.

French - DD will continue to work with a French tutor every week.

Extracurriculars: Piano lessons, Girl Scouts, dance

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tentative!

Reading- Spelling- Writing- Logic of English D and E (assuming it is published next year)

Math- MiF 2

Grammar- Sentence Family

Compostion- Bravewriter- or maybe just mom designed

Science- tag along interest based

History- Tag along american history- no specific plans yet

I can't believe dd6 will be in 2nd grade next year.  My plans for her are:

history/science Konos vol 1 with ds10 which will cover most of her history and science studies

math MUS beta

Language arts R&S spelling 2; R&S grammar 2; WWE 2; HWOT 2nd grade book; AAR 1(finish) and start AAR 2; LLATL red

French Mission monde 1

And of course random lapbooks, topics, etc of interest as the year goes on

Here's what I've got figured out so far, though of course it could change between now and July:

Language Arts

Language Lessons through Literature - Level 2 (incorporating WWE guidelines for narration, etc)

Spelling: Logic of English Essentials

Handwriting: Pentime cursive

Lots of independent reading and read-alouds

Math

RightStart C

History

SOTW2

Science

BFSU, plus some nature study and trips to the zoo (we will have a family pass to an awesome zoo next year!)

Art

Art lessons using Drawing with Children (DH is a trained artist, so he does this)

SCM Picture Study Portfolios

Music

Composer Study (I'm planning to do my own thing w/CD's and Mike Venezia biographies)

Piano Lessons

This will be my first time with a second grader and only my second year homeschooling, so my plans may be a little aggressive. Will cut back as necessary.

Language arts: 2nd grade Treasures, Easy Grammar 2 and FLL2.

Phonics: continue ETC. On level 3 now, so would like to do 4 through 6

Spelling: continue AAS. On last step of AAS 1 this week, so would like to get through level 2, and begin level 3

Writing: writing strands 2

Vocabulary: try Wordly wise book 2, continuing on to 3 if like it and have time.

Handwriting: HWOT 2

Logic: we're just finishing Lollipop Logic 1, so finish levels 2 and 3. Begin Logic Safari if time.

Math: finishing MM 1B by end of February, so would like to get through at least level 2B, hopefully start 3A. Continue LOF.

Science: use the Mcgraw hill 2 book as a spine and supplement with bill Nye, magic Schoolbus, read and find out science.

History: finish SOTW 1 in August and change gears for a year of American history using Beautiful Feet, Liberty Kids and Living books.

Social Studies: studies weekly and time for kids, geography as it comes up in our reading.

Spanish: continue Salsa series. Add more worksheet based vocabulary using Teach Them Spanish level 2

Latin: I bought Prima Latina but am now considering waiting until 3rd grade.

Extras: cub scouts, piano, gymnastics, rock climbing and skiing.

As of right now:

Language:FLL2

Math: Horizons 2

History: Story of the World 1

writing: WWE2

Science: not sure yet. We are using God's Design for Life at the moment, but I think I may change next year

Spelling: Spelling workout

Latin: Prima Latina

Bible: God's Great Covenant

We're doing 2nd grade right now:

Math: MM3

Writing: WWE2

Spelling: AAS2/AAS 3

Grammar: we did GWG last year and she liked it but retained nothing. This year we've done some random stuff, some Sentence Family, and lately First Whole Book of Diagrams,which has been super fun and has been eye-opening for all of us really.

History: SOTW1. We started this last year and have really taken our our time enjoying supplemental books. Trying to wrap up now so we can do SOTW2.

Geography: we've done quite a quite a bit of this already so this year I just gave her the Complete Book of Geography as a supplement once a week. She likes it.

Science: RSO Earth and Space

Both Spanish (Learnables) and Art (those homeschool art DVDs from HSBC) were a pretty total loss.

We also did dance, gymnastics, and Girl Scouts. Starting ASL class next week.

I feel like I change my mind on math every day, but plans are coming into place. 

Math: plan has been MM or Singapore for grade 2 w/Miquon & Primary Grade Challenge Math. We have enjoyed RS, but in my mind I always envisioned transitioning to Singapore after B. I'm pretty sure that's based on things I've read here, but hey, maybe we'll buy C after all.

Language arts: LLtL2, selected lessons from CHoLL, and Logic of English Foundations E(?). We're due for D in March, but I'm not sure when it'll be out. If we outpace the publication schedule we may move on to LOE-Essentials or return to OPGTR. 

History: SOTW

Science: BFSU (my hope is to plan it over the summer), and topics/videos from The Happy Scientist.

I think we'll stick with Classical Conversations for another year, as well, with which we'll cover geography and some light American History.

Extracurricular: continuing piano lessons, gymnastics

Language arts:  AAS 3, Seton 2 HW (Zaner-Bloser), GWG 2, AAR 3, IEW (either the Bible Heroes themed book or following the TWSS), Literature (mostly from the Reading Roadmaps from Center for Lit)

Math:  MM, possibly adding RS

History:  Connecting with History, year 2

Memory work for Bible, Catechism, Latin, Math, History, Science, Geography, Poetry:  CC Memory

Science: Apologia Zoology 3, Anatomy

Rosetta Stone Italian

Art: Meet the Masters

Math:

- Singapore 3A/3B w/ CWP & IP

- Hands 0n Equasions

LA:

- Jot it Down (Bravewriter)

- IEW Bible Heros (Co-op class)

- MCT Island

- Good lit, some with lit guides. 

- Peterson Directed Handwriting

- Apples & Pears spelling

History/Geography:

- STOW 2

- Trail Guide to World Geo (Co-op class) 

Science:

- Physics (encyclopedias, library books, experiment kits, notebooking)

Latin:

- Prima Latin

- Minimus Secundus

Greek:

- Code Cracker Greek (just learning the alphabet)

Music: 

- Piano lessons

- Great Composers (Confessions of a homeschooler)

Art: 

- Meet the Masters

Character/Religion:

- Faith and Life (I think)

- First Communion prep

- BF Character Through Literature

Misc:

- Scratch (with grandpa)

- Lego We-Do (Co-op class)

Math: CLE

Language Arts: Language Lessons Through Literature, still figuring out spelling

History: Currently planning TOG for dd, so I will include him in that

Science: Still deciding

Latin: Song School 2

Bible: Memory work, reading through The Golden Bible

Art: outside community class

Logic: MindBenders

Does anyone know of any open and go art history curriculum meant to be done alongside 2nd grade Medieval History?  It seems like something someone would have put together, either on a blog or to sell.

Have you checkedf out harmony fine arts? It is grouped by the trivium and does not only art but composer study too.

So far, its looking like:

Math

Singapore 2A/2B

Singapore CWP 1

LA

Abeka Language 2

Literature ???

Building Spelling Skills B

Writing with Prayer

History

Beautiful Feet Early American

Science

Apologia Astronomy

Language

Prima Latina OR SSL 2

Core: Portraits of Ameican Girlhood and Adv spread over 2 years (hist, lit, some lang arts, geography, science, Bible, and cooking / crafts, etc)

Lang. : Primary Language Lessons, Spelling by Sound and Structure, HWOT 2nd grade print book, some writing assignments from POAG

Math: Singapore Math 1A / 1B

Art: Draw Write Now, I Can Do All Things, Come Look books

Music- Intro to Tchaikovsky and patriotic songs

Spanish- La Clase Divertida level III

My dd will be in 2nd grade in the fall. Her lineup is very similar to my older ds, but it is helpful to write it out. I love these threads. :) We are planning:

• Math: Saxon 2
  • Grammar: Abeka 2
  • Spelling: Spell to Write and Read
  • Writing: An intro to IEW, possibly some WWE since I already have it
  • History: SOTW 1 & 2 - from Rome to Middle Ages, with an emphasis in church history
  • Science: Jay Wile's Science in the Beginning
  • We'll continue working on reading
  • I'm contemplating if I want to start cursive with her this next year or wait until 3rd grade. I'll probably just let her lead, since I'm going to just be using StartWrite to teach her myself anyway.
  • Spanish: Getting Started with Spanish
  • US Geography via co-op class
  • Continued piano lessons
  • Possible outside art class

Fun!  DS will be in 2nd grade this fall. 

Math- Singapore Math 3 + CWP

Language Arts (we are bilingual, so this gets a little crazy...)

WWE2

McGuffey 3rd Reader

Bravewriter style freewrite Fridays

French/English grammar through diagramming and parsing (homemade)

MCT's poetry and vocab books

French dictation and spelling

French readers

Homemade German (as foreign language)

Science- finishing up BFSU1 and going to 2

History SOTW 3

Art- Atelier

I'm hoping this year to really move on to independent reading, both of fun stuff and assigned reading that can be done without me hovering!  I'll also move to marking problems wrong in math books (currently I just erase and he fixes, now I'll mark, he'll erase and fix).  I'm also hoping for more writing, but will not push on that one. 

Continuing in a classical Christian university-model school 2 days/week that uses:
Language Arts: a modified version of Shurley English, Spelling Power, VP literature selections, copywork, some IEW, cursive
Math: Saxon 3
History: VP Old Testament & Ancient Egypt
Science: Units based on the days of creation
Latin: Song School Latin 2
Music, Art & P.E.

This year I've been adding in copywork and spelling with Reading and Language Lessons Through Literature, but I don't know how much I'll add next year. I'm reading the Writer's Jungle right now and am trying to change the atmosphere about writing in general, so I'm looking forward to trying new things in that arena. ETA: I decided to add in U.S. history from LBC gr. 2 as well.

Oh, man. These threads for next year are stressing me out! I haven't even started thinking about it. But here's what I do sort of know for second grade.

Math:

- Horizons 2

- SM Challenging Word Problems

- Maybe Miquon Red and Blue

LA

- LLTL 2 (we are really enjoying level 1)

- Jot It Down

- Wheeler's Elementary Speller (I seriously love this book!)

- cursive (probably just with StartWrite)

- some reading list that I need to put together

- hoping to start a little book club

History/Geography

- selections from SOTW 2, mostly supplemental reading with notebooking and a few projects

- EM Daily Geography plus a few country studies

Science

- continuing with our interest-led science and notebooking

- nature study: I'm hoping to start a nature club and use The Nature Connection, by Clare Walker Leslie

Composer study

- Classical Kids CDs, Venezia books, and notebooking. This seems to come very naturally around here, because dd LOVES it. She says she wants to be a composer when she grows up. :)

Art

- I need a plan. We haven't been good at this this year, aside from lots of free art with our abundant art supplies. I love how creative dd is, but I do want to broaden her horizons.

Foreign language

- Can't decide what we're doing here, but my plan is to do SOMETHING. ;)

Stress! I didn't realize people were already making plans for next year!

I'm coming to terms with my son loving worksheets, so we do a mix of that plus sitting on the couch reading. Here are the plans, for now. 

LA: FLL 2, Language Foundations 2, Daily 6-Trait Writing 2, 240 Vocabulary Words Kids Need to Know 2, Spelling Power

Math: Singapore 2, plus Intensive Practice

History/Geography: SOTW 2 and Complete Book of US History

Science: Daily Science 2

Logic/Reasoning: Mindbenders, Balance Benders, Analogies, Building Critical Thinking Skills, etc

plus lots of supplemental books and videos

My ds will be in second grade next year. My plans so far, subject to change of course ;-)

Phonics: AAR 3

Writing and Grammar: Voyages in English grade 2 along with some of my own stuff

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser. He REALLY wants to learn cursive, but I think he may need another year of printing practice first. I will see where he is at the end of this year and decide.

Spelling: AAS 2 and possibly start AAS 3

Spanish: he speaks fluent Spanish (we are a bilingual family) so I am planning to begin working through some basic Spanish readers and encourage some writing in Spanish next year.

Math: Singapore 2B and 3A

Science: I am planning to do my own lesson plans for science. we used RSO life this year and liked it, but I had to hunt down books on the topics anyway, and I did a lot of swapping out experiments because I just found cooler stuff on my own, or didn't have the particular materials they asked for, or we couldn't get or find the animals they wanted us to use because I live in Hawaii and we have different animals here and they won't ship bugs etc to us. So I am feeling confident to take the plunge this year. I will be starting to plan in more detail over the next few months.

History: SOTW 1

Art: Atlier level 2

He also does gymnastics year round, soccer in the fall and the spring, and baseball in the winter.

My ds will be in second grade next year. My plans so far, subject to change of course ;-)

Phonics: AAR 3

Writing and Grammar: Voyages in English grade 2 along with some of my own stuff

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser. He REALLY wants to learn cursive, but I think he may need another year of printing practice first. I will see where he is at the end of this year and decide.

Spelling: AAS 2 and possibly start AAS 3

Spanish: he speaks fluent Spanish (we are a bilingual family) so I am planning to begin working through some basic Spanish readers and encourage some writing in Spanish next year.

Math: Singapore 2B and 3A

Science: I am planning to do my own lesson plans for science. we used RSO life this year and liked it, but I had to hunt down books on the topics anyway, and I did a lot of swapping out experiments because I just found cooler stuff on my own, or didn't have the particular materials they asked for, or we couldn't get or find the animals they wanted us to use because I live in Hawaii and we have different animals here and they won't ship bugs etc to us. So I am feeling confident to take the plunge this year. I will be starting to plan in more detail over the next few months.

History: SOTW 1

Art: Atlier level 2

He also does gymnastics year round, soccer in the fall and the spring, and baseball in the winter.

Do you like Voyages in English?  I am constantly on the fence about purchasing it.

I think we may start learning cursive this summer, when the academic load is lighter.  I'm planning to teach it myself without a book.  Other than that, we stick pretty closely to TWTM.

Bible -- BIble Study Guide for All Ages Unit 3 & Intermediate Worksheets

Math -- Saxon 2

WWE 2 Workbook

FLL 2

Spelling Workouts C / D

SOTW Vol. 2 (I think I'll get the downloadable activity book this year instead of not getting around to making copies every week)

Science -- narrations / illustrations based on the spines suggested in TWTM plus various experiments

Piano lessons, year 2 (outsourced, as I don't play)

Stuff I have bought/will buy but know in my heart of hearts we'll never get around to doing:

Drawing With Children

Family Time Fitness

any kind of music survey

Do you like Voyages in English?  I am constantly on the fence about purchasing it.

I do, and even better my ds ENJOYS it (he even said during a writing lesson last week "You know mom, I am actually liking writing now." This was HUGE for my kiddo.  We are about half way through the first grade book right now. It is really workbookish and more of a traditional approach to writing. I think it explains the writing process really well. The grammar part is nice too, and I like that they are all in one book for me =) Also, the lessons are short and sweet. The work book is cute and colorful. It doesn't seem to be an overwhelming amount of writing for him, which is nice.  The font they use to write the example answers is kind of weird, but we just ignore it and he writes his answers in without trying to copy how they made their letters. Also, its very open and go. We do it 4 days a week and on our 5th day I do other mommy made writing "projects" or games to change it up a bit. Let me know if you have any other specific questions about it. :001_smile:

ETA: I only bought the student work book and we have been fine with that. I went to their website and downloaded the "Daily Edits" and "Story Starters" to use with it. I haven't felt the need for a teachers manual at all.  We do the daily edits pretty much every day, the story starters I do when I feel a lesson didn't have a ton of writing and he can handle it. If he already did a lot of writing in the actual lesson then we skip it.

Don't know of any, but that would be really awesome. Something a bit more than just crafts. Something that taught actual techniques (mosaic, stained glass, etc.). Could totally kill two birds with one stone. Great idea...get working on it! Hah!! ;)

Does anyone know of any open and go art history curriculum meant to be done alongside 2nd grade Medieval History?  It seems like something someone would have put together, either on a blog or to sell.

I am currently deciding between MFW Adventures and this:

History - Story of the World 1 with activity book

English - FLL

Writing - WWE

Math - Singapore 1B (should be there by 2nd grade...maybe 2A??)

Science - RSO Life

Bible - Telling God's Story 1

Handwriting - learn cursive, nothing formal

Reading - Rod and Staff Grade 2 Reading and Phonics

If you've done adventures and any of these other books, please weigh in!! thanks!!

You might take a look at

Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary School Children by Marianne C. Saccardi.

This book used to get a lot of favorable discussion years ago, but then it went out of print.  The second edition was reissued in 2006.

Regards,

Kareni

You might take a look at Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary School Children by Marianne C. Saccardi.

This book used to get a lot of favorable discussion years ago, but then it went out of print. The second edition was reissued in 2006.

Regards,

Kareni

This looks really neat. I wish there was a trial period for e-books. In a bookstore, I'd spend hours flipping through books before settling on (usually) several. The first few chapters that some books allow usually isn't enough to know. Thirty minutes, I could skim through the book and make the buy/return decision.

ETA: i may end up buying it. Must resist.

Since first grade has been working out so well, we'll be using the full Memoria Press package for second grade, with a couple things added and swapped around:

Latin: Latina Christiana

Religion: Bible stories, prayers, First Baltimore Catechism

Language Arts: MP Grade 2 Literature, New American Cursive, MP phonics as needed

Math: Rod and Staff 2, RayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Primary Arithmetic

Science, history, geography, art, music, poetry: MP Grade 2 Enrichment              

This looks really neat. I wish there was a trial period for e-books. In a bookstore, I'd spend hours flipping through books before settling on (usually) several. The first few chapters that some books allow usually isn't enough to know. Thirty minutes, I could skim through the book and make the buy/return decision.

ETA: i may end up buying it. Must resist.

Is inter-library loan an option for you? 

Or there is always purchasing a used copy of the first edition.  I see some copies for 15 cents plus shipping on Amazon.  See here.

Regards,

Kareni

This last year I planned way too little for my youngest, so now I'm second guessing my choices for grade 2. This is what I'm looking at anyway.

Beast Academy 3a and b I considered 4 but everyone here is saying it's pretty advanced, I'm wondering if I'd be best to buy just 3a and try it out before I get anything else. I can't find placement tests.

Animals and Their Worlds by Winter Promise, but I would really love to hear more from others before I jump into that one

RS4K Biology Level 1

MCT Grammar Island (I wish he would just love FLL as much as the other two do and as much as I do)

Sequential Spelling

Vocabulary Cartoons

Handwriting Cursive (self made)

EM Daily Geography 3 (he finishes it in a few months time)

Puzzle Ball Globe

R&S Social Studies 2 (again I need to look at this one more before I decide)

SOTW 2

Q-bitz

Viking Brainstorm

Beginning Word Roots

Pathway Readers for Grade 3

A variety of readers that line up with our history and science as well as a few extra literature pieces that I think he'll enjoy or will stretch him.

I think I might be missing something, or perhaps overdoing it somewhere. I know he's only 7, but after this year, I'm unsure of what I'm doing or shooting for with him.

I am currently deciding between MFW Adventures and this:

History - Story of the World 1 with activity book

English - FLL

Writing - WWE

Math - Singapore 1B (should be there by 2nd grade...maybe 2A??)

Science - RSO Life

Bible - Telling God's Story 1

Handwriting - learn cursive, nothing formal

Reading - Rod and Staff Grade 2 Reading and Phonics

If you've done adventures and any of these other books, please weigh in!! thanks!!

We just started 2nd grade last week. :)

I haven't done MFW ADV yet, but have it on the shelf. I was planning to start 2nd grade with ADV. But instead we're doing SOTW 2, and ADV next year. We did SOTW 1 last year. I just wanted to suggest that you consider doing SOTW 2 instead of 1, since MFW 1 supposedly covers a lot of the Bible, and maybe that would be enough ancient history for you. Then you could do SOTW 2 and then maybe go into ADV. Just a thought.

The rest of our curriculum for 2nd grade is on my blog, here: 2014 curriculum.  ABeka phonics, AAS2-3, SOTW2, WWE2, FLL2, MUS Beta, Apologia Swimming Creatures, piano, music and art appreciation, and I Can Do All Things. And some other fun extras as we have time are listed on the blog page.

I think we have decided on:

Science: God's Design for Life and Beautiful Feet History of Science

History: Beautiful Feet Early American History

Geography: Beautiful Feet Geography through Literature

Spelling: All About Spelling 2

Bible: Precept for Kids How to Study your Bible and God what is your name

Handwriting/Reading: nothing formal, done through notebooking and reading chapter books

Art/Music: potentially a coop class or two

Wwe 2

Fll 2

Undecided for spelling.

Saxon math 2

New Testament/Rome/Greece veritas press parent taught for history with related read alouds

Christian kids explore biology

Undecided geography- maybe just country studies

Old story new for bible

Putting off Latin for another year.

Bowmar's for music and how to teach art (?)

Extracurriculars- swim lessons, looking to see if our local 4-h has the option for 5-7 year olds to join, otherwise we will wait for next year. :)

DS1 will be in second!

History/Geography/Lit: TOG year 1 LG

Math: Singapore 2 & Miquon
Phonics/Grammar: Phonics Road Finish 1 and Start 2
Writing: WWE Finish 1 and Start 2
Science: Noeo Biology 1 second half and then start Chem
Spanish: La Clase
Logic: Lollipop logic 3
handwriting: HWT 2nd
Music: Cello
PE: Swim and Dance

DS2's second grade lineup:

Math: CLE Math 300, Beast Academy (probably 3C/3D)

Reading: R&S Reading 2, R&S Phonics 2

Spelling: R&S Spelling 2

Writing: Maybe WWE1, if his reading has improved enough.

History: TOG Y1 LG

Science: Finish Science in the Beginning and start Science in Ancient Times

We are planning...

L.A.

LLTL 2

AAS 2/ start 3

McGuffey 4/5

Maths

Singapore 2A/2B

History

SOTW 2

Science

BFSU

Art

Artistic Pursuits 1

Drawing with Children

Music

Song of the Week!

Recorder from the Beginning 3

Easiest Piano Course by John Thompson 2

Changed my mind...edited 05-19-2014.

We are starting fresh with a lot of new curriculum this year. Wish us luck!

DD will be a young seven-year-old when we start second grade. We are ahead one year in the science/history rotation.

Grammar/Literature/General LA 

• Easy Grammar 2   > Rod & Staff English, Grade 2
  • Language Lessons through Literature 2

Reading & Comprehension

• The Elson Readers + Teacher's Guide (Starting with Primer and then continuing on after that.)
  • General reading

Spelling

• All About Spelling 2, 3 (Whatever we're on by then.)

Writing/Composition

• Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing, Grade 2   > Good English, Oral and Written, Book 1 by William Harris Elson
  • The Modern Speller by Van Wagenen for dictation

Vocabulary

• Evan-Moor Word A Day, Grade 2

Math

• Singapore Math 2B, 3A + all the trimmings (Again, whatever we're on by then.)
  • Math Mammoth topic books (for review)
  • Miquon Math (Starting with orange book this summer.)   > Not sure we're actually going to get to this.

Spanish

• Song School Spanish (Continuing on.)

History

• History Odyssey, Early Modern (I wanted to try something different, but nothing else is working out.)

Science

• Chemistry (I have no earthly idea...struggling to find what I want.)

Logic

• ??

Art/Music

• ?? (We may continue on with Atelier...not sure.)   > Home Art Studio, First Grade (Will be using several lessons as history projects.) Also, SCM Picture Study Portfolios (Giotto)
  • ?? (Would like to add something for music.)   > Story of Orchestra by Robert Levina

Extracurricular

• Gymnastics
  • Girl Scouts: Brownies (We earn a lot of badges at home.)

Here's what I am thinking about so far for my DS who will be a 2nd grader in the fall:

Math:  RightStart D (and probably starting E before the year is out) + Beast Academy + extra word problems from CWP or ?? (DS is my math guy, and so far he flies through whatever I put in front of him!)

Spelling: Finish LoE Essentials, then not sure.  I'm not sure he is quite ready for the LoE advanced lists.  Maybe lists/dictation from the Dictation Resource Book?

History: Tag along with older sister on MOH 1

Handwriting: Continue learning/practicing cursive, probably with some Bible verse copywork

Writing: Totally not sure.  I think I want to work toward DS being ready for CAP W&R Fable in 3rd, but not sure what I want to use to get there

Science: Not sure -- I want something i can combine DS and DD to some extent.  I'll be taking a look at Wile's Science in the Ancient World when that comes out.

Lit: Read alouds + some required reading (alone if he is ready for it or outloud with me if not) -- I'll make my own lists using various resources

We're also in a 2x/month co-op and 4H.  DS is starting Tae Kwon Do soon, so he'll probably still be doing that in the fall.

My oldest will be in 2nd next year.

MFW Adventures for science, history, music, writing

Reading-HOD DITHOR books (not program) level 3 or/and AAR 4 cause I love that company so darn much!

Spelling- AAS 3-4

English/writing- MFW's new rewritten PLL

Math-Singapore 2a/2b with cwp or ip, along with Splash math app

I can't wait!

My oldest will also be in 2nd next year. 

This year has been going well, so mostly just continuing on:

LA: Finish ETC, at current pace probably books 7 and 8

FLL 2, WWE 1, all adapted for writing delays due to cerebral palsy

Keep working on fine motor pre-writing skills and hand strength exercises, and stamina for handwriting, possibly start typing or other assistive technology so her writing development is not held back by physical disability

Read alouds and independent reading, looking at Sonlight/MP lists now

Math: Continue with RS C, most likely start D mid year

History: SOTW2

Science: interest led, possibly RSO 

Art/Music: not sure yet

We will keep going with occupational and physical therapy as well.

If anyone has any experience with overcoming handwriting challenges, I would love to hear about it. I think the best we can do is work patiently and hope for incremental progress, but that is easier said than done!

This is my 4th time through the 2nd grade so I'm going to vary it up a bit for me....

Math - Singapore 2A/B with CWP/IP 1

English - FLL 2, WWE 2, AAS 3. lots and lots of reading

History - Geography from CC cycles 1 & 2, maybe

Science - all the kits we have laying around

Spanish - GSWS

Art - units on drawing, painting, sculpting, knitting, cooking, and ????

Music - violin lessons

PE - swimming

Here is the current planĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ ;)

Personal Bible Study: Notgrass Drawing to LearnĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ also have BSGFAA- might take turns weekly

Bible/History/Science: Heart of Dakota Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Reading: HOD's 3rd Gr. Dithor books

Spelling: All About Spelling 3

Math: Finish up Singapore 2b, then onto 3a/b.  Challenging Word Problems 2 Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Also have Beast Academy 3 comingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ We'll see how that works in...

Logic: Logic Safari 2

Penmanship: She will finish up cursive this year, so I may not do any.??

Art: Artistic Pursuits 2

PE: jazz, ballet, tap

Other: Weekly Co-op, American Heritage Girls

HOPEFULLY

Music: Use some free piano lessons online and start her?, Reading about Composers

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

I love these threads!  Bored to tears with finishing this year, looking forward to adding in more fun things in 2nd!

Reading: Finish OPGTR

Handwriting: Z-B 2C

Writing: Probably start IEW

Spelling: R&S or AAS

Grammar: R&S 3

History: VP NTGR

Science: Not sure yet - we did ES Bio this year and I thought it was really boring getting through the animals section, looking for something a bit more varied for next year

Bible: TGS 2

Latin: Prima Latina (if the workload for the other stuff allows)

Art: HAS grade 1

Music: Piano

Sports: Soccer