Menu

world in ancient times: living books and study guides

Hi--

Thanks to the sale on most of these volumes at the OUP site, I got the volumes I was missing so I'm planning on using them for history next year. But, I have two questions:

- I'm sure someone already has lists of corresponding living books (non-fiction, historical fiction both). Can you point me to them?

- Are the teaching and student guides worth it? We prefer not to use workbooks, but these felt meatier than that when I looked at the previews online. I just couldn't get a good sense as to their true value.

Thanks!

We used the student guide for the first one, and it was good, but overkill in my opinion. The chapters are only 5-7 pages and there was about 1/2 an hour worth of work or better for each chapter. If they had the assignments for 5 chapter reviews or something, it would have been better. About half way through, I started having her do just portions of it. For the second book, I am pre-reading and giving her a couple of questions per chapter to answer. I think this is going better and helping us get through the book in a more reasonable amount of time. I had hoped to get through 6 of the books this year, but we'll be lucky to get through 5, now.

• 3 years later...

this is an old topic but i am about to start our history this year medieval using the OUP books and was wondering if one can use the teacher guide only instead of the student workbook and the teacher guide , i am assuming the teacher guide will have everything in the student book with answer keys ?