Menu

AP Physics?

My DS is in 8th grade, he likes the smattering of Physics he has had so far in science classes. Should I look for a plan for him to take AP Physics C:  Mechanics (aka University Physics I) his Senior year in HS or is it best to take an Honors Physics in high school and take Calculus based Physics I and II in college?  He is on track to take Calculus his Junior year.

Any real life experiences?

(it seems like AP Physics B is a waste of money for a STEM major).

If he can only take AP mechanics and thus only possibly test out of one semester of physics in college, I'd be inclined to have my student take the entire physics sequence at that college from the beginning. I'd have him take the honors physics and then be well prepared for the calc based physics at the university.

AP Physics B would be a good preparation as well, but would not give credit for most STEM majors (not all; some fields like biology may only require algebra based physics as is the case at my school). But, he could take the class and simply not the test. I would not call it a "waste".

AP Physics B is definitely not a waste. It is a rigorous non-calc-based physics class, and it is GREAT preparation for calc-based college physics.

I have one science major and one engineering major, and both of them appreciated their background in science when they got to college, even though one didn't receive any credit for Physics B (regardless of the 5 on the exam) and one only received 3 units of general credit (regardless of the 5 on the exam). Despite the lack of credit, Physic B helped them to hit the ground running in their physics classes!

A STEM kid needs a physic class in high school, and for those students for whom the scheduling and/or the interest doesn't work for Physics C, I would STRONGLY recommend Physics B.

Be aware that the format for the B exam is changing next year. The College Board has decided that the B exam covered too much material, so it is breaking Physics B into TWO years...Physics 1 and Physics 2. I had planned to teach my son the B course (since I taught it for 9 years in a b&m school), but now I am leaning towards C...only because of the new format. This is for a definitely STEM-oriented kid who will begin the physics sequence at the beginning (Physics 1 for Scientists and Engineers) at whatever university he attends and with whatever score he makes on the AP exam (if he even takes it).

I would never consider B to be a waste of time. That course had so much value well beyond the possibility of college credit.

AP Physics B is definitely not a waste. It is a rigorous non-calc-based physics class, and it is GREAT preparation for calc-based college physics.

Sorry for not being clear I did not want to mean waste of time.  I meant paying for the AP B exam because my son would not get college credit for the majors I think he would be pursuing in the future.

Sorry for not being clear I did not want to mean waste of time.  I meant paying for the AP B exam because my son would not get college credit for the majors I think he would be pursuing in the future.

Yes, that would be a waste, if he takes the course his senior year.

For a student taking the course in an earlier year, it would still be useful to have the AP exam score for college admissions - but a senior year score will be pretty useless.

The only reason to pay for the AP Physics B exam is for colleges who want verification of mommy grades, ie. for Admissions, not credits.  (The class itself can be worthwhile, but the test won't do much for a STEM student)

Taking the AP Physics C (with or without the test) does not necessarily mean you cannot take Physics in college. (Do check with some likely colleges.  At my Alma Mater,USMA, and my dc's school, USAFA, you could choose.)  The two older dc did a second year of Physics, after calculus, but did not bother with the AP test because their school has its own placement tests (with a box to check if you want to test out of the class).  They chose to repeat both physics and calclulus, because they are the basis for so many required courses there.

Dd will occasionally send me a text telling me how useful something she learned in calc or physics has come in, that her classmates are having trouble with.