Menu

Online High School options (accred. doesn't matter)

Is there a list somewhere of online high school programs?  Not just classes here and there,  a whole online year of study program.  Actually, I am specifically looking for asynchronous ones.  

My ds is doing MFW this year for 9th and is doing OK, but not great.  I gave him a practice ACT test and, well, let's just say it was B.A.D.  His highest score was in science, his least favorite subject.  Granted, he is a terrible test taker, and we have done the tests over without time, and he did better.  I think he needs to understand that he is doing school to learn, not to get it done.  He is a very young freshman with no future plans, yet (except that he won't be in science; of this, he is sure)

I am considering giving this next year to an online program, to see if that helps his motivation.  

Any ideas?  Accreditation doesn't matter, as this year is already done and so it would only be for a max of 3 years.

Thanks,

K

You might look at Landry Academy since you said asynchronous and it doesn't have to be accredited.  They also offer 2 day live lab intensives in various cities around the country so you can get a ton of experience with science labs using actual lab equipment with a science based teacher over a very intense but apparently quite fun 2 day period.  They even have 2 day science retreats for moms trying to learn how to teach science..  The school IS from a more religious perspective, though, so that might affect whether this would be a good fit.  They have discounts, but as the year progresses the discounts get smaller for the following year's classes.  They do offer the option to buy "generic" credits at the discount price that you can then use to sign up for classes later (as long as the class you want hasn't closed).

There was a very recent thread (I think it was approximately 2 weeks ago) about Online school options. I don't remember if it is in the High School forum, or Middle School, or where, but, if you search, hopefully you can find it. Several people commented that it was excellent and should be pinned or something. It had a lot of different suggestions. GL