Menu

Dream Couch turned NIGHTMARE!!!

lifesadream83

So in March of 2012 we decided to put our tax return funds towards a new couch.  We were in dire need of one as I had given ours to my parents when we moved (military we do that alot).  So we were like well if we are going to buy lets get the "dream" why wait.  So I login to Pottery Barn and look at the slipcovered sectionals because I am OCD and need to be able to wash my sofa and I was looking at sectionals because the dream was simply the pottery barn grand sofa.  I thought sectional so that we get enough seating right.  My dumb non thinking bleepty bleep bought the linen ivory (basically white) one because it would match anything and it was on sale for 800$ less which meant lower shipping fees and taxes etc..... I figured my kid is almost 8 and fairly clean.... Well two days after delivery I find out I am pregnant!!!! seriously all I can think of was baby puke everywhere.  So for the rest of the time we were in NC the white couch stayed covered with a brown and red blanket.   Well here I am 2 years later cursing the day we bought it.... the cushions ribbing are now threadbare from washing, it doesn't stay clean longer than an hour (8 if I put the cover back on after washing it when everyone is in bed)  Did I mention it takes 3 -5 loads to wash all the covers... and of course you have to wash them all every time or the fade will be wonky!!!! 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I have had it with this couch!

So.... any recommendations? :D

I was right there with you a few years ago with the multiple loads for washing the slip covers, the threadbare condition, etc.. My husband and I just sprang for new slip covers for our sectional (Macy's). We sought out an upholsterer, picked our fabric, and voila...a new couch without the painful price tag. This couch is now going on 10 years (3 kiddos and 3 labs) but you wouldn't know it.

:-)

I could buy a new cover-> Cover for a PB couch is basically like walking into roomstore and walking away with a mid grade livingroom set (maybe) 1000$ before shipping tax and all that good stuff and I am not really sure that is the route I wanna go... the piping is coming out of the trim... that will most likely happen with the next one and 1000k every two years.. eeeeekkkkkkk

Dying it->  I have thought about it... And I am not sure how in the world I would make it all the same hue... if I wait til I move I will have a soaking tub... will it dye the tub ... that would be bad... what if the color doesn't set right... will my clothes change color?!?!??!  Do  I pay someone else to do it? that could work but then if I don't like it will I go batty on them... I really don't want to hurt anyone or go to jail for doing so... bad example for the children... and the piping is still coming out...

Rip the piping out ... that crossed my mind a few times... but I just can't bring my self to destroy it further... 

smh... why ... why in the world would anyone in any state of mind... with any children and OCD issues ever in the history of mankind ever buy a WHITE COUCH... don't do it.. if you have thought about it dreamed about it... DON'T... because IF you are on this forum ( which obviously if you are reading this you are) you prolly have kids (homeschooling and all)  even when they are grown and move out... they too WILL HAVE KIDS.... and they will have dirty hands and feet and pets and you husband will still be a man... you may have a dog ... or a cat... or fish that jumps out of his bowl when the cat in the hat comes to play.... you will still need coffee to function... and your white couch will never ever not ever be WHITE... so... just don't do it..

Order a new (and darker) cover! Other than a wearing slipcover, how is the couch?

We have the L-Shape... and now the short end of the L and the corner are ok... but that long part... has seen its day with all that dog on reading and cuddling we do... seriously .... pb furniture is not built to survive literature based learning.... Not at all... I don't recommend it... I am at a total loss.  I think the only reason my beautiful Microsuede furniture that I gave my mom survived for 6 years in our home because I was working and our family never saw each other.  So What furniture is built to withstand growing homeschool families?????  

I was right there with you a few years ago with the multiple loads for washing the slip covers, the threadbare condition, etc.. My husband and I just sprang for new slip covers for our sectional (Macy's). We sought out an upholsterer, picked our fabric, and voila...a new couch without the painful price tag. This couch is now going on 10 years (3 kiddos and 3 labs) but you wouldn't know it.

:-)

Okay, I am a little confused but quite intrigued.  So you bought a sectional cover at Macy's but then had a cover made?  

I can sew.  I have a machine.   I never really thought about making my own... the thought is actually quite scary.  I am afraid I would mess it up and loose the money on the fabric but you actually had a cover made?!?!?  Can I ask how much it cost?  I would love this!  I could have a pattern that would make marks, footprints from walking over the couch all of it disappear into something that would be wonderful LOL.  

That's a big bummer. :(

Linen is fairly light weight. It won't hold up to repeated washings. I'd look for a heavier fabric. Broadcloth or suede. Good luck with your search.

Will one of these actually hold up?  The only part I am having issues with is the piping around the cushions... Do you have experience with either of the two suggestions.  This may save us.  I would pay if I knew it would last more than 2 years!

Will one of these actually hold up? The only part I am having issues with is the piping around the cushions... Do you have experience with either of the two suggestions. This may save us. I would pay if I knew it would last more than 2 years!

They have the new performance fabric. http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/furniture-upholstery/sofas/performance-fabric-sofas/?cm_type=lnav

Okay, I am a little confused but quite intrigued. So you bought a sectional cover at Macy's but then had a cover made?

I can sew. I have a machine. I never really thought about making my own... the thought is actually quite scary. I am afraid I would mess it up and loose the money on the fabric but you actually had a cover made?!?!? Can I ask how much it cost? I would love this! I could have a pattern that would make marks, footprints from walking over the couch all of it disappear into something that would be wonderful LOL.

We purchased the sectional from Macy's 10 years ago. It was a beautiful dark denim that eventually faded and started ripping from the multiple washings.Two years ago this month we finally splurged a bit and found an upholsterer to make us new slip covers. We looked online for local upholsterers, interviewed a few, picked the guy, and off we went. :-) Actually, he was the only guy who agreed to take on our couch. The others took one look at the sectional and ran for dear life. Apparently it was a big job??? At any rate, we chose another dark (really dark) denim and it is just now needing a washing...which I fear. But I digress. Ha! I believe it was close to 1200 for 6 pieces (couch, sofa, chaise, two chairs and an ottoman). Definitely not cheap, but we love that couch and paid almost 5x that amount for it when we were young and thought money grew on trees. :-)

We purchased the sectional from Macy's 10 years ago. It was a beautiful dark denim that eventually faded and started ripping from the multiple washings.Two years ago this month we finally splurged a bit and found an upholsterer to make us new slip covers. We looked online for local upholsterers, interviewed a few, picked the guy, and off we went. :-) Actually, he was the only guy who agreed to take on our couch. The others took one look at the sectional and ran for dear life. Apparently it was a big job??? At any rate, we chose another dark (really dark) denim and it is just now needing a washing...which I fear. But I digress. Ha! I believe it was close to 1200 for 6 pieces (couch, sofa, chaise, two chairs and an ottoman). Definitely not cheap, but we love that couch and paid almost 5x that amount for it when we were young and thought money grew on trees. :-)

I just looked up how much it would cost to get the performance Suede ... 1700 NOT happening...  I paid just over 3k for ours... I am not real thrilled with the outcome... I don't think I will be sinking more $ into this couch... I will definitely throw a sheet over it once we move again and it is all clean and set up... in 3 weeks... then when people come over maybe they will be too scared to sit on it! HA!

I just can't believe you got a white couch at all.  I never thought anyone who wasn't a super villain  or a billionaire real estate tycoon (or both!) actually owned white furniture.

12 years DH and I still cannot pick a color palette that we both like... so everything is white... my bedroom the bathroom the livingroom... I am adding color when we move in a few weeks but yea... insane asylum here!

12 years DH and I still cannot pick a color palette that we both like... so everything is white... my bedroom the bathroom the livingroom... I am adding color when we move in a few weeks but yea... insane asylum here!

I can honestly say that when it comes to our house we have never considered any colour or even an item based on what we like. I am 100% serious when I say that our top consideration is how easy it is to clean it or make it look clean. And if we did disagree, whichever choice hid dirt or stains better would win. Not even a contest.

Don't judge my house by that picture! LOL! We are trying to get our house ready to sell. That was after cleaning that room for the weekend. It sure doesn't look like that now . . .sigh. I'm dreading this house selling thing.

we ended up renting ours out ... works out great as a lovely tax deduction.... its like a blessing and a curse that we loose money every year because of that investment... I know in the long run it will work out... but right now it is the bane of my existence. (aside from the couch)

We happen to move a lot too, thanks to the military. I get accused of being a hippie quite a bit, so I went with it after getting rid of our leather couch due to my Mom's allergy to commercial leather treatment chemicals. :D We have four Corda-roys "bean" (foam) bag chairs as living room furniture. No couch. No end tables. Just bean bags. My kids love it. They can do all kinds of acrobatics and flying drop-kicks on the "furniture". 😄

We have a leather sofa that we have had for almost 18 years.   It won't die.  We have two matching chairs as well (recliners).  They are dark green leather, which was quite popular back then!

If you get a decent quality leather and take care of it (clean and condition about once per year at least), they certainly do last a LONG time.

Our living room sofa is cloth but it is Flexsteel and very well made.

I can honestly say that when it comes to our house we have never considered any colour or even an item based on what we like. I am 100% serious when I say that our top consideration is how easy it is to clean it or make it look clean. And if we did disagree, whichever choice hid dirt or stains better would win. Not even a contest.

Agreed. Couch colors -- Dk Brown or Dk Grey.. Goes with everything. Doesn't have to be cleaned all the time. The next couch we get will probably be leather. The one we have is not and is ~10 years old. We've NEVER washed the covers (Not sure they are washable. There is foam inside and a zipper on the side...)  We didn't wash the couch growing up either.  Maybe once a year it would get vacuumed. And spot-cleaned when needed.

I would buy cheaper while your kids are littles - through early teens.   I would buy a brown couch (chocolate).  You WILL get tired of the brown - ask me how I know.  But, it will not show the dirt as easily.  Buy throw pillows that have color and pop.  Change those as often as you change your styles/colors in the living room - or whenever you want - they're MUCH cheaper than a couch.  I would not buy leather, personally.  It does wipe down easily, but there are other issues and it's expensive.

Good luck.

We had a very expensive sofa and chairs set custom made before we had kids.  It is a cafe au lait color and a fine twill and even though we had it professionally scotch-guarded, it shows everything!  I just kept sheets over it when we used it with our kids, I took them off when someone came over.  Now we moved that set into the living room and that room is off limits to kids.  I bought a cheap white IKEA sofa that they are allowed to be on in the playroom.  That cover is indestructible, I have washed it a zillion times and it is not coming apart at all.  It is actually pretty comfy, too.  The other sofa is just for looks...or when company comes, the adults can sit on it.  

What I would probably do is buy some slipcovers from Surefit or something cheap like that. Keep them tucked away until company comes over and then put them on. Knocking yourself out over something that is going to get dirty so quickly is just not worth it to me.

I have microfiber covered dining chairs and had to clean them weekly because the kids are just messy when they eat. I went from cleaning weekly to plastic chair covers to towels to cleaning them once and telling the kids they are responsible for their chairs. They vacuum them and if they need to be cleaned, they spray them with cleaner and scrub. I was tired of it and needed for them to see just how messy they were. 

I actually went to solid wood chairs because of this ... I used to have cushions for them but everytime my husband sat down he would move so much he ripped the ties off!

Look on eBay for a new cover. Or have one made. We had a denim slipcovered sectional that I absolutely loved. The older it got, the softer the denim and more wonderful it became. I bought it from a couple that had more money than sense and they hadn't measured the room it was going into. I paid $300 and sold it to a bunch of college kids 5 years later for $200. (military moves also).

Sorry that that happened to you. I'm glad you saved me the same mistake. There is a product you can buy next time to coat the fabric with so that it doesn't accept stains as easily. It's like Scotch Guard but maybe higher quality. Fabricoat? Not sure, but I would look into that.

Get a Karlstad sofa from IKEA. You can then buy slipcovers for not too much $$ from IKEA, and also loads of slipcovers from Bemz including ones with long skirts. I think Bemz supplies IKEA with their slipcovers but I'm not sure.

We recently replaced our Room and Board piece o'junk with Karlstad which is 100x better, IMO, and way less expensive. I have the following slipcovers:

gray Sivik cover: kind of like a stiff denim; can wash but air drying is probably best

Blekinge white: still sitting in its package

Korndal brown: dark brown and a little bit of black nubby fabric; dry clean only but some people claim to have washed theirs successfully

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29840520/

http://www.bemz.com/en-us/products/sofa-covers/karlstad/

smh... why ... why in the world would anyone in any state of mind... with any children and OCD issues ever in the history of mankind ever buy a WHITE COUCH... don't do it.. if you have thought about it dreamed about it... DON'T... because IF you are on this forum ( which obviously if you are reading this you are) you prolly have kids (homeschooling and all)  even when they are grown and move out... they too WILL HAVE KIDS.... and they will have dirty hands and feet and pets and you husband will still be a man... you may have a dog ... or a cat... or fish that jumps out of his bowl when the cat in the hat comes to play.... you will still need coffee to function... and your white couch will never ever not ever be WHITE... so... just don't do it..

Will one of these actually hold up?  The only part I am having issues with is the piping around the cushions... Do you have experience with either of the two suggestions.  This may save us.  I would pay if I knew it would last more than 2 years!

I have had a white Ektorp sectional from IKEA for almost two years and I still love it! It washes up really well and has held up beautifully to abuse from three kids (and their guests) and a 100 pound dog. I truly believe it is because of the fabric. It is made of very sturdy fabric (don't know if it is broadcloth; it's like like white denim). I think the problem is with something more delicate, like white linen. So, yes, I think trying a new slipcover fabric would be a great idea. It's too late to choose another couch, but one reason I chose IKEA over PB is that to buy a brand new white slipcover for the sectional is only $99 (more for other colors, but still much, much less than a replacement slipcover from PB). 

There are loads of tutorials on blogs about making new slip covers.  If you're a competent sewer, you should be able to do it.  

I wanted a PB sectional too, but it was out of our budget.  I got the IKEA sectional ($200-300 for new slip covers) and I love it.  We got it in the tan color, but I'm thinking of getting a new set in the summer, just to switch it up.  Or maybe I'll wait until fall and go with a darker color.

I'll look and see if I can find some tutorials on slip covers.  I know I've read them before!  I'm pretty sure Nester has one.  If I find them, I'll link them for you.

Found one!  The Nester even has a video.

Since you can sew, you can think of making your own slip cover. Or, if you don't have time for that project, you can buy a slipcover from surefit like PPs have mentioned (in a tan/brown color - a suede or some such material) - they have "stretch" type covers that fit very snugly. All you have to do is spot clean frequently and wash it once in a while. I use one of these for our old couch which has been around for almost 15 years. I bought a living room set in tan leather and it has lasted almost 9 years so far. It is the best investment on furniture that I have made so far. My local Bed Bath and Beyond store used to carry a small collection of surefits and with their 20% coupon worked out a lot cheaper than fromt he websites.

Surefit suede covers link

My parents thought they were safe when my brother was 13 and I was 15... they got a light yellow couch.

Not even a month after they got it, I come back after a Search and Rescue mission and pass out on the couch... not realizing that the Sharpie in my pocket was leaking.

Yeah... They weren't too happy. I feel a little guilty every time I go home, now (they still have the couch... tried some leather coloring on it, looks a little better but still noticable).

I will never have a light couch. Just not happening.