Menu

Is there an 8th grade thread yet?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, I've been waiting for this!  (Editing because I've made changes already!)

Math:  Finish Horizons Pre-Algebra.  Start Horizons Algebra.  Also continue with Singapore Primary level 4 (vsl here.  Hard is easy and easy is hard.)

Writing with Skill level 1.

Grammar:  Voyages in English 8.

Literature:  WTM recommendations for Early Modern Times.  I'm really excited about the fairy tales.  Is that weird?  And Don Quixote.  Usborne has a cute young reader version I just ordered!

History:  SOTW Early Modern Times, plus Classical Conversations flashcards on New World (we just memorize the events and dates, but the visuals on the cards are absolutely helpful).

Comprehension Plus D

Abeka Spelling/Vocab for 8th grade

Maps Charts Graphs H

Science unit studies on Einstein, Forensics, Cats, Dogs, and Teeth, in no particular order.

French:  So You Really Want to Learn French 1

Bible:  Notgrass Draw to Learn Psalms

Some workbooks on genre and figurative language.

Abeka Health 8

Okay, here's mine. :)

Writing:  Lively Art of Writing + WriteGuide (writing across the curriculum)

Vocabulary: Word within the Word (continuing from wherever we leave off, then next level)

Literature: Lightning Lit 8 (select) + a few other lit selections

Grammar: 4Practice (continuing from wherever we leave off, then next level)

Math: AoPS Intermediate Algebra + Pizzazz Algebra for review/extra practice

History: US History (Hakim or K12 American Odyssey) - going back and forth on this one... + Mapwork

Science: CPO Physics: A First Course

Foreign Language: German Sat. School

Technology: Outside class in building and electronics

Programming (trying to figure something out for this)?

I know I don't have any art, music, or PE.  We'll most likely be doing a coop one afternoon a week next year (really for extra social and enrichment, not core subjects), hopefully something will come up in one or more of those areas there...

ETA: Edited for formatting

Here's what we have on the roster for 8th grade:

Ambleside Online Pre-Year 7 for literature, history, some language arts, and nature, artist, & composer study

Various on-hand writing, vocabulary, & spelling workbooks (Jump In, Wordsmith, Daily Spark, the Painless series, etc)

Saxon Algebra 1

Apologia General Science into Physical Science (experiments only + some text)  

Getting Started with Spanish (love this so much, ds will continue with it)

Weekly CCD religion class (Confirmation)

Health and technology will be informal

Updated on 8/30/14.

Dd13 is on her 3rd week of 8th grade and this is what we are doing so far:

Algebra 1 (Saxon)

Language Lessons Through Literature 5 (3x)
Wordly Wise
Successful English (2x)
Apologia General Science
SOTW 3 with readings from SL cores H and 100 that fit the time period. Also, Australian history from that same time period.
Violin
Piano
Mark Kistler online drawing lessons
Artistic Pursuits (I think....)

Swimming

I am still fleshing this out but this is what I have so far. 

Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra

Lightning Literature with some additional books to just read

Abeka grammar

Kilgallon for writing

Word roots

CK-12 Earth Science 

History will be joined with her younger (6th grade) sister and will consist of SOTW book 3 with emphasis on the US History.  Sweet-Pea will be using K12's American Odyssey book also and we are throwing in activities from the Time traveler's CD's mainly for younger DD who needs hands on activities. 

Hoping that Getting Started with French will be published by fall but if not, something for French.  

ETA:  This child also takes dance classes and does lots of local theatre workshops/productions.  She plans to pursue a theatre degree in college so this is a big focus of ours now. 

What we have so far:

Math: Aops Algebra

Grammar: Rod and Staff 7
Vocab: Finish Caesar's English 2 and then no more vocab "programs" for us.

Lit: Novels + selections from Journeys Through Bookland. I like Progeny Press guides and I plan to get Windows to the World. Also have my eye on Teaching with Movies.

ETA:  Oops, instead of Teaching with Movies, I meant Movies As Literature.

Writing: Homegrown using Lively Art of Writing plus my reverse engineered version of WWS2, and a healthy dose of Warriner's Composition and Models.

History: continue through K12. Not sure how far we will get this year. We are sloow, but DS likes geography, civics and current events. A lot. All good stuff, but it does slow down history. Need to do more w/ primary sources.

Geography: Am very tempted by IGCSE Geography right now.

Science: Somewhat interest led. Unit studies for sure. No way am I willing to give a whole year to one discipline until I have to!

Danish: Tutor + college textbook + lit approach. DS will earn a high school worthy credit here.

Art: My son's LEAST favorite subject. I refuse to drop it, knowing that he will probably never again study studio art after middle school.

Music: Piano and ABRSM music theory (slow pace, mock exams only). But we sure have had a solid groove going on for music appreciation. It has been a highlight of the year. So...continue.

TBD:
Latin (we will finish GSWL this year). Henle? New Millenium?
Theology
Logic / Programming

We enrolled in Kolbe Academy this year, and will do so next year also.

Thanks for starting the thread!  :hurray:

Both of us really like history this year & luckily there is a 'next book,' so I know what we're doing for that. In other cases, I know what I want her to do -- but not necessarily what materials or class we're going to use. Preliminary plan:

Math:

Abeka Algebra 1 w/DVDs.

She'll finish Pre-Algebra this spring, but I'm pondering if I want her to do something "extra" until fall. Enrichment. Something different. ??

History:

Light to the Nations 2

Language Arts:

Windows to the World or Elegant Essay or WWS2?

Lit that goes w/history picked by me or WttW's lit if I go w/Elegant Essay

Science:

Rainbow Science Year 1

Foreign Language:

Latin - MP's Second Form (w/on-line class?)

Spanish - Online class (Spanish Clicks?)

Undecided:  Religion? Logic? Music? Grammar? Really looking hard at those "high school skills" and wondering what else I should be focusing on. Study skills?

Continuing w/karate & homeschool PE.

These are for sure.

Bible: Old Story New (daily devotion/discussion)

History: Mystery of History 3 (Renaissance)

Science: BJU Physical Science

Math: Horizons Algebra I plus weekly Mad Minutes for drill

Spanish: Visual Link Spanish Level 2

Critical Thinking: The Thinking Toolbox

Literature: Kolbe Academy Jr. High Literature

These, I am still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do.  I need to decide if we want to continue with formal grammar instruction or take a break and focus more on writing.  Also not sure if vocabulary is a waste of time for this particular kid.  Wordly Wise 7 has seemed like busy work. 

Grammar/Writing: either Rod and Staff English 8 or Jump In or both? 

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 8?

Art Appreciation/Music Appreciation: ???  No idea yet, but I want to do a semester of each.  I'm going to go back through this thread to look for suggestions.

Study Skills:  Again,  no idea, but I want to make sure he's prepared for high school.  He wants to go back to public school then.  We will see, but study skills would be helpful, either way.

Here's our list-

Math - finish Saxon Algebra 1, move on to 2 (we school semi-year round)

Science - BJU 8 Space and Earth On DVD

History/geography/Literature/writing/Bible - Sonlight Core G

LA - CLE 8

Reading - CLE 8

I've come to realize two things about my kids. One, we're STEM people. We are math and science focused. It's us. I dont mind dropping 2-3 hours a day on those plus Bible.Second, my kids read and read and read. (DD read the unabridged Hobbit in a day, loved it, and begged for the whole LOTR series...) Sonlight fits us really well, and I need to just get over my box snobbery. It's concise for us, and we really love it.

Here's my plan:

Geometry - co-op

Spanish - co-op

Science - co-op

English - R&S 8; Lightning Lit 8

History - Biblioplan year 3

Music - band (co-op) & private lessons

My rising 8th grader wants to be as independent as possible, and no longer wants me to be the teacher, but doesn't want to go to public middle school.  English is the only class I teach now (that one class is apparently "okay" for me to teach :) ).

So far this is what I am reasonably certain we'll use. (Subject to change without notice. ;))

This is no longer completely correct.

Updates in post down-thread. . .

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra, TC Course and book--Secrets of Mental Math

Grammar: MCT The Magic Lens Vol. 2, MCT 4Practice Vol. 2, Stewart English Program Principles Plus

Vocabulary: MCT The Word Within the Word Vol. 2

Writing: Writing With Skill (Finish 2 start 3), MCT Advanced Academic Writing Vol. 2

Science: ????, Chemistry labs--outsourced, Weekly talks/discussions/lectures by local scientists, New Scientist

History: ???

Geography: Continue songs, National Geographic

Poetry: MCT Poetry, Plato, and the Problem of Beauty

Literature: ???

Philosophy: Doubt: A History (continue)

Logic: The Snake and the Fox (Continue), Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language

Spanish: So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, Duolingo

Current Events: The Economist, The Week, Mental Floss, The Atlantic

Assigned Reading/Share Reading in various subjects:???????

PE: Horseback riding, running, walking, biking, yoga, swimming, self-defense, etc

• Studio Art: Focuses on watercolor and pencil.

Orchestra 

Algebra: Algebra by McDougal Littell.

Physical Science: Prentice Hall "Science Explorer" Series.

Latin III: WheelockĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Latin Grammar

History: world geography with an emphasis on how land and water formations shape political, economic and cultural life.

Literature/Composition: Hake Grammar , composition focusing on paragraphs and topic sentences. Books include Beowulf, The Chosen, The Hobbit, The Miracle Worker and A Christmas Carol.

8th grade this year

Writing With Skill 1

Rod and Staff Grammar 8

Henle Latin 1, moving at a snails pace which we started last year, We'll still be doing it next year

Math- MEP 6, but at lesson 50 we recently moved to Singapore 6.  A lot of it is going quickly, Plan to finish it by late May and start Alg 1 next year

History - SOTW 4 and BJU 8th grade American History text (writing the main point of each paragraph), and biographies

Science - variety of topics this year, but recently started next year's book Conceptual Physics, hoping to get a routine down and speed up before next year.

Logic- piecing together from Socratic Logic, Traditional Logic, and a few other books.  We'll continue this next year. 

We school from Jan-Dec, following the $99 BJU sale :) so my daughter is sort of in 8th grade right now.

Math: Saxon Algebra I

Science: Just finished BJU Earth Science + Astronomy & Env. Science DSST's, now starting BJU Physical Science (both online).

Literature: Just finished BJU 9th gr Analyzing Literature course added to Education Portal Analyzing Literature course + Analyzing Literature CLEP

History: Currently a study and research paper on the Reformation and Church History. One of the resources is MOH.

Geography: BJU online course

Finished a religion class at church, takes weekly lessons on two instruments, is part of a homeschool choir.

Okay...guess I will play...

History - Ancients - various AO books, k12 Human Odyssey

Math - continue Saxon Algebra 1

Science - Prentice Hall Science Explorer and maybe Science Bits (thanks to another thread)

Literature - various classical works - Iliad Odyssey, other AO titles (from AO 6 and 7)

Writing and Grammar - either finish CW homer/Aesop or move on to Diogenes

Bible - read it

Latin - probably Big Book of Latin 2

Spanish - 1 phrase per week

Or since we are moving to Orlando we will just do Disney School, just kidding (a little)!

LA: WWS2, Wordly Wise 8, and Easy Grammar Ultimate 8, Lightning Lit 8

Math: AOPS Intro to Algebra

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Language: Finish Latin Alive 1 then move to Latin Alive 2

History/Geography: Runkle's Wonderful World of Geography. I want to do MFW Ancients for 9th so are going to do a geography year.

Music: Piano Lessons and Children's Chorus

PE: Tae Kwon Do.

Bible: Fundamentals of the Faith & Notgrass Drawing to Learn Proverbs

Edited to add choices made. :)

My rising 8th grader wants to be as independent as possible, and no longer wants me to be the teacher, but doesn't want to go to public middle school.  English is the only class I teach now (that one class is apparently "okay" for me to teach :) ).

This is both of my kids, too.  I am allowed to check their work and answer questions when they need help, but that's about it. :D

Okay, I think I have ours figured out.  DD will be starting 8th in the fall, but some of this stuff we're starting on now.

Math: Saxon 8/7 with Pre-algebra

Language Arts: Grammar: Growing With Grammar 8

Writing: WWS 1 and CTT Creative Writing

Literature: Lightning Lit 8

History: Connect the Thoughts with K12 HO, Vol. 1

Science: Connect the Thoughts

Geography: World Geography and You

Current Events: Connect the Thoughts

Music History: Connect the Thoughts

Music Theory and Performance: Alfred's Music Theory course;

private theory, piano, and clarinet lessons; band

P. E.: Dance company

My DD12 has been like this since 4th grade. Luckily, her reading comprehensions is very good. There have been bumps in the road but by allowing her to be independent (I set the assignments though) she is now starting to come to me to discuss and go over her subjects as they are getting more challenging.  She has always been my "I do it myself" girl.

So far I have planned:

Language Arts

Hake Grammar

Sequential Spelling

English from the Roots Up (Continued from this year)

One Year Adventure Novel

Math

MUS Algebra

Hands on Equations

History

TOG - Year 3

Geography

Continue with Mapping and drawing (using multiple programs)

Maps, Charts and Graphs (continued)

Science

Physical Science - Exploration Education (tried this year but it was too much with our other science programs so she will focus on only this)

So far this is what I am reasonably certain we'll use. (Subject to change without notice. ;))

Math: AoPS Intro to Algebra, TC Course and book--Secrets of Mental Math

Grammar: MCT The Magic Lens Vol. 2, MCT 4Practice Vol. 2, Stewart English Program Principles Plus

Vocabulary: MCT The Word Within the Word Vol. 2

Writing: Writing With Skill (Finish 2 start 3), MCT Advanced Academic Writing Vol. 2

Science: ????, Chemistry labs--outsourced, Weekly talks/discussions/lectures by local scientists, New Scientist

History: ???

Geography: Continue songs, National Geographic

Poetry: MCT Poetry, Plato, and the Problem of Beauty

Literature: ???

Philosophy: Doubt: A History (continue)

Logic: The Snake and the Fox (Continue), Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language

Spanish: So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, Duolingo

Current Events: The Economist, The Week, Mental Floss, The Atlantic

Assigned Reading/Share Reading in various subjects:???????

PE: Horseback riding, running, walking, biking, yoga, swimming, self-defense, etc

Have you used MCT's Advanced Writing 1? Anything you can share about this?

DD will start in July:

Language Arts - Moving Beyond the Page Age 12-14 full year package

Math - Saxon, Alg 1 Khan Academy

Combined with 7th Gr. bro:

Latin/Grammar? - Vocabulary from Classical Roots, A

History - History Odyssey, Modern Times Level 2

Science -Periodic Table - The Elements, Ellen McHenry,

- Chemistry - various SuperCharged Science lessons/labs, Khan Academy

Also:

Logic - Critical Thinking in US History (as the material corresponds to certain history lessons)

Typing- Mavis Beacon

Character and Life Skill lessons

Viola lessons

Health - MBTP, "Health and the Human Body".

Have you used MCT's Advanced Writing 1? Anything you can share about this?

We are using it now as a supplement. Our main writing program is Writing With Skill Level 2.

There is not much detail in AAW, but it excels in other areas. It's more of an overview, push higher type program.

WWS has the nuts and bolts

AAW has the inspiration and wings

WWS has the how

AAW has the why

That might be of no help whatsoever.  ;)  Do you have any specific questions?

Math: AOPS Intro to Counting &Probability and finish Intro to Algebra book chapters 14-end last half of the year

Language Arts: Windows to the World, WWS3, Killagon for high school, Vocabulary for the College Bound

Science: Advanced Chemistry (MrQ)

Latin: So You Think you Want to Learn Latin 2

History: Something that has to do with the modern era coupled with current events

Logic: The Snake and The Fox: An introduction to Logic

Just starting to plan, here are my tentative ideas:

Math - Foerster's Algebra 1

Language Arts - R&S 8, CW Diogenes Chreia, Word Within the Word 1, and book list tbd

Latin - Latin Alive 2

Greek - Elementary Greek 3

History - based on Miller's Story of the Middle Ages and Story of the Renaissance and Reformation

Science - physical science resources tbd

Logic - Traditional Logic 1

Music - The Story of Classical Music

Art - ?? may continue with Hammond books or try coop class

• 2 weeks later...

8th grade dd-

(can't believe it!) :laugh: 

There is so much left to consider...

History- SL core? (w/ her 6th grade brother), Oak Meadow?, Notgrass??

Science- really no clue..Winter Promise, something online, or Abeka..itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s her choice- she will do Physical Science or Environmental Science by ninth, in high school (she is on a slower math and science track than her older sister and thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s okay..)

Math- Finish TT Pre-Alg and do Key to Alg..and maybe TC or some other supplemental helpĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

Lit- a few GB, mainly undecided, lol

Writing- prompts from history, maybe NanoWriMo, and perhaps something else (see Philosophy)

Vocab- not sure, if anythingĂ¢â‚¬Â¦may wait until high school for Ă¢â‚¬Å“formalĂ¢â‚¬ vocabulary

Philosophy- not sure..although- Philosophy Adventures looks like something we can use loosely; it looks pretty good.

Spanish- continue with ACE and VL (I really like the ACE workbooks, but I wish they had a Spanish 2)

Italian- Rosetta Stone with the Berlitz Self Teacher

Computer- various programming resources and Ă¢â‚¬Â¦Youth Digital Ă¢â‚¬Å“somethingĂ¢â‚¬ for a formal class

Art- outsourced with her older, homeschooled sister (they are taking the same class, lol)

Other activities may include 4H and or theater, swimming, yoga, horseback riding

Y'all are stressing me out!!!  I'm still trying to fix our misses for seventh grade. Gah!

6th and 7th are one big muddled mess of a blur, so I just gave up and started looking at plans for 8th.

The moves affected us much more than I had anticipated. Some regrettable curriculum choices threw us off as well. We are not where I had expected to be, for sure.

Hope everything gets sorted out! Hang in there!

Some regrettable curriculum choices threw us off as well. We are not where I had expected to be, for sure.

Yep, I'm still struggling trying to figure out what will work because a few things we have are not working well. Plus, we had a few months of life being more stressful than usual. We are farther behind than I wanted to be, and I'm trying to remedy that and feel like I'm running in circles.

Yes and no LOL. We are using level 5 now but won't finish by the end of this school year, so we will finish it in 8h. If level 6 isn't finished by then, I am not sure what we will do. I am loving LLTL!

Quiver of 10, are you using Language Lessons Through Literature 5 for 8th?

Yes and no LOL. We are using level 5 now but won't finish by the end of this school year, so we will finish it in 8h. If level 6 isn't finished by then, I am not sure what we will do. I am loving LLTL!

We are using it too and, so far, it's great. My new 8th grader (just started our school year here) almost turned up her sweet nose at having to read the Emerald City - but now she likes it... :) . We are using some lower levels too and I really like them.  I hope the other levels come out in time too.

I have level 2 for my 9 year old to use next year. I hope the other levels come out in time too!

We are using it too and, so far, it's great. My new 8th grader (just started our school year here) almost turned up her sweet nose at having to read the Emerald City - but now she likes it... :) . We are using some lower levels too and I really like them.  I hope the other levels come out in time too.